What kind of music do you like?

I love the groove and the deep bass of this track (from 2000).

A Finnish hit from a few years back:

Last edited:
I could do without the spoons, but I like that banjo player.

My open-back (frailing/clawhammer) banjo is one my dad and I made. I had to order the hardware (tuners, tone ring, etc), but all the wood (apart from the fingerboard), we made, all the way from selecting a tree and dropping that, milling it, turning the rim, and finally slapping on the heel cap:

We started in 1983, finished in 1985. It's the one thing that, if the house caught fire, I'd step over my wife and my dog to rescue. :laugh:

My open-back (frailing/clawhammer) banjo is one my dad and I made. I had to order the hardware (tuners, tone ring, etc), but all the wood (apart from the fingerboard), we made, all the way from selecting a tree and dropping that, milling it, turning the rim, and finally slapping on the heel cap:

We started in 1983, finished in 1985. It's the one thing that, if the house caught fire, I'd step over my wife and my dog to rescue. :laugh:
What a lovely instrument, my banjo was made by Deering :highfive:

What a lovely instrument, my banjo was made by Deering :highfive:
Thanks. If there's any such thing as a soul, a bit of mine and my dad's is in that.

Deering makes a fine banjo, and I give them much credit and respect for introducing a line of quality affordable banjos at a time when they really didn't have to.

Thanks. If there's any such thing as a soul, a bit of mine and my dad's is in that.

Deering makes a fine banjo, and I give them much credit and respect for introducing a line of quality affordable banjos at a time when they really didn't have to.
Let me say that the value of my banjo matches the value of my talent. As a cyclist I always note, what is the point of owning a £10k bike when I have £2k legs.

Let me say that the value of my banjo matches the value of my talent. As a cyclist I always note, what is the point of owning a £10k bike when I have £2k legs.
Is it a Deering Goodtime? If so, that's the one I was referencing when I said they deserved kudos for putting out a good-quality instrument at a decent price. Before those came out, your choices for banjos were complete crap or a couple thousand for entry-level quality. Deering found that sweet spot with the Goodtime.

The whole reason my dad and I built that earlier banjo was because I didn't want to spend a load of money on one from a builder. I wanted an open-back banjo, and there weren't many makers then (still aren't a lot), and they were all spendy.

And since we're talking banjos:

View: https://youtu.be/J2X9sTWL1UY

Is it a Deering Goodtime? If so, that's the one I was referencing when I said they deserved kudos for putting out a good-quality instrument at a decent price. Before those came out, your choices for banjos were complete crap or a couple thousand for entry-level quality. Deering found that sweet spot with the Goodtime.

The whole reason my dad and I built that earlier banjo was because I didn't want to spend a load of money on one from a builder. I wanted an open-back banjo, and there weren't many makers then (still aren't a lot), and they were all spendy.

And since we're talking banjos:

View: https://youtu.be/J2X9sTWL1UY
It is a Goodtime, and a left hander too, bought for me by my brothers on my 50th birthday and such a lovely object. I really need to make more time to practice.

Here's what that banjo sounds like:

View: https://youtu.be/LndBT_40FeI

Please note that while my dog left the room, she did come right back. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom