What take-out food have you scored well on?

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:56 PM
Menu - O'Charley's Restaurant & Bar
During the height of the pandemic when many restaurants in the US were only offering carryout or delivery, some restaurants were selling gift certificates online for a discount just so they could stay afloat. There is a restaurant chain here called "O'Charley's" that is similar to TGIF (Thank God it's Friday, popular US restaurant chain) or Cheddar's. The food is pretty good at the one in my area. I got an email offer for a gift certificate valued at $50 that I only had to pay $35 for, so I bought one. Last week I used it. This restaurant offers family-size meals for $29.99 that include a main item plus 2 side dishes and rolls with butter and sauces. O'Charley's - Online Ordering (this link is for online ordering, not sure if it will work for everyone).

I bought a chicken tenders family-size meal and chose double portions of steamed broccoli, along with some ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing, tangy Buffalo sauce, and of course the rolls and butter. There was probably 3 pounds of lightly breaded, well-marinated and properly seasoned chicken (quite tender and juicy) and over a pound of broccoli, which was perfectly cooked. What a score! And of course I still have 20.01 left on my certificate to use at a later date.
Rolls and sauces not pictured:

The first night we ate some tenders warmed in my air fryer-toaster oven. I coated them with Buffalo sauce and we dipped them in the ranch and blue cheese dressings. I made a cheese sauce for the broccoli. The second night I had a bottle of General Tso's sauce (popular Chinese-American takeout sauce for chicken) on hand and I made some fried rice. We heated up the tenders and coated them in General Tso's and had the fried rice with some of the broccoli, it was as good as Chinese takeout that we normally get (minus the rangoons and egg rolls). The third night we toasted brioche buns and heated up some tenders and made sandwiches and I used the rest of the broccoli to make a broccoli cheese soup. The sandwiches tasted nearly as good as Chick-fil-A! I still had a few tenders leftover for us to munch on for lunch on the fourth day so we did a repeat of night #1.

What kind of take-out deals have you scored lately?

I haven't scored any take-out deals, but I'll tell you about my one and only O'Charley's experience:

We met my niece and her boyfriend (now husband) there for a meal several years ago. The waitress took our drinks order, came back with it, and...spilled my beer all over me. My whole torso and lap were thoroughly soaked (it was a big beer).

She apologized abundantly and immediately agreed that my meal would be comped, which we hadn't even ordered yet, which was appreciated.

Pretty sweet, huh?

That's until they brought separate checks and she'd gotten the orders confused and comped a meal on their check instead of ours. Being the nice fellow that I am, I didn't push it, but it was pretty 🤬 annoying! :laugh:

I haven't scored any take-out deals, but I'll tell you about my one and only O'Charley's experience:

We met my niece and her boyfriend (now husband) there for a meal several years ago. The waitress took our drinks order, came back with it, and...spilled my beer all over me. My whole torso and lap were thoroughly soaked (it was a big beer).

She apologized abundantly and immediately agreed that my meal would be comped, which we hadn't even ordered yet, which was appreciated.

Pretty sweet, huh?

That's until they brought separate checks and she'd gotten the orders confused and comped a meal on their check instead of ours. Being the nice fellow that I am, I didn't push it, but it was pretty 🤬 annoying! :laugh:
Yeah, I have dined in a few times years ago back when I was doing those restaurant evaluations and they paid me for going. I also found the experience to not be on point...although I didn't get beer spilled on me, thankfully. But I have had nothing but positive take-out experiences there.

Menu - O'Charley's Restaurant & Bar
During the height of the pandemic when many restaurants in the US were only offering carryout or delivery, some restaurants were selling gift certificates online for a discount just so they could stay afloat. There is a restaurant chain here called "O'Charley's" that is similar to TGIF (Thank God it's Friday, popular US restaurant chain) or Cheddar's. The food is pretty good at the one in my area. I got an email offer for a gift certificate valued at $50 that I only had to pay $35 for, so I bought one. Last week I used it. This restaurant offers family-size meals for $29.99 that include a main item plus 2 side dishes and rolls with butter and sauces. O'Charley's - Online Ordering (this link is for online ordering, not sure if it will work for everyone).

I bought a chicken tenders family-size meal and chose double portions of steamed broccoli, along with some ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing, tangy Buffalo sauce, and of course the rolls and butter. There was probably 3 pounds of lightly breaded, well-marinated and properly seasoned chicken (quite tender and juicy) and over a pound of broccoli, which was perfectly cooked. What a score! And of course I still have 20.01 left on my certificate to use at a later date.
Rolls and sauces not pictured:
View attachment 75263

The first night we ate some tenders warmed in my air fryer-toaster oven. I coated them with Buffalo sauce and we dipped them in the ranch and blue cheese dressings. I made a cheese sauce for the broccoli. The second night I had a bottle of General Tso's sauce (popular Chinese-American takeout sauce for chicken) on hand and I made some fried rice. We heated up the tenders and coated them in General Tso's and had the fried rice with some of the broccoli, it was as good as Chinese takeout that we normally get (minus the rangoons and egg rolls). The third night we toasted brioche buns and heated up some tenders and made sandwiches and I used the rest of the broccoli to make a broccoli cheese soup. The sandwiches tasted nearly as good as Chick-fil-A! I still had a few tenders leftover for us to munch on for lunch on the fourth day so we did a repeat of night #1.

What kind of take-out deals have you scored lately?
Never been - looking at your carryout pics, definitely something we would like. I would slide in some Bob Evan's mashed taters or taters from O'Charleys and the hubby would be a happy camper with enough left over for a lunch or two !

Never been - looking at your carryout pics, definitely something we would like. I would slide in some Bob Evan's mashed taters or taters from O'Charleys and the hubby would be a happy camper with enough left over for a lunch or two !
Those were just the sides I chose, double broccoli. They had potatoes, mac n cheese, etc. Wide variety to choose from.

Wow, 30.00 in Ontario would get you 2 orders of chicken wings/fingers and around 2lbs total and no sides.
Right, the family size meals are different, what a bargain for sure! Individual orders would have been I think $9 each, with no sides.

I just checked the exchange rate for today, $1 Canadian = .79 US.

Wow, 30.00 in Ontario would get you 2 orders of chicken wings/fingers and around 2lbs total and no sides.
Do you remember when wings were like .27 cents a pound? Now they are more expensive than skinless boneless chicken breasts or chicken thighs and legs! Way overrated, dontcha think?

Do you remember when wings were like .27 cents a pound? Now they are more expensive than skinless boneless chicken breasts or chicken thighs and legs! Way overrated, dontcha think?
I remember the 10 cent wing night but because of that wing pandemic that spread across the planet in the 80's wings are now more expensive than breast and why the price. Drum sticks are becoming the new wing, more meat and tastier imo.

Back
Top Bottom