What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went around the corner and down the road to the organic farmer and got these:

That's garlic scapes to the right. Never used them before, so I've got to do a little research.

I would have said nothing if I hadn't been charged.
Just had a phone call from them, they would like me to keep the chocolate as it was their error. :woot:

The guy did suggest I could have them myself, or donate them to a food bank.... so now I have a little bit of guilt. I will donate a bit extra cash to the local food bank next time though.

I am running low on some things that I need sort of ASAP, so a road trip to the grocer is called for. I will go to the grocer on the way back from getting my first COVID-19 vaccine shot tomorrow.

Here's my current list, from which my budget will only allow a limited number of items, most critical items marked with an asterisk.

Beverage:

Beer, Dark Maerzen
Beer, Hefeweisse
Sake, Daiginjo-shu
Sake, Jumai-shu
Soda, Coca Cola
Tea, Japanese Green Matcha
Tea, Japanese Sencha

Dairy:

Cheese, Fiesta Blend, Shredded *
Cheese, Provolone, Sliced
Cheese, Swiss *
Coffee Creamer
Eggs *
Half n Half *
Ice Cream, (Toffee, Coffee)

Fruit:

Apple Sauce
Cherries
Figs
* Something New * (Dragon Fruit, Durian, Feijoa, Star Fruit, Sapodilla)

Grain:

Cereal, Life
Granola Bars, Cashew

Meat:

Beef, Prime Rib
Canadian Bacon *
Clams (canned)
Fish, Halibut
Lamb, Stewing
Pastrami
Prosciutto
Salami, Genoa
Sprouts (Alfalfa or Broccoli)

Processed Foods:

Chicken Patties, Breaded
Onion Rings, Breaded *
Pizza Rolls, Pepperoni or Combination
Tamales, Chicken

Sauces and Oils:

Habanero Salsa

Snacks:

Pistachios, Shells Removed
Potato Chips, Jalapeno & Lime

Vegetables:

Cucumber *
Horse Radish, Whole
Mushrooms, Crimini, Brown
Peppers, Anaheim *
Potatoes, French Fries, Frozen *
Tomatoes, Roma

Specialty Items:

Bok Choy (small)
Mirugai (Giant Pacific Geoduck Clam)
Tobiko (Flying Fish) Roe
Uni (if I can find it)

Exotic or Online Food Items:

Finger Limes
Frog Legs
Lobster, Spiny (Carribean or Australian)
Mushrooms, Enoki
Oysters, Miyagi, Westcott, Wellfleet or Bluepoint
Pheasant
Tuna, Bluefin, Belly Meat

I don't completely agree with all of your Texican choices, but not bad for a Yankee. :wink: At least you didn't buy Corona beer. :sick:

CD
I'm limited to what my local Kroger carries (I was surprised to find cojita) this time around, and that beer I'm interested in, just because it's from Great Lakes, and they make really good stuff. I'm not big on lime beer, but I'm looking forward to trying it.

I also should point out, this is for my brother, who's idea of a good Mexican meal is Taco Bell. Seriously, he once made me a plate of "nachos" - which were Fritos with two slices of plastic Kraft Singles melted on top.

The menu is a simple one: black bean dip, pico de gallo, street corn salad, chicken fajitas, and watermelon.

I'm limited to what my local Kroger carries (I was surprised to find cojita) this time around, and that beer I'm interested in, just because it's from Great Lakes, and they make really good stuff. I'm not big on lime beer, but I'm looking forward to trying it.

I also should point out, this is for my brother, who's idea of a good Mexican meal is Taco Bell. Seriously, he once made me a plate of "nachos" - which were Fritos with two slices of plastic Kraft Singles melted on top.

The menu is a simple one: black bean dip, pico de gallo, street corn salad, chicken fajitas, and watermelon.

Cotija (not cojita). That has a pretty strong flavor -- very salty. Not a favorite of mine.

CD

* Something New * (Dragon Fruit, Durian, Feijoa, Star Fruit, Sapodilla)
Horse Radish, Whole
You are aware of the downside to durian? You probably aren't going to find it outside of a large Asian market.

I love ripe starfruit, but they can be hard to find if you don't know somebody that has a tree. They should be a gold color with just a hint of brown along the edges. Anything more than the barest hint of green here and there, don't bother.

Dragon fruit are pretty good . Not fond of the others.

Don't buy withered looking horseradish, not worth it. The best time to buy it is around Jewish holidays that are big on meals. It's usually nice and fresh then.

Last edited:
Cotija (not cojita). That has a pretty strong flavor -- very salty. Not a favorite of mine.

CD
I like cotija and queso fresco.

You wouldn't like mizithra or ricotta salata if you don't like cotija. They are both stronger.

Last edited:
I love ripe starfruit........

When I was living and working in the hotel in Kuala Lumpur, I was provided with a fresh bowl of fruit every day. After a few days it became obvious to my maid that I liked the starfruit because she added more each day. In the end I had to ask her to cut down on them and bring plums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom