What will you be watching on TV tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're watching Shang-Chi & The Legend Of The Ten Rings. It's as good as I expected, and I don't mean that as a compliment.

Started the Peter Jackson Beatles documentary on Disney+ - that'll have to be viewed over many days as it's several hours long.

Finishing up with a Brooke Shields Christmas movie.

Watched an absolutely wonderful Christmas movie tonight, from Finland, called "Christmas Story" (no, not the one you may be thinking of ).

It's the story of how a young orphan grows up to be Santa. Apart from a different version of the stories we've heard before, the scenery is simply magnificent, and I kept imagining our own Hemulen in her woodland cabin while we were watching this. What a beautiful country.

:ohmy: I thought Santa was immortal. You mean he gets replaced?
You have to watch the movie... :whistling:

Ok, I'll put it in a spoiler:

The film takes place in Lapland, where young Nikolas is orphaned at 6yo., on Christmas Day. There are six families with children in the village, and each agree to raise him for one year, so each Christmas Day, he goes to a new family.

Over those six years, he's takes to carving little toys for the other children of the families who raised him, and because he's naturally shy, he leaves them on the doorsteps of the families who raised him, after dark, on Christmas Eve. No one knows that he's the one doing this.

After six years, he's given to a terrifying old carpenter, because no one can afford to raise him any longer. Though a jerk on the surface, he's actually a nice man who's become bitter because his wife died young and his two sons left him. He teaches Nick even more about wood carving, and when Christmas Eve rolls around, he helps him deliver Nick's carved toys to the families again.

Nick grows up, the old man grows much older, repairs relations with his sons, and moves away, leaving Nick the workshop and his life savings. Nick is now wealthy, and has an epiphany. He realizes that he's been selfish for leaving gifts only for the families who helped him, and decides to dedicate himself to making toys for all the area children. He uses a team of reindeer once the horse gets too old, and he finds that they respond to him better when he wears red, so he has a suit of red made up.

Alas, he too ages, and over the years, he's enlisted the help of his best friend's daughter and her husband. He finally tells her ominously that this will be "my last Christmas," and that his wish is for the tradition to somehow continue.

He sneaks out alone (she used to accompany him to help) and makes his deliveries, and then the reindeer show up with just the empty sleigh - Nick has died along the way.

Against her wishes, her husband decides he's going to continue with the scheme. That night, she finds one last undelivered gift, to Nick's baby sister, who'd died in the lake with his parents all those years ago. He was in the habit of carving her a toy and offering it to her by putting it in the lake. Legend turned her into The Fairy Of The Lake.

She delivered that last gift on behalf of Nick, and as the gift sank into the lake, she heard Nick's laugh, looked up, and saw his glowing figure racing across the sky.

The End

You have to watch the movie... :whistling:

Ok, I'll put it in a spoiler:

The film takes place in Lapland, where young Nikolas is orphaned at 6yo., on Christmas Day. There are six families with children in the village, and each agree to raise him for one year, so each Christmas Day, he goes to a new family.

Over those six years, he's takes to carving little toys for the other children of the families who raised him, and because he's naturally shy, he leaves them on the doorsteps of the families who raised him, after dark, on Christmas Eve. No one knows that he's the one doing this.

After six years, he's given to a terrifying old carpenter, because no one can afford to raise him any longer. Though a jerk on the surface, he's actually a nice man who's become bitter because his wife died young and his two sons left him. He teaches Nick even more about wood carving, and when Christmas Eve rolls around, he helps him deliver Nick's carved toys to the families again.

Nick grows up, the old man grows much older, repairs relations with his sons, and moves away, leaving Nick the workshop and his life savings. Nick is now wealthy, and has an epiphany. He realizes that he's been selfish for leaving gifts only for the families who helped him, and decides to dedicate himself to making toys for all the area children. He uses a team of reindeer once the horse gets too old, and he finds that they respond to him better when he wears red, so he has a suit of red made up.

Alas, he too ages, and over the years, he's enlisted the help of his best friend's daughter and her husband. He finally tells her ominously that this will be "my last Christmas," and that his wish is for the tradition to somehow continue.

He sneaks out alone (she used to accompany him to help) and makes his deliveries, and then the reindeer show up with just the empty sleigh - Nick has died along the way.

Against her wishes, her husband decides he's going to continue with the scheme. That night, she finds one last undelivered gift, to Nick's baby sister, who'd died in the lake with his parents all those years ago. He was in the habit of carving her a toy and offering it to her by putting it in the lake. Legend turned her into The Fairy Of The Lake.

She delivered that last gift on behalf of Nick, and as the gift sank into the lake, she heard Nick's laugh, looked up, and saw his glowing figure racing across the sky.

The End

Thank you. Did you really take the trouble to write the whole film plot out for me?

I've been stressed out with some personal (non serious) stuff that makes it difficult to focus on what I usually like to do in my free time (reading), so I've been doing a lot of blankly staring into the TV lately. I've been watching:

- The Property Brothers
- Love It or List It (US and Australia) (am I the only person in the world who doesn't live in 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom house with 2 living spaces and 3 car garage??)
- Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries
- The Goes Wrong Show
- Jamie Oliver 15 Minute Meals (which are 30 minute meals in my kitchen, why is Jamie Oliver so sped up??)

The series "Las Vegas" , it's a marathon showing this weekend. Originally aired 2003-2008. Comedy drama - mindless TV and fun to watch as a stress reliever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom