What is your favourite type of bread?

I like a variety of breads, but generally, I don't like seeded loaves. Even when I'm making rye, I grind the caraway, because I don't like the seeds in it.

The sad thing for us is, with two people, bread can go bad before we finish it. I need to look into to half-loaf pans. The last bread I made, I just threw out half of it because I went to have some toast and it had mold on it.

I've tried freezing it, but after it's thawed, it's just not as good.

Up on my list is making proper croissants. I've found a good video for it, now I just have to block out the three days it takes to do it. :laugh:

That's interesting - firstly, how are you grinding it? Secondly (forgive my ignorance) - what is red wheat?
I use a nutrimill to grind my wheat. There are different varieties of wheat kernels the 2 main are white and red. White is softer and most popular. Red is a nuttier and more substance flour. They complement well together.

I use a nutrimill to grind my wheat. There are different varieties of wheat kernels the 2 main are white and red. White is softer and most popular. Red is a nuttier and more substance flour. They complement well together.

You know, unless its known by another name, we don't get red wheat grains (or flour) here. At least, I've never come across it. Have you, @SatNavSaysStraightOn?

You know, unless its known by another name, we don't get red wheat grains (or flour) here. At least, I've never come across it. Have you, @SatNavSaysStraightOn?
Yes and No. Yes just not by name.

When we moved out to Australia the first thing we noticed was that wholemeal flour was white and indistinguishable from white flour when side by side. The stuff we had been purchasing in the UK was clearly wholemeal flour, even when we bought 5kg bags of atta flour, out had a definite wholemeal look to it. Coming too Australia, we lost that. Standard wholemeal (in both plain and self raising forms) were white in colour. The same with atta flour (which is just very finely beyond wholemeal flour for chappati).

Reading up on the difference between hard red wheat and hard white white, that difference would now make sense.

But I've never purchased wheat to grind my own flour in either country. So I'd not expect to have come across the difference. The only wheat colours I've seen are green wheat (freekah) and when I've cooked with whole wheat in (Persian) dishes calling for it and then, from what I've read, it's been white wheat I've been purchasing though I can't tell you if it is the hard or soft version (winter or summer grown).

Nice soft white, with a lovely crust, like the tiger stripe pattern, baguettes, 50-50, not struck on wholemeal.

White cheesy bread here for me, wife's anything with seeds or whole meal.

Russ

image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom