What kind of music do you like?

I was getting some funny looks from other drivers this morning while sitting in traffic playing the soundtrack to O Brother, Where Art Thou.

My daughter loves classic country. I can take it or leave it, though I have been to more country than rock concerts. Though the oddest one had to be when I was 16. It was supposed to be Merle Haggard and George Jones. Well George was a no show, so they offered to give anyone that wanted their money back to go to the ticket booths. I had gone to get me a coke and ran into the ex-boyfriend of a friend of a friend of mine. The guy didn't know my name but he recognized me because I was memorable. Ok it was more I was long legged brunette and my friend was a petite blond. We were nearly always together. I commented on his shirt (Scorpions t-shirt). I had already met every security guard in the place due to my father trying to get backstage.
Needless to say, I decided to watch the concert with said guy. When they announced George wasn't going to be there, Dad went to get refunds on all 3 tickets but only him and my brother were at the ticket booth. Poor woman had to call security. The head guy (who I found after the concert told me that part) told the woman to give dad the money back for all 3 tickets. He told my dad don't worry we will find your daughter. Now go home and wait by the phone but don't drink anymore until you hear from us.

Kicker of this story: everyone at the concert was in jeans, boots and western shirts except for the girl in shorts and a bikini top and guy in Scorpions tshirt. I did have a shirt but it was hot.
How does one miss that?
The security guard when I found him after the concert asked me if I had enjoyed the concert. I told him yes. He said I figured you had just got tired of dealing with your father and found somewhere else to sit. They weren't worried about me, they knew I was safe. Or they had seen where I was sitting.
Dad was pretty much sober when I called him at home and not the bar for a ride home.

My musical likes are a little like @Duck59's - I like what I like. Generally, I don't like country and western, but I like Mary Chapin Carpenter, Faith Hill, and a few other artists. Not a fan of jazz, but more the modern, no-real-melody jazz. So I have some Diana Krall in my collection. Really enjoy the old-school rockin' girls like Pat Benatar, Heart, and Akron, Ohio's own Chrissie Hynde. Got to meet her when she hosted a meet-and-greet presentation at the Akron Museum of Art's program last summer. Hynde was in town with the "official" photographer of Oasis, Jill Furmanovsky, and we tagged along with our son.

As @epicuric had mentioned, I listen to different music for different functions. When I have heavy-duty cleaning to do, I like loud rock: Shinedown, Godsmack, what I would refer to as "angry teen-aged boy" music. When I'm mellow, I prefer Beach Boys, Oasis. Thoughtful? I have what the kids would call "churchy rock-n-roll" like Michael W. Smith, Amy Grant. Driving music is stuff like Average White Band, Jimmy Buffett, Billy Joel. The only discs in my collection are rap (which I spell starting with the letter "c"), opera, and bagpipe music. The renter across the hall from our first apartment loved bagpipe music and played it loudly when she got home from work...usually right after I fell asleep for a nap on the living room couch right inside our apartment doorway. However, my opinion of said music changed dramatically the first time I heard a live tattoo in the 2-story concourse of the shopping mall I worked at. When they marched in through the main doors piping and drumming...chills! Oh, and those of you who like the ethereal music like Enya and John Serrie? You are welcome to my share - or at least what you can wrestle from hubby.

There is more, but it's late, I'm finally sleepy, and I don't plan on perusing my rack of 300+ CDs. 'Night!

I put a Van Morrison compilation on at 11:30 this morning. It's now 18:30 and it's far from finished.

As I was drifting off to sleep I started to ask for forgiveness from the music gods. How could I forget another group of our necessary "road music"? We enjoy Floyd, Moody Blues, The Who and Zeppelin so much hubby even bought a couple of Christmas discs! And even though I said I don't like rap, I find myself streaming the soundtrack from "Hamilton" a lot when I'm online. That show has a real mash-up of musical styles.

...Mary Chapin Carpenter, Faith Hill, ...Pat Benatar, Heart, and Akron, Ohio's own Chrissie Hynde. ... Shinedown, Godsmack, ...Beach Boys, Oasis. ...Michael W. Smith, Amy Grant. ...Average White Band, Jimmy Buffett, Billy Joel. ...Enya and John Serrie? ...

Well I have heard of 3 of those... :eek: and listen to 1... I'll have your share of Enya :D Beach boys I can listen to or not and as for Oasis, not a hope.
My hubby has been trying hard to expand what I listen to. I don't think its working! :laugh:

Isn't Youtube there for finding out what new music sounds like? :headphone: An e-friend mentioned the group "Postmodern Jukebox" and specifically one of the female singers, "Morgan James". Her music is a little 1940's jazz club, it's a bit bluesy, and it's the sort of music I wouldn't listen to when my Mom would play things like it. Now that I've become my Mother, I find I actually enjoy it. Shocking!

I put a Van Morrison compilation on at 11:30 this morning. It's now 18:30 and it's far from finished.

When I turned it off at 19:00 (Formula 1 time) it was on track 94. There are 142 tracks in total.

Currently on the 32 Gb stick (65% used) is:

Black Sabbath - 31 tracks
Bob Dylan - 132 tracks
Cream - 60 tracks
Deep Purple - 18 tracks
Jake Thackray - 37 tracks
Jethro Tull - 263 tracks
Jimi Hendrix - 63 tracks
Joe Cocker - 40 tracks
Joan Armatrading - 191 tracks
Kate Bush - 124 tracks
Leon Redbone - 130 tracks
Long John Baldry - 56 tracks
Martin Scorcese (History of the Blues) - 116 tracks
Mott the Hoople - 30 tracks
Pink Floyd - 163 tracks
Planxty - 60 tracks
Psychedelic Years (Compilation) - 100 tracks
Strawbs - 130 tracks
Ten Years After - 120 tracks
The Songs of Bob Dylan (Compilation) - 106 tracks
The Who - 132 tracks
Traffic - 40 tracks
The Troggs - 29 tracks
Van Morrison - 142 tracks

The next addition will be The Kinks with Sir Raymond Douglas Davies.

Classic Rock. No heavy metal. On occasion, Motown oldies - Supremes (Diana Ross), etc., Cher, The Eagles, Beachboys, Mamas and Papas. Even some Disco, Donna Summer, Blondie, Cyndi Lauper.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom