What made you smile recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's my wife. But twice as much. I fit all my stuff in a hand carry on bag for 10 days. I've given trying to understand her and clothes.

Russ
*Raises hand sheepishly*

I overpack. But not on a motorcycle! At any rate, I have handbags, shoes, jewelry, and clothes, and they all have to coordinate. And there are hair products and makeup, too. I have gotten better than I was at one time. Oh, and it also depends on climate. For example, when going to Texas in December, I must have jeans, jackets, as well as short sleeves and capri pants, because the weather can vary greatly from day to day and night. It could be very hot one day, then chilly and windy the next. I also (in the past) took some dressy clothes with me for going out. I guess I won't be going anywhere for a few years though.

*Raises hand sheepishly*

I overpack. But not on a motorcycle! At any rate, I have handbags, shoes, jewelry, and clothes, and they all have to coordinate. And there are hair products and makeup, too. I have gotten better than I was at one time. Oh, and it also depends on climate. For example, when going to Texas in December, I must have jeans, jackets, as well as short sleeves and capri pants, because the weather can vary greatly from day to day and night. It could be very hot one day, then chilly and windy the next. I also (in the past) took some dressy clothes with me for going out. I guess I won't be going anywhere for a few years though.

Exactly like my wife!! :)

Russ

We've gotten really good at traveling light. In the past, though, it was me who'd pack more clothes, and my wife who'd pack more "stuff," like hair dryers and other things.

Now, though, we can pack for a two-week vacation in a rolling carry-on each, and we each carry a shoulder tote as well, for meds and stuff like that.

The trick is to pack fewer items that intermatch, so I can wear this shirt and that waistcoat on Monday, and then a different shirt with the same waistcoat Wednesday. Do that right and you can easily get six different looks from three different items.

When I pack, I have a spreadsheet of what I'm wearing each day, and that keeps me from overpacking. There's no more looking at something in the closet and thinking, "Oh, I'd look good in that while going to the museum or something," then never wearing it. Every day has a designated outfit, right down to the socks, and that's what I wear that day. It also makes getting dressed the day of easy, because I just pop out my sheet, look at the day, and say, "Right, Tuesday...dark jeans, green and brown tattersall shirt, yellow sweater-vest, yellow and green socks, brown brogues, all set!"

For any trip longer than a week, we do do our own laundry at some point. That's a big help.

We never go anywhere for less than 10 days. It's usually more like 3 weeks or even longer, and always in the winter. And it's usually multiple destinations on the same trip with different climates. I might need hiking boots and coats for one part of the trip, and bathing suits and sandals for another. But we fly Southwest, which allows for two free checked bags per person so never an issue.

We never go anywhere for less than 10 days. It's usually more like 3 weeks or even longer, and always in the winter. And it's usually multiple destinations on the same trip with different climates. I might need hiking boots and coats for one part of the trip, and bathing suits and sandals for another. But we fly Southwest, which allows for two free checked bags per person so never an issue.
Unfortunately, my employer limits vacation time, two weeks max at one time, so that's the longest we can go for, and even then, I get the serious stink-eye for taking that much time at once. :laugh:

Unfortunately, my employer limits vacation time, two weeks max at one time, so that's the longest we can go for, and even then, I get the serious stink-eye for taking that much time at once. :laugh:
That is truly sad. I usually am just starting to relax and enjoy myself about 4 days in, and even after a few weeks I am not ready to come home. But we leave in winter and I am not fond of snow. If it was up to me, we would leave in November and come back in April.

Okay, so Mr. TR is an obsessive packer and dresser.
What's the old saying, "Plan your work, then work your plan!" :)

That is truly sad. I usually am just starting to relax and enjoy myself about 4 days in, and even after a few weeks I am not ready to come home. But we leave in winter and I am not fond of snow. If it was up to me, we would leave in November and come back in April.
It used to be a lot worse. When I first started here, it was eight days max, not counting weekends, plus, you couldn't take off the first or last week of the month, two people from the same team couldn't be gone at the same time, it made it almost impossible to go on vacation.

It is difficult to get into the swing of things. Nearly all of our vacations are overseas (Europe/UK), so you have to add significant travel time onto each end. It's very true to say that as soon as we land, I'm already thinking, "What an arduous flight getting here...and I've got to do it again in 11 days!"

That's why we're so looking forward to retirement. We can make that long flight, then stay in-country for a couple of months at a whack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom