What is your most hated kitchen cleaning job?

Which is your most hated kitchen cleaning task?

• Cleaning the oven

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Cleaning the fridge

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • De-frosting the freezer

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Cleaning the kitchen floor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emptying and cleaning kitchen bins

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Cleaning the sink

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:04 PM
We all have cleaning jobs we dislike - what is your most disliked cleaning job in the kitchen? Mine is emptying the kitchen bin (or bins) and keeping them clean. Why hasn't someone invented a disposable eco friendly pop-up kitchen bin?

Next is cleaning the oven - but I get a company in to do that.

I have a self-clean oven, so that's not a problem. I hate cleaning the fridge, though. Emptying it all out, wiping all the shelves, it's just cumbersome and annoying.

They're common here. I'm assuming maybe a very basic oven wouldn't have a self-clean feature, but just about every oven does that's sold here.

The way it works is simple - you make sure your oven is empty, press the "clean" button, and the oven door locks. Then, over about three hours, the oven heats up to some godawful temp, like 800F or 900F, and essentially burns everything off the entire interior surface of the oven, then cools back down.

Open the door at the end of the cycle, and you'll have a little pile of ash to brush up. That's it.

It doesn't work as well on the glass panel on the front, but if you catch it right when it's done, you can usually wipe or scrape the glass clean.

Also, some ovens have a shorter "steam clean" cycle - you pour a few cups of boiling water in the bottom of the oven, and it locks and heats up a bit hotter than usual, but not super-hot, and it creates steam which is supposed to soften all the gunk and make it easy to wipe out, but it doesn't really work that well for me.

Remember a while ago we were talking about pizza ovens? I made the comment then that a couple of people I know have permanently disabled the safety lock on the oven, and when they want to bake a pizza the "real" way, they'll run a clean cycle, let the oven heat up to that super-hot temp, then throw their pizza in and they can churn them out in 90 seconds or so, just like a wood-fired oven.

I always leave my pizza stone in and it'll burn that clean as well, and it's also a good way to strip the seasoning from a cast iron skillet, if you ever want to re-season one from scratch.

I should say I have an electric oven, not gas. I'm not sure about a gas oven, but I'd think they'd have something similar.

Open the door at the end of the cycle, and you'll have a little pile of ash to brush up. That's it.

Wow! I have heard of self clean but didn't know how they worked (or if they worked). I'm not sure how advanced the oven technology is here but it should be on a par.

But hey - if the ovens can heat to that temperature then why don't they do that in normal mode to cook pizza?

But hey - if the ovens can heat to that temperature then why don't they do that in normal mode to cook pizza?

That's what I say! Probably a combination of safety (like 525F is ok?) and a new revenue opportunity (selling purpose-built pizza ovens).

To me, the messiest, sloppiest & most atrosious job is cleaning the stove & the oven!! All that black gunk that is sometimes so hard to remove!! But recently, I got a new stove, so, I won't have to clean it for a while! :wink:

Nasty Stove!.jpg

Some people let their stove get like THIS! I wouldn't eat there!! :headshake::stop::eek::mad:

To me, the messiest, sloppiest & most gross job is cleaning the oven!! All that black gunk that is sometimes so hard to remove!! But recently, I got a new stove, so, I won't have to clean it for a while! :wink:

Last edited:
Cleaning the canopy every few months.

The grime and build up is disgusting, dread it every time.

The way it works is simple - you make sure your oven is empty, press the "clean" button, and the oven door locks. Then, over about three hours, the oven heats up to some godawful temp, like 800F or 900F, and essentially burns everything off the entire interior surface of the oven, then cools back down.

We have those here too - they're called pyrolytic ovens and they're quite expensive, but yes, they do work very well!
What's more common are ovens with catalytic self-cleaning walls (but not floors or ceilings) - in my experience those type don't work very well though.
I get a company in to clean my oven once a year - its not expensive and they are much quicker and do a better job than me.

The job I hate is cleaning the hob: its stainless steel so its almost impossible to get a streak-free finish. Plus as its gas you also have the pan rests and burners to clean.

I voted other.
I don't mind cleaning the stove top and the oven isn't bad either. I can't use harsh chemicals living on a septic tank so I just wipe things over regularly. The new stove helps being halogen.
Bins are not a problem, little goes into them other than plastic film that can't be recycled and soggy tissues. Hubby gets through a lot. Veg matter had its own bin, recycling another. So the kitchen bin is only really emptied twice a month even I go around the house and empty all the other bins. It doesn't smell because there's nothing in it to go off.
I don't wash the floors often (cough) but they do get regularly hovered with the vinyl floor attachment.
Again the fridge isn't often cleaned. It simply doesn't need it and we only buy frost free freezers so there really is no defrosting it.
I can't remember what else was on your list.

My other was washing the dishes. I generally leave it to hubby because I break too much not having full grip or feeling in one hand (same one that had the fused wrist though the nerve injury is not because of the fusion but was caused by the original injury resulting in the need for 11 operations over 15 years on the wrist, one if those being the fusion).

Back
Top Bottom