Recipe What to serve with cornbread?

Everything Med said, plus real BBQ (brisket, pork butt/shoulder, chicken, etc. cooked low and slow in thin blue smoke).

Although we've gotten away from breakfast, which I also agree with Med. Make corncakes (aka Arepas).

Or even better, Mozzarepas, which is mozzarella melted between two Arepas.

That sounds good. I'll bear it in mind for Christmas.

1/2 Unsweetened cornbread crumbled, 1/2 rustic bread torn into small pieces mixed with small dice onions and celery that have been sauteed in butter, moistened to make a thick mush with a mixture of beaten egg and chicken/turkey broth, seasoned with salt and pepper and poultry seasoning, then either stuffed into bird or baked in a pan on the side. Served with gravy. I like to cut up the giblets and put in my gravy, along with some sliced hard-boiled eggs, but Craig doesn't like giblets.

Try some hushpuppies with fried fish instead of chips. This is a great recipe for them. Buttermilk hushpuppies

I forgot about BBQ @buckytom . Cornbread, greens, coleslaw, mac and cheese are standard sides at BBQ joints. Also forgot about arepas, which is odd because I was just thinking about making some soon a few days ago.

Like @Karen W wrote, corn dogs are great, especially homemade ones, with lots of mustard on them.

Last edited:
There are recipes using corn meal for fried chicken, fish batters. I personally don't like the taste or texture, especially because a lot of places fry it too long and the crust is extremely hard, but then there are others who prefer that over a flour only fried crust.

@medtran49 suggested I look up the supposed origins of the name Anadama. Here we go. Its great for breakfast it seems:

So what does “Anadama” mean? Local legend overwhelmingly credits a Gloucester fisherman with coining the term as a not-so-loving tribute to his wife, Anna. It seems Anna wasn’t blessed with talent in the kitchen, and after numerous bowls of molasses and cornmeal porridge for supper, the fisherman angrily tossed in some flour and yeast one evening and threw the mixture into the oven. While it baked he sat muttering, “Anna, Damn her!”, and the name was born.

Nice story! I am definitely going to make some.

Corn bread and black eyed peas

Corn bread is not usually a breakfast food. Johnny cake in my neck of the woods looks like corn bread but is a finer ground corn meal, is moister and is sweet but not as sweet as full on regular cake. Regular corn bread is savory served with savory foods and usually serve warm and johnny bread is served room temp with chilled fruit or lemon or lime curd as a refreshing midday snack or dessert. Now there is also 'sweet corn' bread but it is made with sweet corn and not actually all that sweet. And to throw one more corn bread at you...crackling corn bread...i am not a fan, but it is savory and a very dry corn bread.

Cracklin's, perhaps?

Mmm, that sounds good. I've had bacon cornbread, which was very good. But my all time preference is jalapeno cornbread whose sublime sweetness comes only from the corn.

Then I add sweet butter, and sometimes honey.

Have I mentioned that before?

OK, so, cornbread should only be sweetened by the corn with which it is made. Even though I sm from NYC, I agree with those South of the Mason Dixon line.

Most Notherners add sugar and other ingredients to sweeten the actual batter before cooking. That makes it more of a corn muffin (just different shapes) IMO, which is OK by itself both as a breakfast food as well as dessert.

Either cornbread's flavour is enhanced with the addition of butter, and if ypu're in the mood, honey, Honey. :)

Then I add sweet butter, and sometimes honey.

Have I mentioned that before?

Yep - that's the third time that I can think of in recent weeks - and why not?

Nothing like a bit of reinforcement to get the message over

Back
Top Bottom