What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
11:07 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
So a new year, and a fresh start for the what did you obtain or buy today thread.

I raided the veg plot and came out with another half kilo of raspberries, 300g of strawberries and 2 servings of brocollini.
These were the previous raspberries I raided the veg plot for.

Shopping won't happen until Tuesday.

My wife went shopping yesterday - not a good idea. There were queues to access the car parks at both Big 'C' and Makro but Lotus's was quieter. She bought these which I've not had before. Light and crumbly with not a hint of sugar.

Cream crackers s.jpg

I had 3 packs last evening (6 biscuits) with Virginia ham and Cheddar cheese (and a beer of course).

Very good.

Off work today, so I did a little shopping:

DA2CB708-C605-4B6A-8DD1-89D659535A5B.jpeg

Those chips/crisps are for an upcoming ham challenge entry.

D5B20A2E-8C6D-4532-A992-2699668AA73E.jpeg

A couple of reasons I like going to the international market: I can buy single leeks, and I can buy apple variety that the other stores don’t carry.

Those above are Sugar Bee apples - all the main grocery stores carry are Fuji, Honeycrisp, Gala, Gold and Red Delicious, and Granny Smith, with a rotating “feature,” like Cosmic Crisp, Envy, or Opal.

9C1820DC-5C3A-46C9-8041-D641D8B61229.jpeg

Those beans are for a ham entry, if I can find ham hocks. Three stores today and no one had them. The closest I could get was pork jowl.

73BB1570-F354-4EBC-AE2D-7C675068F9A9.jpeg

More to follow…

I made up an online-curbside-pickup-order for my Mother (no photos `cuz all I did was open my hatch-back and someone else took care of it):
Bacon Bites
Green Onions
English Muffins
Rye Bread
5 frozen Entrees
Frozen Waffles
bagged Shredded Cheese
Boar's Head sliced deli Ham
sliced American Cheese
small bag of Coleslaw mix (she prefers this over a green salad mix)
2 Russet Potatoes
Sonic Electric Toothbrush replacement heads
Laundry Detergent
Calcium Chews

This should hold her for a bit. I also had a coupla frozen meals that I had made for her.

*It's taken me almost a year to convince Mom that all she needs to do is give me a list of whatever it is that she needs and I can order it online, using her credit card, pick it up, bring it over AND put it all away for her. Even her personal things, doesn't matter what, I can order it on line MOM! "Oh no, I have to go shopping and I hate to do that, but I need xyz". I can get that too, note the last three items on her order--- She's comin' around.

IMG_2128.JPG

From Costco ... love this stuff and only have one more 2-portion freezer pack left.
I gave a serving to my Mother ...
IMG_2138.JPG

... when I asked her what she thought of her dinner, I got,
"yes, buy that again!"
Mom has a hard time remembering things now-a-days, but when it comes to food, she's on it! :laugh:

Sort of a sad day for me, I found out that one of my favorite, regular-rotation grocery stores (Marc’s) is closing the only location they have in my area.

Marc’s is based out of Cleveland, and I love them because they carry all these Cleveland-made products that I can’t generally get in Cincinnati. Cincy’s full of Germans; Cleveland’s Polish, Hungarian, Czech…lots of Central Europeans, so their locally-made sausages and lunchmeats are different to ours, and I liked having the extra options. Same thing with a lot of their pantry items - they have an outstanding pickled you-name-it section. They were also the only store that carried MrsT’s favorite breakfast cereal, Quisp.

Except for the olives and that tea, everything below came from Marc’s. I’d have gotten more, but they were almost out and my freezer is full.

C4E81F22-EF6C-4965-95AB-21D8518B8EA8.jpeg

BB1D8DCA-E930-42E1-BD4D-EFA22461C904.jpeg

F2B2BAC8-5D34-48B4-9170-16D5EAC609CC.jpeg

90976541-97DB-44F5-BA8C-A4CD7C2ECC5A.jpeg

9DB39DC5-A85D-448E-9E24-EC9404852ABE.jpeg

The olives and the tea came from this little hole-in-the-wall grocery called “Euro Sunrise,” which turned out to be a shop owned by a Turkish family, selling things that seemed to be sort of Mediterranean-focused - I had to ask what a lot of the stuff was because there was no English on much of it.

Sort of a sad day for me, I found out that one of my favorite, regular-rotation grocery stores (Marc’s) is closing the only location they have in my area.

Marc’s is based out of Cleveland, and I love them because they carry all these Cleveland-made products that I can’t generally get in Cincinnati. Cincy’s full of Germans; Cleveland’s Polish, Hungarian, Czech…lots of Central Europeans, so their locally-made sausages and lunchmeats are different to ours, and I liked having the extra options. Same thing with a lot of their pantry items - they have an outstanding pickled you-name-it section. They were also the only store that carried MrsT’s favorite breakfast cereal, Quisp.

Except for the olives and that tea, everything below came from Marc’s. I’d have gotten more, but they were almost out and my freezer is full.

View attachment 94763
View attachment 94764
View attachment 94765
View attachment 94766
View attachment 94767

The olives and the tea came from this little hole-in-the-wall grocery called “Euro Sunrise,” which turned out to be a shop owned by a Turkish family, selling things that seemed to be sort of Mediterranean-focused - I had to ask what a lot of the stuff was because there was no English on much of it.
Sorry to hear it! Losing a store I love always makes me sad too :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom