What made you smile recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some things, you just don't forget. :wink:

Unfortunately, I no longer work in recruitment, I now work in the finance industry. I work in IT, so I've worked in a wide variety of settings in the past (insurance, telecommunications, military, etc).

Well I work in recruitment for an IT company :happy:

Listening to a local radio show interview with a person who works for a local wildlife charity. Her job title was ‘Hedgehog Officer’. Made me smile, so cool. Imagine chatting to someone at a party when the inevitable “What do you do?” comes up. The usual “accountant/lawyer/fund manager/ I work in insurance” comes the reply and you instinctively start sending out the “please come and rescue me” signals, but “Hedgehog Officer” and you think - this is someone I can talk to all night.

The Marine patrol and Wildlife officers have merged under the FWC. I still call Marine Patrol Officers "Grouper Troopers and Wildlife Officers "The Possum Police".

Your shower doesn't have a door?

That is becoming more and more common in nicer new homes. If/when I redo my shower (it's 20-years-old and showing its age), I would like to do a doorless shower, with the entrance on the opposite end of the shower from the spray head. That, and frameless glass. Frames are cleaning problems.

CD

That is becoming more and more common in nicer new homes. If/when I redo my shower (it's 20-years-old and showing its age), I would like to do a doorless shower, with the entrance on the opposite end of the shower from the spray head. That, and frameless glass. Frames are cleaning problems.

CD
Stayed in a hotel room with such a unit on Sunday night. It was beautiful, probably 2m in length, half of which was behind in framed glass, and the shower head was a huge ceiling mounted affair with electronic push button control. A fair bit of water splashed out onto the bathroom floor though.

Your shower doesn't have a door?

Bathroom layouts. The reason that they are different layouts is because the external walls are different.

Last edited:
No, it's around the corner. However, unlike many Thai "bathrooms" the shower is at the opposite end of the room from the door therefore if you enter for a reason other than for a shower, you don't get your feet wet. Also that means that I can have wooden bathroom doors whereas most Thai bathroom doors are plastic.

There's a story behind the bathroom doors. The building foreman ordered the door frames for the house - 2.00 x 0.80m for the rest of the house but 1.80 x 0.70m for the bathrooms. I told him that the bathroom door frames were no good as I am 1.92m tall. He took them back and replaced them with 2.00 x 0.70m frames. When it came to buying the doors, 2.00 x 0.70m was not a standard size and I had to have them made special.

There's a story behind the bathroom doors. The building foreman ordered the door frames for the house - 2.00 x 0.80m for the rest of the house but 1.80 x 0.70m for the bathrooms. I told him that the bathroom door frames were no good as I am 1.92m tall. He took them back and replaced them with 2.00 x 0.70m frames. When it came to buying the doors, 2.00 x 0.70m was not a standard size and I had to have them made special.

Standard door height is 7-feet (2.13M) in the US. It is building code in my city for doorways intended for entering and exiting a room (you can use a smaller door for something like accessing a water heater -- you don't need to walk through that door). My front door is 8-feet tall (3.05m). The ceilings in my house are a minimum of 10-feet (2.44) tall, so tall doors are not a problem.

CD

Standard door height is 7-feet (2.13M) in the US. It is building code in my city for doorways intended for entering and exiting a room (you can use a smaller door for something like accessing a water heater -- you don't need to walk through that door). My front door is 8-feet tall (3.05m). The ceilings in my house are a minimum of 10-feet (2.44) tall, so tall doors are not a problem.

I specified my ceiling height to be 3.20m (lounge and bedrooms) and 3.30m high (kitchen and bathrooms (because the floor level is 100mm lower)). The reason being is that we have ceiling fans which could cause serious damage if installed too close to my head.

I specified my ceiling height to be 3.20m (lounge and bedrooms) and 3.30m high (kitchen and bathrooms (because the floor level is 100mm lower)). The reason being is that we have ceiling fans which could cause serious damage if installed too close to my head.

Homes in hot climates need high ceilings. In cold climates, they are not so desirable. In Texas, over the years, ceilings have gotten higher -- consumer demand. My living room ceiling is 24-feet high (7.32m), and it is great in the summer since hot air rises, and cool air sinks, but that same law of physics bites me in the butt on the few times each year that it gets REALLY cold here. All the heat goes up to the ceiling.

CD

Since we are on the amazing topic of bathrooms. In Hong Kong and in some places in Iran the shower was just a hand held showerhead positioned somewhere above the toilet seat. You could not take a shower without showering the toiled seat as well and you'd get the room floor wet too if you didn't close the bathroom door.

Since we are on the amazing topic of bathrooms. In Hong Kong and in some places in Iran the shower was just a hand held showerhead positioned somewhere above the toilet seat. You could not take a shower without showering the toiled seat as well and you'd get the room floor wet too if you didn't close the bathroom door.

Many rural dwellings in Thailand are the same. However, there is no toilet seat to get wet. Generally Thais will just squat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom