Recipe What to serve with cornbread?

Booyah!

Lol, apologies. I got excited.

Last edited:
Cracklin's, perhaps?

Mmm, that sounds good. I've had bacon cornbread, which was very good. But my all time preference is jalapeno cornbread whose sublime sweetness comes only from the corn.

Then I add sweet butter, and sometimes honey.

Have I mentioned that before?

I don't know if you did, but I did!
Let us not forget the Mexican version of" corn bread", the tamale. You might even include the corn tortilla.

Last edited:
In my family we always served it with one of these side dishes mustard greens,spinach, or green beans. Then we would have mash potatoes with some kind of meat which was fried chicken or country fried steak. This is for brunch of course when it comes to breakfast growing up it was always served with a sunny side up egg and then you had your cornbread next to it with some butter.

This is for brunch of course when it comes to breakfast growing up it was always served with a sunny side up egg and then you had your cornbread next to it with some butter.

Ah - that is interesting. Was that in the South or North? Practices seem to vary accordingly.

Ah - that is interesting. Was that in the South or North? Practices seem to vary accordingly.
South naturally :happy: I was raised with good old Southern American culture. Oh that reminds me sometimes we had a side dish of swamp cabbage with the cornbread during brunch. That was the best :D nothing beats a good helping of swamp cabbage.

South naturally :happy: I was raised with good old Southern American culture. Oh that reminds me sometimes we had a side dish of swamp cabbage with the cornbread during brunch. That was the best :D nothing beats a good helping of swamp cabbage.

So this is an example of cornbread with breakfast with a fried egg as served in the South.

Swamp cabbage - I'm not sure what that is.

So this is an example of cornbread with breakfast with a fried egg as served in the South.

Remember when I told you I would take you out in the Everglades and we could spend hours cutting down and stripping a cabbage palmetto tree to get hearts of palm? That is swamp cabbage. @pinkcherrychef , are we talking soul food?

Well I'm only familiar with to kinds of cornbread the regular plain not sweet kind and the sweet southern corn bread. Both types were made in my family. Swamp cabbage is basically heart of palm,regular cabbage,and a meat that has a high fat content. My great Aunt made it as a soup. It's absolutely delicious and goes great with cornbread.

Remember when I told you I would take you out in the Everglades and we could spend hours cutting down and stripping a cabbage palmetto tree to get hearts of palm? That is swamp cabbage. @pinkcherrychef , are we talking soul food?
Swamp cabbage is a name of a dish that was made in my family it's very popular in the south and yes the main ingriedent is heart of palm and what makes the dish taste so delicious. Oh and yes the name swamp cabage is another name for heart of palm. Soul food I'm debating whether I know the meaning of this correctly lol. Honestly I don't think I do know it quite right lol.

Back
Top Bottom