What type of kettle do you use?

More importantly, our new kitchen tap arrived today, and a plumber has been found to fit it tomorrow. Probably will be the most exciting thing to happen all week.

Firstly, you are lucky to get a plumber. Secondly, is it a Quooker tap? If so you are very very posh.

Half a litre took 1 minute 40 seconds until the kettle automatically switched off. In fact, it was boiling a bit before it switched off.
I can already tell you mine's not that fast. Maybe that article regarding the difference in voltage affecting boiling speed was onto something.

If the voltage is so different, doesn't this affect other appliances?
Here's the article I read before:

Why Europeans use electric kettles but Americans don't

And here's the important bit:

"To raise the temperature of one litre of water from 15°C to boiling at 100°C requires a little bit over 355 kilojoules of energy. An "average" kettle in the UK runs at about 2800 W and in the US at about 1500 W; if we assume that both kettles are 100% efficient† than a UK kettle supplying 2800 joules per second will take 127 seconds to boil and a US kettle supplying 1500 J/s will take 237 seconds, more than a minute and a half longer."

Secondarily, I think they also mentioned we (Americans) don't really boil water for much, since we don't drink tea as much, and when we make coffee at home, it's largely with an automatic drip coffee maker.

This is a not very clear picture of my kettle:
a0cYjPwl.jpg

Its very lightweight and takes just over 1 minute to boil enough water for a large mug of tea :okay: We bought it (and the matching toaster) when we re-did the kitchen worktops and splashbacks - the photos doesn't show it very but I love the way the different facets reflect the light. Here's a better picture:

71IhKUKJICL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

What type of kettle do you use? One with a broken lid, is the answer. It works perfectly well, but the spring on the lid has gone and you have to prise the lid off and jam it back on if you want to open the top.

What type of kettle do you use? One with a broken lid, is the answer. It works perfectly well, but the spring on the lid has gone and you have to prise the lid off and jam it back on if you want to open the top.
My last one was like that. :)

Firstly, you are lucky to get a plumber. Secondly, is it a Quooker tap? If so you are very very posh.
No, it's a direct replacement for the old one, with one of those pull out hose thingies. On reflection, it would have made sense to install a Quooker - it takes ages to get hot water through from the boiler.

Ok, here are my results, using my ALDI Ambiano ceramic kettle:

Amount of water: 2 1/2 cups/600ml
Starting temp of water: 65F/18C
Ambient temp of kitchen: 68F/20C

Time from start to automatic shutoff of kettle: 3 minutes, 50 seconds.

Tomorrow, I'll time how long it takes my Keurig to reach temp after sitting turned off overnight. It's much faster. I'm fairly certain I don't have a stovetop kettle, or I'd check that as well.

Yes. Major appliances like clothes dryers and ovens are wired at 220V over here.

CD

Unlike most of Europe where the 220v is a leg carrying the full voltage, a neutral and a ground/earth at 50hz, our 220v is 2 equal legs of 110v/120v and a ground/earth at 60hz.

Back
Top Bottom