What is your oldest kitchen gadget, appliance or other kitchen item?

I'd forgotten about the knives from my late Grannie. They were part of her wedding gifts back at the end of WWII.
I've got some plates and some tablespoons that were my Mum's. They are older than me, and could well date from the 1920s when she got married. Some of the saucepans I use regularly were ones I bought new in the 1960s, and some of my own knives, cake forks, and fish knives were bought secondhand in the 1960s too. I also have a dinner service, cups, saucers, soup bowls, plates, and a coffee service that were bought in the early to mid-1970s, as well as some people gave me which are older than that.

It could be this one:
IMG_1995.JPG

Can't remember where it came from but it is old. Given my dislike (ok, incompetence) at baking it doesn't come out very often.
Or it could be this, inherited from my late mother-in-law:
IMG_1996.JPG

I forgot about the glass ware from G's Mother. It is not crystal but in today's market it is considered collectable glass ware. I am currently coming down with a cold and brain dead. I can not remember the manufacturer. I have looked it up in the past. I am not crazy about the style. I do make use of some of the serving pieces - retro and kind of cool. The glass ware was mostly wedding gifts. Late 30's.

Well, I have my mother's china that was bought in late 1960s, and my own silverware that she started buying for me in early 1970s. I do have 1 of her cookbooks that is over 60 years old too.

But what Craig and I have bought together, our oldest is either our French mandolin or our hand crank
Italian pasta machine. Both bought in early 1990s, we can't remember which was bought first.

Well, I have my mother's china that was bought in late 1960s, and my own silverware that she started buying for me in early 1970s. I do have 1 of her cookbooks that is over 60 years old too.

But what Craig and I have bought together, our oldest is either our French mandolin or our hand crank
Italian pasta machine. Both bought in early 1990s, we can't remember which was bought first.

I see that this thread has expanded to encompass china and glass! Why not? I'll amend the thread title. I have a lot of lovely 1950's ceramic cups and plates. They are very eccentric and I love them. I must get them out - they are buried in the cellar.

Yep, both of those things were big bucks back then. That mandolin was nearly $200 because there just weren't that many of them around and they were only found in speciality stores. I remember because I nearly had a heart attack.
Surely there are cheaper ways to shave off the ends of your fingers?

Back
Top Bottom