What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your celery reminded me of the standard monster we get to buy here...

I put the 750ml bottle in for reference along with the Berry granola that UK members will be familiar with. All 3 were purchases from the weekend.

Surprised to see you buying 'diet' drinks - they usually use added aspartame and I think that one does. Not that it worries me but I assumed you wouldn't consume it.

I love those monster green celery plants. They last very well too, I find, especially if placed in a jug of water. The leaves make a delicious salad on their own or mixed with other leaves.

Surprised to see you buying 'diet' drinks - they usually use added aspartame and I think that one does. Not that it worries me but I assumed you wouldn't consume it.

I love those monster green celery plants. They last very well too, I find, especially if placed in a jug of water. The leaves make a delicious salad on their own or mixed with other leaves.
No aspartame, just monk fruit & stevia extracts. It is sold as no artificial colours, flavours, or sweeteners. Monk fruit as a sweeter is a big thing in Australia.

Ingredients a pretty simple in this drink. (It's the only one I drink) .

Water 25%
Lemon juice from concentrate
Food acids (citric acid, sodium citrate, malic acid)
Natural flavour
Natural sweeteners (monk fruit & stevia)
Preservative (202 = Potassium sorbate, & 223 = sodium metabisulphite)

The celery is in water (just very clear water! ). It's a fraction above the colour change on the granola packet, honest!

No aspartame, just monk fruit & stevia extracts. It is sold as no artificial colours, flavours, or sweeteners. Monk fruit as a sweeter is a big thing in Australia.
Reason I mentioned it was 'cos I was being curious (nosey) and looked it up. bickfords-diet-lemon-cordial. The bottle seems to be the same and contents are listed as:

Water, 25% Lemon Juice (From Concentrate), Food Acids (Citric, Sodium Citrate), Natural Flavour, Intense Sweetener (951), Pectin Gum, Preservative (223).

I thought 951 was aspartame but maybe not.

Intense Sweetener (951),
That's not on the bottle.
I'll get a photo when I get home

This is all that is on my label

Water 25%
Lemon juice from concentrate
Food acids (citric acid, sodium citrate, malic acid)
Natural flavour
Natural sweeteners (monk fruit & stevia)
Preservative (202
= Potassium sorbate, & 223 = sodium metabisulphite)

The label says no artificial sweeteners...

So it's anyone's guess.

Last edited:
Just a guess but I'd say 12 months. I sort of "semi defrost it" and scrape the defrosted portion from the top - then back in the freezer. The cost of that amount was c. 40 cents so it's not a great loss if it deteriorates. What is a great loss is the amount of work that went into peeling it!

[Edit: Sorry, the cost was c. 80 cents I'm now informed]

Yorky i never thought of doing this, never. I'm going to be doing this as well now, do you do the same with galangal? I buy a big bag of frozen chunks. I also buy lemon grass finely sliced and frozen.
I guess where you are you have access to cheap food products ? I pay $5 for my galangal and lemon grass, about 1/2 kg bags.
Thanks btw

Russ

Yorky i never thought of doing this, never. I'm going to be doing this as well now, do you do the same with galangal? I buy a big bag of frozen chunks. I also buy lemon grass finely sliced and frozen.

We don't use much galangal and we also grow it so there's not much point in freezing it. I do the same with garlic although I only freeze part of the amount and the rest stays whole.

What do you do with all those Yorky ?

Garnish for burgers, hot tomato sauces, curries, Thai soups, many potato dishes, chilli con carne, salsa, samosas, sambal, and my wife uses them for som tam and laarb. There's a lot there so I may freeze some whilst they're fresh.

[That amount was just over 50 US cents.]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom