What made you smile recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The squirrels in our backyard are so well-fed that they get easily bored. Yesterday I saw a squirrel sleeping on my deck railing. I watched him for a few minutes before he got up and hung down off the rail to take a drink from the bird bath (AKA wildlife watering trough). Then, he jumped down to the ground and attacked a stick, rolling around the ground playing with it for a few minutes before coming to the sliding glass door and looking in at me, begging for a peanut. I obliged and he ran up the tree.

Today the same squirrel and the rabbit who lives in our shade garden were out back playing together. The rabbit would hop up high, and the squirrel would do the same, then they did this little dance of hopping around, taking turns chasing each other. After a few minutes the squirrel got bored and went back to the deck rail for a nap.

I had never seen this kind of animal behavior before in my life. It was damn cute.

Yeah most people dislike them. Rats with fluffy tails. Ours are kinda sweet. A couple of them have names. I think at least one knows their name and comes when we call her.

They usually don't live more than a couple of years. We have a red-tailed hawk that hunts in our backyard.

We don't have squirrels in Guernsey.
About 20-25 years ago my mum and dad took my daughter to the UK in their motorhome.
They spent their first night in Wellington Country Park, near Reading.
When they woke in the morning and were having breakfast my daughter looked out the window and saw a squirrel.

"Oh look Granny, rabbits that climb trees."

The squirrels in our backyard are so well-fed that they get easily bored. Yesterday I saw a squirrel sleeping on my deck railing. I watched him for a few minutes before he got up and hung down off the rail to take a drink from the bird bath (AKA wildlife watering trough). Then, he jumped down to the ground and attacked a stick, rolling around the ground playing with it for a few minutes before coming to the sliding glass door and looking in at me, begging for a peanut. I obliged and he ran up the tree.

Today the same squirrel and the rabbit who lives in our shade garden were out back playing together. The rabbit would hop up high, and the squirrel would do the same, then they did this little dance of hopping around, taking turns chasing each other. After a few minutes the squirrel got bored and went back to the deck rail for a nap.

I had never seen this kind of animal behavior before in my life. It was damn cute.
Now that our Kate is older than dirt, she doesn't patrol the property like she used to, and the squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, possums, ground hogs, and feral cats are having a blast.

I watched a mama rabbit munching some grass near my herb garden while her bunnies played tag a while back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom