What take-out food have you scored well on?

I remember the 10 cent wing night but because of that wing pandemic that spread across the planet in the 80's wings are now more expensive than breast and why the price. Drum sticks are becoming the new wing, more meat and tastier imo.
I remember .10 cents oysters night when I lived in Florida. Those days are long gone!

Not in the UK. Cheap here:

View attachment 75351

£1.50 is approx $2.00
Here in the US a lb is about $2 for breasts, .99 cents lb for legs and thighs. Wings are as much as $2.50 lb at the grocery stores. It's got to be because of thiis wing craze someone started, they have restaurants with chicken wing themes (though they offer burgers and sandwiches too) like Buffalo Wild Wings. Most casual restaurants, especially sports bars, offer wings. It's like 6 wings for $9. Dinky little, messy, sauced boney wings. Insane. I'll take the legs, please.

Haven't seen any take out deals to score around here. Then again in my wilderness we aren't apt to get mailers like that here.
It came in my email inbox. But doesn't do much good if the restaurant isn't in close proximity, now does it? But you have lots of positives by living in a rural area that I envy. I was just lying in bed this morning listening to the traffic noise and the noise of my neighbor's leaf blower about 30 yards outside of my bedroom window. So even though this restaurant is only about 15 miles from here, I would much rather not hear all the noise pollution from living in my small city.

I would take it that scoring well would be to get something I really like at a reasonable price.

I really like pizza. Is the price reasonable these days? At $30 for a medium 2 item pizza that used to be around $15 USD, the answer is no. And I think this same kill switch is on a lot of restaurant take-out food that I really like. But in truth, with the pandemic, I have not been going to restaurants and have been cooking all my own food. It's cheaper and more varied and of course, I cook what I like.

Here in California, they passed a pile of minimum wage laws that make it impossible to score well on restaurant take outs. Pandemic or not, I don't look for it.

I would take it that scoring well would be to get something I really like at a reasonable price. I really like pizza. Is the price reasonable these days? At $30 for a medium 2 item pizza that used to be around $15 USD, the answer is no. And I think this same kill switch is on a lot of restaurant take-out food that I really like. But in truth, with the pandemic, I have not been going to restaurants and have been cooking all my own food. It's cheaper and more varied and of course, I cook what I like. Here in California, they passed a pile of minimum wage laws that make it impossible to score well on restaurant take outs. Pandemic or not, I don't look for it.
I like pizza too. I was really pleased to find the certificates for 50% off for a local pizza place I really like through Groupon. They might still have some relatively good deals in your area, too. I have also found that by joining loyalty programs for various restaurants I get the emails on good deals, otherwise I would never have known about the discount on the O-Charley's gift certificate.

One of my credit cards offers rewards points that can be used to purchase (trade points on) discounted gift cards, so that's another way to score. I can buy TGIF gift cards for a 10% discount.

I too like to cook my own food, but I factored in the cost of the oil, buttermilk, seasonings, chicken, broccoli, breading, etc. and my time (and the mess of frying chicken), and it was way less expensive to buy that gift card and use it than it would have been to buy all that stuff at the grocery store and make it myself. I was working in the area that day (about a block away from the restaurant) or I probably would have waited several more months before using it. We have only ordered takeout a few times in the past year. I didn't look for the good deals, I just opened up the emails and there they were!

Last edited:
Here in the US a lb is about $2 for breasts, .99 cents lb for legs and thighs. Wings are as much as $2.50 lb at the grocery stores. It's got to be because of thiis wing craze someone started, they have restaurants with chicken wing themes (though they offer burgers and sandwiches too) like Buffalo Wild Wings. Most casual restaurants, especially sports bars, offer wings. It's like 6 wings for $9. Dinky little, messy, sauced boney wings. Insane. I'll take the legs, please.

I detest drums, goes back to my childhood, older bro and mum got white meat, grandparents got thighs and I got the drum.
I hate drums.

Russ

I detest drums, goes back to my childhood, older bro and mum got white meat, grandparents got thighs and I got the drum.
I hate drums.

Russ
I actually prefer thighs, but if I were making Buffalo "wings" I would not mind using drumsticks over the actual wings, especially due to the cost savings.

At least you didn't get stuck with the backs like I did when I was a kid.

My husband's grandmother and his aunts liked the feet and the neck. I never could understand that, especially the feet. They would chew on those cartilagenous feet...chicken feet on chickens that walk around in their own poop. Disgusting.

Back
Top Bottom