What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I pruned a bush on Sunday and made it a tree ... and now have almost 4 liters of Lemon juice ... They took 3 hrs of mechanical juicing (food processor attachment) yesterday and was filtered and bottIed this morning.

any ideas on same lemon based (vegan or with eggs) ideas please.

The tree has about the same volume again on it and is just starting to flower again.

I stopped by World Market today, and picked these up. I tasted the Heinz Salad Cream first. I need to try it again cold, because at room temperature, it was not nice. The HP Sauce tastes like a very sweet A1 sauce in the US. I put a little on a bit of leftover steak. I see it as more appropriate for a burger. I'll try the Bisto gravy when I can.

IMG_1570 2.JPG

CD

I stopped by World Market today, and picked these up. I tasted the Heinz Salad Cream first. I need to try it again cold, because at room temperature, it was not nice. The HP Sauce tastes like a very sweet A1 sauce in the US. I put a little on a bit of leftover steak. I see it as more appropriate for a burger. I'll try the Bisto gravy when I can.

View attachment 72050

CD

Heinz Salad Cream is definitely better chilled IMHO. I use it in places you might often find mayo, though it's more acidic. So it goes on green salad leaves, cold chicken, bits of ham. I love the stuff.

HP is another British mainstay and is eaten frequently with pork sausages, bacon... I was never a mega fan of it tbh. Commonly found on tables in greasy spoon caffs.

So, I pruned a bush on Sunday and made it a tree ... and now have almost 4 liters of Lemon juice ... They took 3 hrs of mechanical juicing (food processor attachment) yesterday and was filtered and bottIed this morning.

View attachment 72047

any ideas on same lemon based (vegan or with eggs) ideas please.

The tree has about the same volume again on it and is just starting to flower again.
Don't know if you drink alcohol or not, but I'd be using the zest to make limoncello.

Lemon curd obviously. Lemon chicken using whatever you would substitute for chicken. Preserved lemons. I like this recipe Preserved Lemons Recipe. There are also some suggestions for using them that look like they may be vegan or can easily be made vegan in the article. I like the lemons preserved with some sugar much better than just the ones preserved with salt personally. Need to make up a batch again.

I know I can see it in the photo, but what is one of those please?
What caseydog said, it's just a hand-sized fruit (or custard/pudding) pie, fried instead of baked (my grandmom used to pan-fry them), and coated with a sugar glaze.

When I was a kid, everyone had these packed in their lunches, except me, because mine were homemade:

They come in a variety of fruit fillings from the store, like apple and cherry and blueberry, plus things like chocolate pudding filled, things like that.

They seem to be an Amish specialty, and my personal favorite is raisin, which is like a mince pie at Christmas. I love those. Amish dry goods shops have racks and racks of these things. You could probably put a McD's hot apple pie in the same family, I suppose.

View attachment 72050

CD
The least said about salad cream the better. I used to like it on sandwiches when at primary school but haven't eaten it in about 35years!
HP sauce on the other hand is my prefered sauce when mayo isn't available to dip chips (uk term) in.

I like salad cream quite a bit. Whatever recipe I have that calls for mayonnaise, I'll sub in salad cream for about a third of it. Yum!

Don't know if you drink alcohol or not, but I'd be using the zest to make limoncello.

Lemon curd obviously. Lemon chicken using whatever you would substitute for chicken. Preserved lemons. I like this recipe Preserved Lemons Recipe. There are also some suggestions for using them that look like they may be vegan or can easily be made vegan in the article. I like the lemons preserved with some sugar much better than just the ones preserved with salt personally. Need to make up a batch again.
I don't drink (with the very occasional exception of dark ale.
lemon curd dairy free has just never really worked sadly and currently we're not eating bread or toast due to the diet (which given its working we're not inclined to change.

I've never known what to use preserved lemons with/in hence having never made any but I'll look into it - with the lemon tree we do use lemon's a Iot more than we used to.

View attachment 72050

CD

I just remembered: now that you have genuine Heinz Salad Cream you can try out my recipe for the Ham Horn.

Lemon sherbet or something like a lemon jello/jam maybe?
Problem is that most things with lemon seem to need dairy for some reason...

We have considered lemon jam but are moment we're not eating bread (diet) so jam is not featuring much in our meals what with the only other use being on porridge in this house and we're currently doing granola because it hits the spot. I might go over to yoghurt soaked porridge oats whilst in hospital though... maybe.

Haven't purchased any yet, maybe later, we'll see, but Burgundy black truffles are available now from the place we buy our luxury food items for the low :rolleyes: price of $155 for 4 ounces, plus shipping for those that can't pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom