What type of kettle do you use?

May as well throw this in the mix:

This is my wife's preferred way to make her morning tea - a small automatic drip coffee maker. She puts a few teabags in the basket, pours in the water, and a few minutes later, she's got tea, and it does surprisingly well, as the drip is slow enough to allow the teabags to steep.

I didn't measure the temp or the amount, except to say it's three Mr. Coffee cups, so that's probably 18-20 ounces of room-temp water, and it went from no tea to tea in 4 minutes and 8 seconds.

Considering that after I heat my water for nearly four minutes in the kettle, I then have to wait another 4-5 minutes to steep my tea, my kettle is quite the slow-poke.

Now I really wish I had a stovetop kettle, just to compare.

Using a sample of four (me, two nieces, and my sister), I've just determined that 75% of Americans don't know the difference between a tea kettle and a tea pot.

...and while poking around on the internet, I found a good saying for our current situation:

"Be like a tea kettle; always up to its neck in hot water, but still sings!"

Attachment doesn't display.

Classic - my mom has one from the 1960s -- same exact kettle.

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 1.54.18 PM.png

CD

The Keurig went from being shut off overnight to ready to dispense nearly-boiling water in one minute and 46 seconds. After that, it's just steeping my tea for a few minutes before drinking.

I have that the Keurig is fastest (in my house), but that is fastest to heat water. If I want to measure going from 0-to-drinking tea, the Mr. Coffee is the winner.

If the Keurig can do that using American voltage, why can't a kettle? :scratchhead:
My guess is that the Keurig is heating a much smaller amount of water in one go.

If you look at my machine, it holds 40 ounces of water, but I think it heats only about 10 ounces at a time, and then holds that at temp for as long as the machine is on.

Back
Top Bottom