What would you choose?

I loved David Rosengarten, way back when he was on PBS. Back when he/they actually TAUGHT how to cook and techniques.

Me too. You should see if you can find a copy of his cookbook used at a good price. I make moussaka using his recipe, except I increase the bechamel a bit. There are some pretty good recipes in it.

BTW, the same sandwich made with pastrami is a Rachel.
Here, when a menu mentions a Rachel, it’s usually made with…wait for it…turkey instead of corned beef.

Despite my forum name, I’ve never tasted a reuben.

Here, when a menu mentions a Rachel, it’s usually made with…wait for it…turkey instead of corned beef.

Despite my forum name, I’ve never tasted a reuben.

I knew that, but we're just the opposite. The delis here that we visit all make Rachel's with pastrami.

I don't like rye bread, so have never had a true Reuben, but I have made them for us when I make small batch sauerkraut, using rye for Craig and a hearty white bread or bagel for me. I don't mind eating homemade sauerkraut at all, just not the nasty stuff available at the regular grocery.

I did, however pick some housemade sauerkraut up a few months ago from a Jewish deli for Craig's hotdogs. It was a bit too salty for my taste, so I gave it a rinse and soaked it in some fresh water, then drained. It turned out pretty decent after that.

IMG_3785.JPG

Mom just gave me the menu the other day for this coming Sunday Lunch at her Senior Living Community

I knew that, but we're just the opposite. The delis here that we visit all make Rachel's with pastrami.

I don't like rye bread, so have never had a true Reuben, but I have made them for us when I make small batch sauerkraut, using rye for Craig and a hearty white bread or bagel for me. I don't mind eating homemade sauerkraut at all, just not the nasty stuff available at the regular grocery.

I did, however pick some housemade sauerkraut up a few months ago from a Jewish deli for Craig's hotdogs. It was a bit too salty for my taste, so I gave it a rinse and soaked it in some fresh water, then drained. It turned out pretty decent after that.
I like pumpernickel but not regular rye bread. It's the darned caraway seeds I don't like. I am not fond of sauerkraut either. I made some once because my husband likes it. My in-laws ruin perfectly good pork roast every NY day by cooking the pork roast with sauerkraut on top of it. Yuck. I have eaten and made sauerkraut balls with corned beef (breaded and fried) that are okay.

Whenever I see a new menu, I always try to find something I've never tried before, so I'd take a risk on the pickled Brussels sprouts salad, the smoked salmon and the cheese plate. No way could I attempt cold, stuffed pasta antipasto. It just goes against all my principles :hyper: .
The Dover sole would be a must.

I'm not entirely sure as to what I'll have, but the Prime Rib is for sure!
"Guests" are only $20pp and residents are $16pp - what a steal wouldn't you say? AND a cocktail to boot!!!! (Mom and I will of course bring our own Wine to augment that single cocktail :cheers: but I'm pretty sure she's having the Peach Bellini 🥂 DH is the Designated driver as he does not imbibe in any alcohol.

I don’t think they serve alcohol in our Cracker Barrel’s.

Back
Top Bottom