What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
8FD7CBEC-44E9-45F5-B648-E16C933873A8.jpeg
AE5FE8BD-57A7-4720-87F1-E37F5300B8C1.jpeg
6B756C19-97D2-4C3D-B4DF-59FAEBB3F146.jpeg

I take it you don't recycle the veg & fruit bags or use your item?

We recycle the very few we get, using them as bin liners in the bathroom bin. But usually we use our own weigh bags that are washable, breathable and made from recycled milk containers.
One of the great things about them is that you don't need to remove the produce from the bag to put your shopping into the fridge, plus you can throw it into the washing machine to wash as needed.

Reusable Mesh Produce Bags For Sale Online | Onya

We recycle the very few we get, using them as bin liners in the bathroom bin. But usually we use our own weigh bags that are washable, breathable and made from recycled milk containers.
One of the great things about them is that you don't need to remove the produce from the bag to put your shopping into the fridge, plus you can throw it into the washing machine to wash as needed.

Reusable Mesh Produce Bags For Sale Online | Onya

I have a couple of insulated bags from IKEA. They are getting old, but IKEA doesn't seem to offer them anymore.

I usually don't use the little plastic bags for my produce. I just put the items into my IKEA bags with everything else.

CD

Yes, I recycle them. There’s a recycle bin for them at the entrance to the grocer’s.

I also have a set of mesh produce bags (2 small, 2 medium, 2 large), but I usually forget them. Even if I’d thought about it today, I wouldn’t have brought them, because the only fruit and vegetables I had on my list was lettuce! Everything else was a spur-of-the-moment purchase. :laugh:

Yes, I recycle them. There’s a recycle bin for them at the entrance to the grocer’s.
I think I should have said re-use them rather than recycle them. I just noticed that you tore them open rather than undoing the knot.

Our mesh bags live with the cooler bag and the other doing bags, so they are always available to us.

I have a couple of insulated bags from IKEA. They are getting old, but IKEA doesn't seem to offer them anymore.

I usually don't use the little plastic bags for my produce. I just put the items into my IKEA bags with everything else.

CD
If things are 1 item only (head of cauliflower or broccoli, or a single aubergine, then I don't bag normally, but 200g of snow peas or 4 apples, or 7 nectarine are another matter. They need to be kept together else they can't be weighed at the end.

Our mesh bags live with the cooler bag and the other doing bags, so they are always available to us.
Believe me, I can have them sitting on the seat next to me in the car, and I’ll forget to bring them in - I’ve done that more than once…a lot more than once!

I’ll reuse plastic shopping bags, but rarely the produce ones. They’re extremely thin/flimsy and don’t stand up to much use.

Believe me, I can have them sitting on the seat next to me in the car, and I’ll forget to bring them in - I’ve done that more than once…a lot more than once!
…and now that I think about it, that’s where they are now, but in the trunk/boot, not on the front seat.

If things are 1 item only (head of cauliflower or broccoli, or a single aubergine, then I don't bag normally, but 200g of snow peas or 4 apples, or 7 nectarine are another matter. They need to be kept together else they can't be weighed at the end.

That's why I wrote "usually." I put grapes in a bag. Not apples. Any small stuff that will make a mess in my IKEA bag goes in a plastic bag.

CD

…and now that I think about it, that’s where they are now, but in the trunk/boot, not on the front seat.

I am so used to using my IKEA bags, that I automatically go to the hatchback of my car and grab them when I get to the store. My big thing is to make sure I return them to the back of the car after I empty them at home. If I don't do it right away, it could be weeks before they get back in the car.

CD

A major surprise today. Coriander leaf, which is normally sold retail in the supermarkets at upwards of ฿20.00 (around £0.50) for three or four sprigs, was much cheaper in the evening market today. All this was ฿5.00! My wife actually asked the old lady if she was making a mistake, but no.

Market 19 Jan s.jpg

The problem is that I only need two or three sprigs for tomorrow and it only keeps a maximum of 4 or 5 days in the fridge.

Behind every silver lining is a dark cloud!

We shall give most of it away.

I think I should have said re-use them rather than recycle them. I just noticed that you tore them open rather than undoing the knot.

My mesh bags are always in my handbag, so that they're always handy when I go shopping.

My mesh bags are always in my handbag, so that they're always handy when I go shopping.
The cooler bag always goes shopping with us because of the distance we live from the supermarket (all veg, chilled and frozen stuff goes into them (we have 3)), plus I don't have a handbag, just a rucksack and I don't usually do the shopping. Mind you with the amount of loose stuff we buy, I don't think you'd want the number of mesh bags we have in your handbag. Lol. I try not to buy anything in film plastic/prepackaged or those plastic string bags that never decompose.

And Australia currently can't recycle thin single use plastic. One of the major recyclers for it got caught dumping it all in a very large derelict warehouse and was fined big time. It seems like they previously used to transport it all to China but China won't take it any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom