What will you be watching on TV tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd certainly watch that, though I'd need subtitles...

Roberto Benigni will present it by reading something of La Divina Commedia. The programme is called “il Quinto dell’Inferno” on Rai3. I don’t know if there is any chance to watch it from the UK with subtitles on youtube, perhaps.

Last edited:
Ha...I knew there was a duplicate-ish thread (I earlier posted the same thing to the Your Favorite TV programs thread)

There's a series on the National Geographic channel called Genius. The first season was about Albert Einstein. The second season was about Pablo Picasso. This season is about Aretha Franklin.

deqxvymteymjm2ndc2-_v1_ux182_cr0-0-182-268_al_-jpg.jpg

The one thing that all 3 have in common was the absolute certainty in their abilities, and the drive to create greatness. This doesn't mean the path was smooth, which is part of what makes the storytelling so interesting.

I understand that the series has been renewed, and season 4 will be about Martin Luther King, which I'm sure will be remarkable. Unfortunately, the series has been bought by Disney+. Booooo!!!! I won't want to have to pay to watch this, but I probably will.

Roberto Benigni will present it by reading something of La Divina Commedia. The programme is called “il Quinto dell’Inferno” on Rai3. I don’t know if there is any chance to watch it from the UK with subtitles on youtube, perhaps.

Boring. Sadly that’s the only thing I can say about it. It was mostly an extract of Roberto Benigni’s TV show broadcasted few years ago about Dante. I enjoyed it for 10 mins, then it was too much focused on Benigni. Other Italian actors joined on-line reading something, but I was already sleeping

Catching up on a three-part BBC4 series about Welsh art. We discovered a whole load of things we didn't know, including the groundbreaking styles of Welsh artists such as Richard Wilson and Thomas Jones (the original Tom Jones). JMW Turner, though not Welsh, painted many scenes in Wales, something I didn't know about. Here's an interesting page on the excellent Art UK website about Welsh artists:

Sixteen wonderful Welsh artists | Art UK

Catching up on a three-part BBC4 series about Welsh art. We discovered a whole load of things we didn't know, including the groundbreaking styles of Welsh artists such as Richard Wilson and Thomas Jones (the original Tom Jones). JMW Turner, though not Welsh, painted many scenes in Wales, something I didn't know about. Here's an interesting page on the excellent Art UK website about Welsh artists:

Sixteen wonderful Welsh artists | Art UK

I found it really interesting. I particularly liked Kyffin's style.
I've pointed this link out to a Welsh friend of mine, he's delighted. Thanks from both of us.

I found it really interesting. I particularly liked Kyffin's style.
I've pointed this link out to a Welsh friend of mine, he's delighted. Thanks from both of us.
I really enjoyed the work of Thomas Jones, who was a pupil of Richard Wilson. He travelled a lot in Italy and I like his deceptively simple-looking scenes in Naples. They look much more modern than the 18th century.

I really enjoyed the work of Thomas Jones, who was a pupil of Richard Wilson. He travelled a lot in Italy and I like his deceptively simple-looking scenes in Naples. They look much more modern than the 18th century.

I'm still looking at the website right now and yes, I'm really enjoying Thomas Jones as well. A very good description of his "deceptively simple-looking scenes" in Naples.
The Bay of Naples painting is impressive and I like to think of the city of Naples and its being so lively and messy (I love Naples) which contrasts with Jones' way of portraying delicate, almost ethereal features, 'faintly visible' as they described his work.
It is a pity that some photos are not available, I would have loved to see how he portrayed the houses of Naples.

We watched a Julien Temple film, Crock of Gold: A Few Rounds With Shane MacGowan last night. As soon as you see that Julien Temple is involved, you know there's a good chance it will be worth watching. He makes some excellent films.

Doubtless, Shane MacGowan wasn't the easiest subject, but you get a rounded picture of this complex and often brilliant man. The film isn't judgemental and it is, in turn, funny, sad and moving. Five stars.

red-dwarf-a948ff7.png

Red Dwarf (TV Series 1988– ) - IMDb

A friend of mine from Canterbury introduced me to Red Dwarf in the early 90s. As with many such things back then, keeping up with the series was challenging unless I decided to buy the DVDs, which I did for a few series (NOTE: what we yanks call "seasons" are called "series" in Britain...so, the first season was Series 1). But, now I can subscribe to whatever streaming service it was that has this now (I honestly can't recall...it was an offshoot of Amazon Prime, and I pressed the buttons to pay for it last night). Regardless I decided to start with the first episode last night. Such a terrifically silly show.

View attachment 60665

Red Dwarf (TV Series 1988– ) - IMDb

A friend of mine from Canterbury introduced me to Red Dwarf in the early 90s. As with many such things back then, keeping up with the series was challenging unless I decided to buy the DVDs, which I did for a few series (NOTE: what we yanks call "seasons" are called "series" in Britain...so, the first season was Series 1). But, now I can subscribe to whatever streaming service it was that has this now (I honestly can't recall...it was an offshoot of Amazon Prime, and I pressed the buttons to pay for it last night). Regardless I decided to start with the first episode last night. Such a terrifically silly show.

Canterbury is just down the road from here. Its a good place to visit.

Red Dwarf used to be a favourite of mine too.

We've been watching a very good documentary series on BBC2, a three-parter looking at the biggest criminal organisation in London during the 1960s and 1970s. Yep, it's about the Metropolitan Police.

The series is called Bent Coppers: Crossing the Line of Duty. The Met appear to have spent a lot of their time acting as a kind of mafia, with the Flying Squad and the Obscene Publications Squad being especially active in the field of protection rackets. Of course, the claims at the time were that it was just one or two "bad apples" but that was obviously nonsense then and most of us knew it.

We've started watching Norsemen on Netflix - exactly our kind of humor. Enjoying that very much.

We finished up Falcon And The Winter Soldier...so-so. I'm getting MOS - Marvel Overload Syndrome.

We also watched The Dig, which we both liked quite a bit, but with the usual warning that it's "based on true events," so 49% of the story was likely made up. :laugh:

Last night was a little horror movie, The Blackcoat's Daughter, which we liked better than we thought. It's a good movie that can make you feel a little sadness for the homicidal maniac. 😬

Oh, and I also watched a so-bad-it's-good Jack The Ripper movie, from 1985, complete with a Let's-Get-Physical-style dance number, and I watched one of my favorite B-movie stars, Anita Ekberg, in The Killer Nun, also based on true events, about a drug-addicted, sex-fueled, murderous nun. I think it was only about 1% true, in that there was the case of a drug-addicted, sex-fueled, murderous nun (in Belgium), but that's where the similarities ended.

Last night irewatched Rob Zombie's "31"
I've seen it a couple of times and it gets better ever time. I actually enjoyed it this time.
I do find that with Zombie's films.
Always force yourself to watch them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom