What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game bird (quail) feed.
Grower chicken feed.

Fresh thyme, lemon thyme, parsley, scallions (green onions), a red onion, the smallest available cauliflower head, the smallest available green cabbage head, 2 packs of mushrooms, a pack of grape tomatoes, 2 avocadoes. Some fresh figs. One Delicata squash.

A bottle of high temperature sunflower oil.

A package of two turkey thighs. A package of free-ranged chicken, one bird, broken into parts. A good portion of salmon, and a smaller portion of Arctic char. Wanted shrimp, but the price for the non-farmed stuff was ridiculous.

Pre-made food: a small portion of a tuna avocado sushi roll (just ate that for lunch). A portion of the one store's spanakopita, which shall be heated in the oven and eaten shortly.

Alcohol: Red wine to bring to tomorrow's potluck. Cheap dry white wine and also dry vermouth for cooking purposes. One bottle of vodka that I will admit is for home consumption.

(Also bought: Autumnal and Halloween decorations, including a new doormat with pumpkins as the decor, and three small decorative gourds.)

The problem is that once they become ripe enough to eat there's only another five days before they're going bad.

It is said that it's best to keep them at room temperature. What is room temperature? Ours rarely drops below 30°C.
5 days isn't looking enough to stop my hubby eating all of them. He'd happily eat (and I have known him to) 3 or 4 a day. He loves bananas. Shame bananas don't like me.

I made a jar of preserved lemons (this is part way through the making process).

I hope they taste better when they are done because all I could taste was salt in the juices left over.

I thought that I had a smaller jar but it seems that they were all in use so this one, having recently been emptied of pear chips (dehydrated pear slices from our 1st successful crop last autumn) is now full of preserved lemons. I did up another batch of 10 lemons which filled the jar filled left me needing another, so I found some tiny jars barely big enough for 1½ lemons and filled the one above and those 3 tiny ones to overflowing. No lemons are above the liquid in the final version, but i do hope the taste changes. I followed the recipe though is question the size of a lemon, so calling mine smaller than shop bought, i did extra but the juices are desperately salty despite adding sugar (the recipe i used was 10 lemons, ½ cup kosher salt, ¼ cup sugar. I used 18 lemons but quite a few were smaller ones). It was the one that medtran49 (?) gave me a link to. I guess I'll find out at Christmas!

Yorky When you make preserved limes, don't you leave them out in the sun? This says to refrigerate immediately which I don't really want to do. The fridge isn't particularly large and I'm trying to clear it out, not full it up...

PS the sample specimen jars are actually related to the yoghurt and probiotics cultures I buy to make home-made yoghurt and nothing else. (You get 2 free with each purchase to put 9/10th into 1 jar and 1/10th into another. You only open the jar with the 1/10th in thus only exposing that small amount to potential contamination and moisture in the air)

I made a jar of preserved lemons (this is part way through the making process).
View attachment 72329

I hope they taste better when they are done because all I could taste was salt in the juices left over.

I thought that I had a smaller jar but it seems that they were all in use so this one, having recently been emptied of pear chips (dehydrated pear slices from our 1st successful crop last autumn) is now full of preserved lemons. I did up another batch of 10 lemons which filled the jar filled left me needing another, so I found some tiny jars barely big enough for 1½ lemons and filled the one above and those 3 tiny ones to overflowing. No lemons are above the liquid in the final version, but i do hope the taste changes. I followed the recipe though is question the size of a lemon, so calling mine smaller than shop bought, i did extra but the juices are desperately salty despite adding sugar (the recipe i used was 10 lemons, ½ cup kosher salt, ¼ cup sugar. I used 18 lemons but quite a few were smaller ones). It was the one that medtran49 (?) gave me a link to. I guess I'll find out at Christmas!

Yorky When you make preserved limes, don't you leave them out in the sun? This says to refrigerate immediately which I don't really want to do. The fridge isn't particularly large and I'm trying to clear it out, not full it up...

PS the sample specimen jars are actually related to the yoghurt and probiotics cultures I buy to make home-made yoghurt and nothing else. (You get 2 free with each purchase to put 9/10th into 1 jar and 1/10th into another. You only open the jar with the 1/10th in thus only exposing that small amount to potential contamination and moisture in the air)
The liquid is salty but it's the peel you use mostly, though some recipes also use the flesh.

I didn't make preserved limes as such but lime pickle (as served with poppadoms in British Indian Restaurants) and yes, left them in the sun for two weeks moving them around the garden as the World turned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom