What kitchen toys did you get from Santa this Christmas?

We´ve got two, like this:
Wine rabbit
Effortless,especially since I sprained my thumb cutting the bloomin ´ hedge.
And to be honest, the foil on the top of the wine bottle, I just pull it off.

We´ve got two, like this:
Wine rabbit
Effortless,especially since I sprained my thumb cutting the bloomin ´ hedge.
And to be honest, the foil on the top of the wine bottle, I just pull it off.
Yeah, we have one of those in the pantry, too. We had another before that we had given away. Because we love wine, these things are gifts from people every year. Or at least they were until people came over and noticed that hubby was still using the basic wine key and their gifts weren't being used!

This past Christmas MIL just gave us money. I am just going to spend that on food to make her a nice meal in a few weeks, since we will be sequestering over the next month or two (or more)--again. We have a bubble, de ja vu.

Hubby went to the dentist this morning and is making wine with his cousins next Sunday so we have to wait to see in-laws until a week after...

Good news is that husband's mouth issues are healing well. He had some degenerative bone loss going on in his upper jaw above his incisor that started healing and regenerating after taking vitamin D and calcium a month ago, which he did not do before I insisted he start taking it. Turns out that Ohio has one of the highest rates of vitamin D deficiency in the US, which leads to bone density loss (yes, men can get osteoporosis as well as women). If you take calcium, great, and if you take D3, great, but the two work in tandem and with one without the other, it's not much help for bones. I've been taking both for several years but knew that he needed more than he was getting from diet (and no sunshine) to help. So doc did some x-rays and was astounded that at his age it was working so well, so quickly!

Sorry for the off-topic...

Last edited:
We got this for Christmas 2018. Never been taken out of the box.
View attachment 78772

View attachment 78773

Oh. An automatic wine cork remover!! Hah!! I don't drink wine. I only use it to cook with, so I don't buy that much. Not enough that I'd need an electric cork remover. It would usually hang around so long until it turns to vinegar!! That would mean that it's now no good. :yuck:

Oh. An aiutomatic wine cork remover!! Hah!! I don't drink wine. I only use it to cook with, so I don't buy that kmuch. Not enough that I'd need an electric cork remover. It would usually hang around so long until it turns to vinegar!! That would mean that it's now no good. :yuck:
It keeps better in the frig if you don't drink it often. And then if it's a nice red, you can pull it out an hour before you want to drink it.

Some ladies do like some good wine, so it's not a bad idea to keep it around (unless you are married and wifey doesn't like it).

Oh my yes, it's so important to take one (but not in carryon luggage, LOL) on holiday, I can't tell you how many times we have arrived at a hotel/resort/air bnb to find that there isn't one in the suite or kitchen. That should be a staple for sure! Or even when we visit a few relatives who don't drink, of course they never have one on hand and we have had to go out and buy an overpriced flimsy wine opener from the grocery store (which usually breaks after a week, LOL).

Yeah, we just call them wine keys over here. I remember my first job waiting tables at an Italian restaurant; the owner tested potential servers by putting two wine openers next to each other on the table and asking which one they would use:
View attachment 78770 View attachment 78771
If someone chose the one on the left, he would scowl and mutter something in Italian, then wave them away...
Ooooh I hate the ones on the left....they're really popular though :thumbsdown:
Some of them don't even have a proper corkscrew bit....and have what looks like an oversized woodscrew instead.

I've heard of wine sets, but not an electric one. What does it do?
Ours is pretty much the same as the one JAS_OH1 posted a picture of, except ours is rechargeable instead of battery operated. It sits on a charging base along with the accessories (drip ring, aerator, rubber vacuum stoppers & vacuum pump).
I put a link to ours - this is it:

69730657992734.jpg

We have one of those too....which was also a gift. It does work really well but it takes up so much room!
Its so awkward to store that we keep it in its box and usually forget to use it.

Oh. An automatic wine cork remover!! Hah!! I don't drink wine. I only use it to cook with, so I don't buy that much. Not enough that I'd need an electric cork remover. It would usually hang around so long until it turns to vinegar!! That would mean that it's now no good. :yuck:
They also make these vacuum sealer things for wine that remove the excess air from the bottle if you (or a guest) have a glass and don't finish the bottle. Someone suggested something like that to me and my husband once and we laughed. An open bottle of wine at our house generally doesn't last a night, much less long enough to turn :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom