What kind of butter do you buy?

I reckon nz produce some of the world's best butter. Quite yellow company to American from what I've observed. Convince me I'm wrong.
( in steps mg)

Ps I know you broke your leg. I get e mails from members. Hope you keeping off it.

Russ

Yes they do. If you ever see Lewis Road Creamery Butter buy as much as you can carry and then just try to stop eating it.

I won a kilogram of their butter in a competition- it had to be sent by plane as we don’t get it here retail.

It’s amazing.

Yes they do. If you ever see Lewis Road Creamery Butter buy as much as you can carry and then just try to stop eating it.

I won a kilogram of their butter in a competition- it had to be sent by plane as we don’t get it here retail.

It’s amazing.
We get it here as well. Dont know what price though????

Russ

A lot, if not all, of commercial butter has food coloring added to make it yellow. When you make butter yourself, it is nowhere near the color of commercially made butter.

I know this because long ago I was in 4H, a kid's organization, back when it was almost entirely focused on agriculture. There used to be fairs where kids that raised pigs, cattle, other farm animals would show them. Kids that grew vegetables would show their efforts. And there would be booths that demonstrated what could be done with farm products, one of which was butter making. Everybody wanted to be in that booth because you got to sample freshly made butter on saltines (even though you were supposed to be giving them out as samples).

Colouring is generally added to butter when the cows are grain fed.

That’s not much of a thing here for dairy cows (some beef is finished on grain)

Another surprising thing is that butter is made in huge quantities during the height of spring and early summer & again in Autumn then packed and frozen for supply during the whole year.

There’s much more cream at these times of year so it makes sense.

Colouring is generally added to butter when the cows are grain fed.

That’s not much of a thing here for dairy cows (some beef is finished on grain)

Another surprising thing is that butter is made in huge quantities during the height of spring and early summer & again in Autumn then packed and frozen for supply during the whole year.

There’s much more cream at these times of year so it makes sense.
Ours are mainly grass fed. If not all.

Russ

All cattle, at least in the us, are grass fed most of their life. Some beef cattle are grass fed all the way, while others are fattened up on corn/grain near the end.

CD

Globally corn makes 10% of the plants we feed all kind of meat producers (beef pork and more), except fish. It varies by the company

Not a connossieur. Kerry Gold, Breakstone Whipped, Breakstone or Land 'O Lakes Quarters.

I haven't heard the name Breakstone in many years. We don't have that brand down here.

CD

Last edited:
We have regular and whipped Breakstone butter (both varieties, salted or unsalted).

For me butter is butter. I buy unsalted because I only use it for cooking. I buy margarine to spread on things. I agree with Caseydog. Land o Lakes is reliably good. So are store brand butters around here. My margarine is called "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" but of course it's not butter.

Back
Top Bottom