What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went out this afternoon to the local Mom and Pop: 20 odd minutes away.

Bought:
Caraway seeds for a planned recipe (I hated these things as a child, but I can deal with a few at a time, now).
A hangar steak.
Two large chicken legs - thigh and drumstick together. They do carry this regularly.
A good-sized batch of Brussels sprouts. I am very surprised this place had them! This is the sort of small place where if you find something, you probably won't find it ever again - I'm speaking especially about produce.

Not food: Paper towels. At another establishment - a tarp and a set of bungee cords, so I can protect my chickens in the Tractor Supply Coop with Monday's upcoming snowstorm. Specifically, the door entryways, so I can get in and feed/water to the feathered folk therein.

Well despite being in isolation and not being allowed passed the bottom of the track, and despite not being able to get home delivery from supermarkets or couriers (only the postie and TNT will come up the dirt road) I obtained quite a bit today.

Several good handfuls of chard

7 apples (all homegrown)
7 Carrots (homegrown)
4 Nectarines
2 Plums (homegrown)
3 Lebanese cucumbers (homegrown)
2 onions (homegrown)
A bag of green beans (likely homegrown)
2 boxes of crackers
5, 6 or 7 grapefruit or oranges (definitely homegrown)
1 lemon (the other 3 are ours from the fruit bowl)

2 avocado
1 aubergine
1 courgette (homegrown)
4 tomatoes (homegrown)
3 ears of sweetcorn (likely homegrown)
1 sweet potato (likely homegrown)
1 cauliflower (likely homegrown)

Some basil and parsley and more chard
5 massive spring onions (definitely homegrown)
5 bananas
5 satumas (homegrown)

A bag of lettuce
Some matches (we requested them, we're out and can't light the camping stove or bbq without)

All (almost) together

A big bag was from the local community and I was also made aware of that the local community shop do veg boxes which usually go out on a Wednesday morning (only delivered within the small town we're close to, but also delivered by community passing by for anyone in isolation). So after a phone call, I placed an order and Judy very kindly put a box together inside 10 minutes and got it to the gentleman who delivered it to us! Deeply humbled by the help from the community today, all put in action by a journalist from the shire newspaper.
Until we're confirmed as covid positive we can't get state help with things like support and food deliveries, medication etc. But we have to obviously stay in isolation until we know either way and there are massive delays on PCR results right now (I'm been informed that it's now 8 days up from 5). Usually we do our shopping on a Thursday and eating a lot of fresh produce generally have nothing left by Wednesday evening, but I got ill on Tuesday night, and we were tested Wednesday 8am, so no shopping. When the journalist rang today (regarding our citizenship ceremony a week on Wednesday) I jokingly told her not to hold her breath about us being able to attend. She's the one that put all of this in place to help us putting us in direct contact with the local administrator of the local town community FB pages.

This is what the community put together for us and delivered it all. 😍

Edited to add we had some 6-8 new potatoes as well. I might do an Indian potato pie of I've enough physio pastry in the freezer. I know I'm low because I made baklava over Christmas.

Last edited:
Rummaniyeh - had to look it up! Looks yummy.
I followed a traditional recipe for mine when I write it up last month
Recipe - Rummaniyeh (Palestinian Lentil & Aubergine Stew with Pomegranate Molasses)

I happen to like pomegranate seeds so used a whole pomegranate. One thing I will say is that it is much better with a more expensive pomegranate molasses, that is one without added sugar. I've made it with both now, having finally tracked down some with no added sugar. Much better.

Ok, and here's how my shopping day went:

First, this is the first weekend day I've gone shopping at the big Kroger in ages, and it was <bleeping> packed. I hate that, and it has nothing to do with Covid or masks, it's just that whatever aisle I need to go up, there'll be six people already in there, just close enough together to choke the access off, or some nimrod will park themselves exactly where I want to be, and then just...stand there. Both of those happened multiple times. 😠

They were truly out of only two things I wanted (parsley and crystallized ginger), but I did have to make several substitutions, so that perturbed me as well.

Then, the woman in front of me in the checkout line was being a right bit... um, handful to the young cashier, which did nothing but push my mood down lower, though it did afford me the opportunity to be extra pleasant to the cashier and the bagger, so there's that.

When the total came up, it was something like $154, and I thought, "Yes! I have a coupon for $15 off $150 purchase!" - but then it started reading my digital coupons and applying those, and the total ended up being $143, so I missed using that coupon, because I almost never buy that many groceries in one go. Had they had the parsley and the candied ginger...I'd have just made the cut. 🤨

Packed all those up and drove across the street for possibly the least lethal fast food item, a plain bean burrito from Taco Bell. Got out, locked the car, walked over...sign on the door said they were back to drive-through only.

Looked at the drive-through, no one in line, so I got back in the car, backed it out, pointed it toward the drive-through lane, and...a huge-ass four-door 4WD extended bed behemoth of a truck came crashing in through the side entrance and barreled its way in front of me...and proceeded to place an order that took several minutes to get across to the attendant.

And all I wanted was a single plain burrito... 😒

Karma is indeed like that woman who was in front of me at Kroger, though, because when they handed her her trash bag sized food order, her truck was so out of proportion to her surroundings, that she had to s t r e t c h to reach it, and just as she got a hand on it...she dropped the lot, all over the pavement.

I laughed, then I felt bad for laughing, because maybe her day was worse than mine.

Ok, and here's how my shopping day went:

First, this is the first weekend day I've gone shopping at the big Kroger in ages, and it was <bleeping> packed. I hate that, and it has nothing to do with Covid or masks, it's just that whatever aisle I need to go up, there'll be six people already in there, just close enough together to choke the access off, or some nimrod will park themselves exactly where I want to be, and then just...stand there. Both of those happened multiple times. 😠

They were truly out of only two things I wanted (parsley and crystallized ginger), but I did have to make several substitutions, so that perturbed me as well.

Then, the woman in front of me in the checkout line was being a right bit... um, handful to the young cashier, which did nothing but push my mood down lower, though it did afford me the opportunity to be extra pleasant to the cashier and the bagger, so there's that.

When the total came up, it was something like $154, and I thought, "Yes! I have a coupon for $15 off $150 purchase!" - but then it started reading my digital coupons and applying those, and the total ended up being $143, so I missed using that coupon, because I almost never buy that many groceries in one go. Had they had the parsley and the candied ginger...I'd have just made the cut. 🤨

Packed all those up and drove across the street for possibly the least lethal fast food item, a plain bean burrito from Taco Bell. Got out, locked the car, walked over...sign on the door said they were back to drive-through only.

Looked at the drive-through, no one in line, so I got back in the car, backed it out, pointed it toward the drive-through lane, and...a huge-ass four-door 4WD extended bed behemoth of a truck came crashing in through the side entrance and barreled its way in front of me...and proceeded to place an order that took several minutes to get across to the attendant.

And all I wanted was a single plain burrito... 😒

Karma is indeed like that woman who was in front of me at Kroger, though, because when they handed her her trash bag sized food order, her truck was so out of proportion to her surroundings, that she had to s t r e t c h to reach it, and just as she got a hand on it...she dropped the lot, all over the pavement.

I laughed, then I felt bad for laughing, because maybe her day was worse than mine.
Been there, done that, many times!
This is why I DO NOT do any shopping on a weekend, period!
I shouldn't have given a LOL, but that last bit about the behemoth truck droppin' her load :happy: pretty funny!

Hey, I own some stock in Vital Farms (your butter)! I bought a little of it last year because I like the concept and the price was reasonable per share so I took out a small position for my portfolio. It's not doing much yet but I believe it's a trending idea. This is the first time I have ever seen any of the products, none of the stores where I shop carry it. I am guessing you got it at Kroger?

Hey, I own some stock in Vital Farms (your butter)! I bought a little of it last year because I like the concept and the price was reasonable per share so I took out a small position for my portfolio. It's not doing much yet but I believe it's a trending idea. This is the first time I have ever seen any of the products, none of the stores where I shop carry it. I am guessing you got it at Kroger?
Yeah, Kroger. They've been selling it for quite a while. I buy it because of all the butter at Kroger, it's the highest in fat. :laugh:

Yeah, Kroger. They've been selling it for quite a while. I buy it because of all the butter at Kroger, it's the highest in fat. :laugh:
Yeah, I had a duh moment even asking after you explained your grocery shopping expedition. DUH.

They also sell pasture-raised eggs. It's an ethical company that focuses on treating food animals humanely. I like that. I think that the younger generations do too and that's who is going to be buying a lot of groceries throughout the rest of my life; I'll be eating less and they'll be eating more and raising families.

Good on Kroger to sell products from companies like that.

They also sell pasture-raised eggs.
I also buy their eggs, or Pete & Gerry's because those are the only two cruelty-free egg producers Kroger carries.

I know...I know...I'll eat burger from McD's, but a company that cuts the beaks off of their moneymakers...that's just too far, man, too far!

Well despite being in isolation and not being allowed passed the bottom of the track, and despite not being able to get home delivery from supermarkets or couriers (only the postie and TNT will come up the dirt road) I obtained quite a bit today.

View attachment 79254
Several good handfuls of chard

View attachment 79258
7 apples (all homegrown)
7 Carrots (homegrown)
4 Nectarines
2 Plums (homegrown)
3 Lebanese cucumbers (homegrown)
2 onions (homegrown)
A bag of green beans (likely homegrown)
2 boxes of crackers
5, 6 or 7 grapefruit or oranges (definitely homegrown)
1 lemon (the other 3 are ours from the fruit bowl)

View attachment 79256
2 avocado
1 aubergine
1 courgette (homegrown)
4 tomatoes (homegrown)
3 ears of sweetcorn (likely homegrown)
1 sweet potato (likely homegrown)
1 cauliflower (likely homegrown)

View attachment 79255
Some basil and parsley and more chard
5 massive spring onions (definitely homegrown)
5 bananas
5 satumas (homegrown)

View attachment 79259
A bag of lettuce
Some matches (we requested them, we're out and can't light the camping stove or bbq without)

All (almost) togetherView attachment 79257

A big bag was from the local community and I was also made aware of that the local community shop do veg boxes which usually go out on a Wednesday morning (only delivered within the small town we're close to, but also delivered by community passing by for anyone in isolation). So after a phone call, I placed an order and Judy very kindly put a box together inside 10 minutes and got it to the gentleman who delivered it to us! Deeply humbled by the help from the community today, all put in action by a journalist from the shire newspaper.
Until we're confirmed as covid positive we can't get state help with things like support and food deliveries, medication etc. But we have to obviously stay in isolation until we know either way and there are massive delays on PCR results right now (I'm been informed that it's now 8 days up from 5). Usually we do our shopping on a Thursday and eating a lot of fresh produce generally have nothing left by Wednesday evening, but I got ill on Tuesday night, and we were tested Wednesday 8am, so no shopping. When the journalist rang today (regarding our citizenship ceremony a week on Wednesday) I jokingly told her not to hold her breath about us being able to attend. She's the one that put all of this in place to help us putting us in direct contact with the local administrator of the local town community FB pages.

This is what the community put together for us and delivered it all. 😍

Edited to add we had some 6-8 new potatoes as well. I might do an Indian potato pie of I've enough physio pastry in the freezer. I know I'm low because I made baklava over Christmas.
Country NSW for the win.

I’m so glad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom