What New To You Ingredients Did You Recently Obtain?

We just recently purchased some Kashmiri Chilis which we have never used. Please, no grocery lists.

Used the dried Kashmiri chiles to make powder for a recipe I'm making today. Pretty potent. I tried some with my finger dusted on tip of tongue. My tongue let me know it was not happy for several minutes.

Time for a Muffaletta! One of the Italian contributions to Nola cuisine! Make up some homemade giardiniera and a fresh round Italian loaf and you're all set. Or you could always hit Central Grocery in Nola and pic one up.
That's what I'm doing today. I made the bread this morning, more on that in the Bread Thread.

This nice forum member...what's her name?... medtran49, that's it, she gave me the bread recipe. Maybe you've heard of her? 😬

Funny thing is I find Kashmiri chilli to be milder than the standard chilli powder I use. I think Yorky found the same... maybe we are hardened chilli heads!

Yes I did find it milder and to such an extent that I am now only using it for colour.

Ordered some asafoetida from Amazon since several people on here use it and I've seen it called for in several recipes I've been thinking about making. I ordered it from Amazon because I got free shipping, but it's from a place called The Spice Lab that has their warehouse/corporate office about 30 minutes 1 way from us and a retail store about the same in a slightly different direction, as well as at least 1 other store a bit further away. They mailed it yesterday directly at a USPS distribution center that is close to them. Today, it is at another distribution center that is almost 2 hours away. It will be interesting to see where it travels before it gets here. And the moral of the story is no wonder the USPS is having money problems.

Oh, the reason we didn't go to the store was that the last time we went didn't get out of there without spending over $100. While I did get a couple of things, 1 being a bag of Bomba rice, majority of damage was done by the thread starter. Can't get him to shop for clothes, he'll wear his old ones to rags first, but turn him loose in a spice, specialty food store or farmer's market and watch out. LOL!

Last edited:
Persimmons, I have found, taste better cooked, than raw and fresh.

I tried some raw and fresh and it seemed to have a somewhat less sweet flavor than what I might have expected.

full.jpg

I cooked some as part of a persimmon bread pudding and the persimmon was much more flavorful.

full-jpg.jpg

Ordered some asafoetida from Amazon since several people on here use it and I've seen it called for in several recipes I've been thinking about making. I ordered it from Amazon because I got free shipping, but it's from a place called The Spice Lab that has their warehouse/corporate office about 30 minutes 1 way from us and a retail store about the same in a slightly different direction, as well as at least 1 other store a bit further away. They mailed it yesterday directly at a USPS distribution center that is close to them. Today, it is at another distribution center that is almost 2 hours away. It will be interesting to see where it travels before it gets here. And the moral of the story is no wonder the USPS is having money problems.

Oh, the reason we didn't go to the store was that the last time we went didn't get out of there without spending over $100. While I did get a couple of things, 1 being a bag of Bomba rice, majority of damage was done by the thread starter. Can't get him to shop for clothes, he'll wear his old ones to rags first, but turn him loose in a spice, specialty food store or farmer's market and watch out. LOL!

The package is back at the distribution center it started at this morning.

I wish I could put the rolls eye emoticon in, but all the options are grayed out again and have been for last few days.

Heading to the Asian Super Store today..going to pick up some wholesale dried good for the shop...pics to follow

Back
Top Bottom