What made you smile recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obsessive? I'm not obsessive. I'm just organized. And illogical. That's what makes me so much fun.
Well I don't know if it's obsessive but when we go on holibobs I thoroughly research where we are going and make a list and store it on OneDrive.
The list notes whether it is a zoo, museum, walk, boat trip, park or whatever. Opening times, cost, likely visit time and whether it is a wet weather or dry weather venue. I like to note the best eateries, pubs etc.
That way we can cross off the places we've been and sat up in our hotel room at night we can decide what we're going to do the next day taking into account factors such as the weather.

Some years back I took Mrs. Wyshiepoo to France for her birthday. I had organised the first part of the holiday but hadn't organised the second part so Mrs. Wyshiepoo said she'd organise it.

The first part I'd organised a hotel inside the walls of Mont St Michel, I also organised it during one of the biggest tides of the year so we were completely surrounded.
Once we'd done that bit we left Mont St. Michel and it was Mrs. Wyshiepoo's turn. So I turned to her and said, "ok what's the plan?"
"Drive that way" she said.
"Ok, but where are we going? We've got to be going somewhere."
"We're not 'going' anywhere, we're going to see where we end up."
I was a little out of my comfort zone but it worked out ok, we ended up in Quiberon, took a boat trip across to Belle Isle, had great fun hiring a bug car that was like an overgrown go kart and saw the museum devoted to Sarah Bernhardt.

I know you can always go back but I think I have FOMO, I just like to see everything in an area. Nothing would be more annoying than getting back home and someone saying "did you see that fantastic thing where you were, absolutely magical." and you realise that you missed it!

Well I don't know if it's obsessive but when we go on holibobs I thoroughly research where we are going and make a list and store it on OneDrive.
The list notes whether it is a zoo, museum, walk, boat trip, park or whatever. Opening times, cost, likely visit time and whether it is a wet weather or dry weather venue. I like to note the best eateries, pubs etc.
That way we can cross off the places we've been and sat up in our hotel room at night we can decide what we're going to do the next day taking into account factors such as the weather.

Some years back I took Mrs. Wyshiepoo to France for her birthday. I had organised the first part of the holiday but hadn't organised the second part so Mrs. Wyshiepoo said she'd organise it.

The first part I'd organised a hotel inside the walls of Mont St Michel, I also organised it during one of the biggest tides of the year so we were completely surrounded.
Once we'd done that bit we left Mont St. Michel and it was Mrs. Wyshiepoo's turn. So I turned to her and said, "ok what's the plan?"
"Drive that way" she said.
"Ok, but where are we going? We've got to be going somewhere."
"We're not 'going' anywhere, we're going to see where we end up."
I was a little out of my comfort zone but it worked out ok, we ended up in Quiberon, took a boat trip across to Belle Isle, had great fun hiring a bug car that was like an overgrown go kart and saw the museum devoted to Sarah Bernhardt.

I know you can always go back but I think I have FOMO, I just like to see everything in an area. Nothing would be more annoying than getting back home and someone saying "did you see that fantastic thing where you were, absolutely magical." and you realise that you missed it!
I definitely don't have FOMO. I like things planned, but I also dislike too many things planned, and I know it sounds corny, but the older I get, the more I learn to appreciate the little unexpected things, like a quirky publican or a nice little bookstore, as opposed to the big "must-see" things.

We did a driving trip through Cornwall back in the '90's, stopped at all the important bits, but the things I remember most are things like stopping to buy a garden gnome, and the man at one bed & breakfast utterly obsessed with whether my wife and I were actually married and not just shacking up. There's an episode of Fawlty Towers like that, and my wife started calling him Basil behind his back, because he kept trying to catch us out.

As far as planning goes - our first overnight trip ever was before we were married; 11-hour drive for her to meet my family for the first time. I had complete, minute-by-minute schedules printed up for each day, laminated and bound in a big notebook, like:

0630 - wake up
0630-0715 - shower and dress
0715-0735 - drive to Plez's Diner
0735-0820 - have breakfast

I don't do that much detail any more, and our itinerary is just a spreadsheet with whatever the activity is for that day. The way that works is, MrsTasty will say, "Ok, for our 10 days in Cheltenham, I want to go on two ghost walks that I found, I want to go to Sudeley Castle, I want Sunday lunch both Sundays, I want a day of shopping, and I want to go to Hook Norton, and I want to take a day and drive over to Upper Heyford, and I want to see the Roman museum in Cirencester, and I want to go to Evesham, Bourton-On-The-Water, the Slaughters, Stow-On-The-Wold, Chipping Campden, Chipping Norton, and I want to eat at this pub I found, and afternoon tea, and this breakfast place I found and this restaurant..."

Then I counter with, "Ok...Heyford will take a day, so let's put that on...Wednesday, and that'll be a long day, so we're not doing anything except staying around the hotel on Thursday, so that'd be a good day for afternoon tea, and this pub you like has Sunday lunch, which is near the Slaughters, so let's pencil that in on Sunday...," and I always try to build in days of long drives/long days followed by days of very little activity, but she definitely is the go-go-go type. We usually have one good knock-down drag-out fight every holiday over "We're Wasting Time!/You're Exhausting Me!"

Turpentine vs Holy Water... Little Jeremiah Le Pelley was sitting on the Town Church steps with a bottle of Turpentine. He was shaking it up and watching all the bubbles. The Rector came along and asked Jeremiah what he had. Jeremiah said, 'Caw chapin! This is the most powerful bloney liquid in the world; it's called Turpentine eh? La. The Rector said, 'No, the most powerful liquid in the world is Holy Water. If you rub it on a pregnant woman's belly, she'll pass a healthy baby.' Jeremiah replied, “Dammie me! If yer rub turpentine on a cat's arse, he'll pass a Harley Davidson”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom