What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever we travel, I always go to a local grocery store at least once; sometimes the area's main one, and many times smaller family ones, just to buy stuff I can't get at home - especially nice since we're driving with a cold bag, so I can bring back perishable stuff.

Today's treats:

The tea, I can get that decaf chai sometimes, but it's hit-or-miss, same with that brand of butter cheese.

...found some on-line (Hela brand) but all the varieties seem to contain MSG (the taste of which I detest). I will have to make some from scratch...
As currywurst is a traditional berlin dish and I'm born in Berlin, I would like to help you out with the right recipe.
Curry Sauce with coca cola - the coca cola is very important for me and many chefs, who are selling currywurst pretend like it's the secret ingredient for a good currywurst sauce, a recipe without coca cola might work as well.

My wife absolutely loves kohlrabi, just peeled, sliced, and with a lot of salt.

Think of a cross between a turnip and a radish, sort of like that.

Kohlrabi - Wikipedia
Fantastic. I squeezed some lime juice over it, plus salted. Very crunchy. Pleasant mild taste.

MypinchofItaly it reminds me a bit of the cabbage heart...but Tr had a very good description.
Here it is mostly used in soups, like celery root or parsley root. I kind of like it both ways, raw in particular these days...I guess I am craving vit c🤓

Never heard of this, I am curious 🙂 What is it?
Really? I wonder if you can get it in Italy, possibly yes. Tr included a wiki link...the green leaves and stems are spinachy, soft, delicious, dark in the flavour of the soups, love them. The 'head' when cooked gets softer, kind of like the celery 'head', it gets milky coloured, a bit translucent...high in vit C, low in carbs...I wonder if one could do a puree, possibly yes, but I never tried it yet...
Raw sliced it has the crunch of the spring red skinned little radishes, without any of the pepperiness...yeah,the heart of cabbage is closest to taste...my Mom used to give me the raw heart of cabbage pieces when she would cook...real healthy fresh veg snack...😊
Maybe you can find it in the Uk?

Really? I wonder if you can get it in Italy, possibly yes. Tr included a wiki link...the green leaves and stems are spinachy, soft, delicious, dark in the flavour of the soups, love them. The 'head' when cooked gets softer, kind of like the celery 'head', it gets milky coloured, a bit translucent...high in vit C, low in carbs...I wonder if one could do a puree, possibly yes, but I never tried it yet...
Raw sliced it has the crunch of the spring red skinned little radishes, without any of the pepperiness...yeah,the heart of cabbage is closest to taste...my Mom used to give me the raw heart of cabbage pieces when she would cook...real healthy fresh veg snack...😊
Maybe you can find it in the Uk?

Yep really, never heard of it and pretty sure never saw it in our supermarkets, or maybe I just didn't see it. I suppose now it's what we may call here as 'Sedano Rapa'.
Your description made me drooling!! :laugh: I'll look for it better next time

Last edited:
Corn flour. Olive oil. Peasant sausage(locally named as such).
Kohlrabi. Was surprised to read kohlrabi had that much vitamin C. Almost double as mandarines, if that is correctly interpreted.

I ate a third of kohlrabi raw with other stuff for supper, used the green leaves and stems for a simple lovely soup.
View attachment 73103

That looks like Swede that we have here. Is it also called Swede or turnip?

Russ

As currywurst is a traditional berlin dish and I'm born in Berlin, I would like to help you out with the right recipe.
Curry Sauce with coca cola - the coca cola is very important for me and many chefs, who are selling currywurst pretend like it's the secret ingredient for a good currywurst sauce, a recipe without coca cola might work as well.

Thanks for the link. I’ve saved for later, and the site as well. :)

Russ

Whenever we travel, I always go to a local grocery store at least once; sometimes the area's main one, and many times smaller family ones, just to buy stuff I can't get at home - especially nice since we're driving with a cold bag, so I can bring back perishable stuff.

Today's treats:
The tea, I can get that decaf chai sometimes, but it's hit-or-miss, same with that brand of butter cheese.

I wonder if you are close enough to the Jersey border or Philly to get Tastykakes -- in particular, Butterscotch Krimpets.

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 11.47.21 PM.jpg

CD

I wonder if you are close enough to the Jersey border or Philly to get Tastykakes -- in particular, Butterscotch Krimpets.

View attachment 73255

CD
Yep, I can get them:

PM me your mailing address and I'll gladly send you a couple of boxes, courtesy of Tasty Claus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom