What made you smile recently (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
it was 24hr daylight
I’d want to be there when it’s 24-hour darkness! No, really! :laugh:

But it was kitted out in fantastic luxury in true 1960's style.
I’d love that. I’m always complaining when we come to the UK and take a train somewhere - I want it to be the old-style wood-and-leather cabins, and everything is plastic and fabric now, even first class. :(

I'd been there for quite some time by myself when the captain came out to chat to me offering me a hot cup of coffee or tea!
We were on a Christmas markets river cruise (Danube) in 2010, and for the most part, it was always cold, but bright and clear, except for one day. One full day, in Austria, it was extremely cold, windy, overcast, and alternating between rain, sleet, and snow.

As I’ve established, that stuff doesn’t bother me any, so I was up on the top deck, the sun deck, so I could catch glimpses of this and that, and to just enjoy the sharpness of the weather, and I was the only one up there, except for the captain in his little hut, and someone else, and one or two deckhands wandering around.

After a while, I felt a tap on my shoulder, and I turned around to find the captain standing there with a cup of tea for me.

“You must be a sailor or crazy, so either way, you can have this.” - and that was all he said, he walked back to his little spot inside. :laugh:

No, that works here as well. I always get aggravated with docs because they all have notices up that say you’ll be charged for your appointment if you’re a no-show or cancel inside a 24-hour window, yet I’ll have a 10:30AM appointment, and I’ll be lucky to be seen by noon. I always want to hand them a bill for my hourly wage when they’re late like that. :laugh:

I'm back to the vet tomorrow at 07:00 to explain that the placebos that he sold to me worked wonders. Then he doesn't have to sell me any more. At least he'll see me within the hour as the clinic closes at 08:00.

Maybe that needs an explanation. The doctors here in the sticks work in the hospitals. They also run private practices in "Clinics" outside their hospital working hours. The clinic that I have used for a recent check up opens 07:00 to 08:00, 12:00 to 13:00 and 17:00 to 20:00 Monday to Friday; 08:00 to 13:00 and 17:00 to 20:00 on weekends. How else could he afford to run a 5 series imported BMW?

Edit - all BMWs here are imported with import duties at almost 200%.

Last edited:
This one is just a wee bit dark…

133B98B5-76CF-4831-875F-AC3DC5D49794.jpeg

I’d want to be there when it’s 24-hour darkness! No, really! :laugh:
We'd both love that as well. I'd love to see the aurora. We've done the cycling at midnight thing more than once, lol.

Our honeymoon was in Stockholm, Sweden at the end of December and it only got light around 9am, going dark again soon after 2pm. We really enjoyed that, in fact many years later we went back for 2 weeks at that time of year, to stay in a friend's summer cabin several hours drive north of Stockholm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom