What will you be watching on TV tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching a David Attenborough programme about how animals use colour last night, I recalled watching wildlife documentaries in the 1970s, often presented by the very same man. Most of these I viewed on a black and white television, including his epic Life On Earth series, broadcast in1979.

We marvelled at what we saw on those programmes, but these days there are all sorts of cameras and techniques that give us images that wouldn't have seemed conceivable in those days. They were also more innocent times - it was simply glorying in nature, whereas now, we are given sobering reminders of what is being lost and what will be lost if we keep destroying the planet.

We watched an episode of Midsomer Murders last night (Sunday night tradition) and I'm convinced TV detectives aren't nearly as smart as we're led to believe, because it always takes them three or four murders in a very short time to work it out.

If I lived there, and someone were murdered, I'd be leaving the village until it was solved, because you know, two or three more are about to happen.

We watched an episode of Midsomer Murders last night (Sunday night tradition) and I'm convinced TV detectives aren't nearly as smart as we're led to believe, because it always takes them three or four murders in a very short time to work it out.

If I lived there, and someone were murdered, I'd be leaving the village until it was solved, because you know, two or three more are about to happen.
I used to live in Oxford when Morse first appeared on TV and felt rather the same. The thing with that, though, was that all of the murders were centred around academia. You didn't see any of the places in Oxford that were more likely to see murders. Oxford has a few areas where you wouldn't want to walk around in daylight, never mind darkness, such as Blackbird Leys and Barton. Blackbird Leys was, at one time, the largest housing estate in Europe and had a few notorious incidents. Morse wouldn't have lasted five minutes there.

I used to live in Oxford when Morse first appeared on TV and felt rather the same. The thing with that, though, was that all of the murders were centred around academia. You didn't see any of the places in Oxford that were more likely to see murders. Oxford has a few areas where you wouldn't want to walk around in daylight, never mind darkness, such as Blackbird Leys and Barton. Blackbird Leys was, at one time, the largest housing estate in Europe and had a few notorious incidents. Morse wouldn't have lasted five minutes there.
...and I know it's easy to quibble about details, and story trumps common sense, but I'm routinely struck by the lack of presence of mind in these things sometimes.

Last night, for example, the detectives had to travel some distance to Gloucestershire for some fact-finding, which was specifically pointed out to be some distance from the fictitious village where they're based.

Midway through the interview with the head head shrinker in Gloucestershire, it all falls together for our intrepid hero, and he leaps from the chair, bolts to the car, and ominously hints that "We've got to get back as fast as we can...to prevent another tragedy!" - or words to that effect.

They proceed to drive back, quite the long distance, and arrive just after the final murder has occurred, which happens to be the mercy killing of the original murderer by her husband, to save her the shame and heartbreak of being institutionalized a second time.

What, there are no phones in Gloucestershire? Instead of leaping about and dashing dramatically down the stairs, and offering only vague info to his partner, wouldn't it have made much more sense to say, "Excuse me, Doctor, might I borrow your phone for a moment, you know, the one that's two feet in front of my face, so that I might make a quick two-minute call back to my station, to alert them to get someone over to the house where this murderer is?"

It's on here at 11.55 today am. I like it as well. I'd make a good cop I think. Lol.

Russ

It's on here at 11.55 today am. I like it as well. I'd make a good cop I think. Lol.

Russ
I like how every episode has something...intimate going on - usually some neighbor poking some other neighbor whom they shouldn't be poking, and if they can work it out to make it even more unexpected, like the old housekeeper getting busy with the employer's 17yo son, or the vicar playing humpy-humpy with the local tough, and whatever it is, they're never the killer. It's just included to delight the viewers. :laugh:

I like how every episode has something...intimate going on - usually some neighbor poking some other neighbor whom they shouldn't be poking, and if they can work it out to make it even more unexpected, like the old housekeeper getting busy with the employer's 17yo son, or the vicar playing humpy-humpy with the local tough, and whatever it is, they're never the killer. It's just included to delight the viewers. :laugh:

Great summation tasty, I've prolly seen most of them. I'm watching Washington ATM. Two hr doco.

Russ

Great summation tasty, I've prolly seen most of them. I'm watching Washington ATM. Two hr doco.

Russ

It must be Sunday night! :laugh:

Midsomer Murders got into a spot of bother quite some years ago. When asked why there was no racial diversity portrayed one of the producer type guys said that there was no place for that, it was the last bastion of Englishness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom