What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I "liked" most of your post. Not feelig ya' on the top photo. Other than the pecans.

CD
Let's see...in addition to prunes being a "regular" snack :)laugh:), we both actually like them a lot just for their taste. Great appetizer when stuffed with a blanched almond, wrapped in bacon, and baked.

I love gummies, and these were 79¢ with a digital coupon, couldn't pass that up.

Pace was buy-one-get-one, and it works with a lot of weeknight things, the BBQ sauce is for pulled pork that I'm making for my folks, so I'm looking for low effort there, as my usual homemade sauce would make zero difference with them (my dad no longer has much of a sense of taste anymore, especially), and...get ready for a Texas Connection...the pimentos are for...a clone recipe...of...
Luby's vinegar slaw.

I "liked" most of your post. Not feelig ya' on the top photo. Other than the pecans.

CD

Lets see now...

In that top post I can do the gummy bears - we have them here too and I'm partial to the odd gum. Prunes are lovely. I like them in tagines. Pecans not my favourite nut but OK. Salsa and pimentos, I'd no doubt like enough. BBQ sauce I might not like (too sweet, too artificial smoky?).

Christmas supplies sorted.

My list of things I want to get up coming ...

Beverage:

Beer, Dark Maerzen
Beer, Hefeweisse
Lemon Juice Concentrate
Juices (Apple,Cranberry,Cranberry Pomegranite,Pineapple,Peach,Grape,Orange,Grapfruit)
Soda, Coca Cola

Dairy:

Cheese, Cheddar
Cheese, Feta, Tomato Basil
Cheese, Fiesta Blend, Shredded
Cheese, Swiss
Cheese, Provolone, Sliced
Half n Half
Ice Cream, (Toffee)

Fruit:

Apple Sauce
Bananas
Cherries
Figs
Persimmons
* Something New * (Dragon Fruit, Durian, Feijoa, Star Fruit, Sapodilla)

Grain:

Cereal, Life
Granola Bars, Cashew
Rolls, Sour Dough
Tortillas

Meat:

Beef, Prime Rib
Beef, Corn, Sliced
Canadian Bacon
Chicken Half Breasts
Clams (canned)
Fish, Halibut
Ham, Honey or Peppered
Lamb, Stewing
Pastrami
Prosciutto
Salami, Genoa
Salmon
Turkey Breast

Processed Foods:

Chicken Patties, Breaded
Pizza Rolls, Pepperoni or Combination
Tamales, Chicken

Sauces and Oils:

Habanero Salsa

Snacks:

Pistachios, Shells Removed
Potato Chips, Jalapeno & Lime

Vegetables:

Bok Choy (small)
Cabbage
Horse Radish, Whole
Mushrooms, Crimini, Brown
Sprouts (Alfalfa or Broccoli)
Sweet Potatoes
Tomatoes
Yams

Specialty Items:

Mirugai (Giant Pacific Geoduck Clam)
Tobiko (Flying Fish) Roe
Uni (if I can find it)

Exotic or Online Food Items:

Frog Legs
Lobster, Spiny (Carribean or Australian)
Mushrooms, Enoki
Oysters, Miyagi, Westcott, Wellfleet or Bluepoint
Pheasant
Tuna, Bluefin, Belly Meat

Some members are probably wondering what I mean by 'various juices' and here are some examples.

full.jpg

Cranberry and Cranberry Pomegranate Juices

full.jpg

Pressed Apple Cider

full.jpg

White Grape Peach Juice

full.jpg

Pineapple Juice

full.jpg

Grapefruit Juice

full.jpg

Orange Juice

I use two juices, both for drinking and for flavoring food.

full.jpg

Lemon Juice

full.jpg

Lime Juice

Not that I would ever buy bottled lemon or lime juice, but it really ticks me off when manufacturers use misleading labeling. The vast majority of consumers would see that bottle and think "oh, it's Key Lime juice and I can make a Key Lime pie with it." Well, it's not. It's a blend of different lime juices and lime oils. If you note, it says Key West Lime Juice, not Key Lime Juice. The company does bottle a product that is just Key Lime Juice, but it's more expensive and not many places carry it. There was a big thing about this a few years back down here. Key limes are no longer grown commercially in The Keys, haven't been for a long time. Unless you know somebody with a tree or find a local source, they are imported.

BTW, you can't make a Key Lime pie unless you use Key Lime juice regardless of the recipe you use. Anything but and it's just a lime pie. I'll look for some every once in a while and make a pie or a cheesecake/cheesepie for Craig since he really likes them.

Last edited:
Lets see now...

In that top post I can do the gummy bears - we have them here too and I'm partial to the odd gum. Prunes are lovely. I like them in tagines. Pecans not my favourite nut but OK. Salsa and pimentos, I'd no doubt like enough. BBQ sauce I might not like (too sweet, too artificial smoky?).

I love salsa. I don't like Pace salsa. Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce is very sweet.

CD

Not that I would ever buy bottled lemon or lime juice, but it really ticks me off when manufacturers use misleading labeling. The vast majority of consumers would see that bottle and think "oh, it's Key Lime juice and I can make a Key Lime pie with it." Well, it's not. It's a blend of different lime juices and lime oils. If you note, it says Key West Lime Juice, not Key Lime Juice. The company does bottle a product that is just Key Lime Juice, but it's more expensive and not many places carry it. There was a big thing about this a few years back down here. Key limes are no longer grown commercially in The Keys, haven't been for a long time. Unless you know somebody with a tree or find a local source, they are imported.

BTW, you can't make a Key Lime pie unless you use Key Lime juice regardless of the recipe you use. Anything but and it's just a lime pie. I'll look for some every once in a while and make a pie or a cheesecake/cheesepie for Craig since he really likes them.
medtran49

Thanks for this note.

I have had Key lime pie before and love it. I lived in Key West for a few years when I was stationed at Boca Chica Naval Air Station. I loved it down there. Every day was an adventure in water or key hopping. I could spin off story after story about my adventures in the Florida keys and southern Florida, as I could well do the same about my adventures in Washington State and the Western US in general. Back in those days, I was a free time wanderer and out back hiker/climber. Later, I would enhance my wandering by learning to fly, which started with my first single engine airplane flight from Boca Chica. I learned to water ski down there, by swallowing a lot of salt water, being dragged head first through the embayment by Sigsbee Island.

The product I displayed is the only lime juice product available to me in local stores and it suffices for my cooking and drink needs.

I make drinks with bottled lemon and lime juice by using a 64 Fl Oz. container, adding a couple cap fulls of either juice and filling the container with water. It's a cheap and tasty alternative to plain water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom