Whatcha drinking (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have loads and loads of booze, which makes people think we drink all the time, but we actually drink very little.
We have loads and loads of booze, which makes people think we drink all the time. Correct.

We have loads and loads of booze which makes people think we drink all the time. True - except for tuesdays and thursdays* and before 11.30** a.m.

* this may not be 100% accurate if there are mince pies and tawny port around, and
** this may not be 100% accurate if I'm preparing any food on xmas day, or if I've finished a friday night bike ride.

Roast Pork served at the weekend, so decided to go for a pinot noir:
full.jpg

Spatbugunder is German for Pinot Noir. Decent pinot noir from almost anywhere, especially Burgundy, is now sadly out of my price range and I find inexpensive pinot noir either too sweet (e.g. Chile) or too thin and acidic (e.g. Romania)* and tend to be one dimensional. This cost £14.50, astonishing value for such a good wine. If you like pinot noir, Germany can be a good hunting ground.
If you are prepared to pay £20 -25 for tasty pinot noir then south africa and canada both have excellent producers, although the latter can be a little difficult to find in the UK. I've found californian pinots too expensive and too big and blowsy for my taste.
*this applies to my changing taste; if you enjoy pinot noir and want something inexpensive, chile. romania, moldova and south of france are all areas worth exploring.

And to follow, a new recipe for apple cake, accompanied by a dessert wine from the Loire Valley:
full.jpg

Fesles is the producer, Bonnezeaux is the appellation, Chenin Blanc is the grape. Now 23 years old, originally bought while in france about 20 years ago, it had matured beautifully. The whole bottle had been consumed before being able to take a picture of it, apologies - a deep, deep golden colour. Very sweet obviously with layers of flavours coming through, balanced with a streak of acidity making it refreshing. On and on the flavours stayed in the mouth. I have had the fortune to drink some astonishingly good dessert wine over the years e.g. d'Yquem, Klein Constantia's Vin de Constance, ice wine from Canada, Tokaji from Hungary and this was the best I've ever had. Bliss.
I think chenin blanc is hugely underrated. It makes some of the driest wines you can taste to some of the sweetest and everything in between. The labels should make it abundantly clear what the sweetness level is. Its home is the Loire Valley, while excellent examples may be found in South Africa too. All good examples will have its signature acidity - this is a good thing - and this is what makes it able to live for so long, including dry ones too.

In the fridge, there's also kirsch, vermouth, vodka, port, peppermint schnapps, crème de cassis, and peach schnapps.

That's 28 beers in the fridge as well, along with two bottles of wine and six cans of cider.

Looks like I started a trend here, showing off the liquor. Seems like everyone is getting in on the act!! Bring it on!! Let's see whatcha got!! Hah!! :whistling: :wink:

Fun thing about decanters, it could be water with caramel syrup in there, nobody cares as long as it looks the part... on a top shelf where nobody can reach it :D

I have a collection of empty booze bottles that I fill with water and food color for photos. I even have acrylic ice cubes for drink photos. If someone saw my empty bottle cabinet, they would think I have a serious drinking problem. :laugh:

CD

Next up, an expensive white:

211119-quinressence-blanc-jpg.jpg

Plain, classy label but it tells us nothing about what's in the bottle apart from where it originates (Ventoux in the Rhone Valley), not even its colour!, so turn it around :

211119-qintessence-blanc-2nd-jpg.jpg

where we learn it is white, capable of ageing. Stuff about independent estate and made in small quantities can be taken with a pinch of salt. But happens to be true in this case! Made from Roussane and Clairette, two of the usual Rhone white grapes although latter is not used much, nor in great quantity in a blend. I drank this about 2 weeks ago which is only another 6 years beyond its ageing capability! It was very tasty with roast chicken and was as described, showing no sign of fading or deterioration.
From autumn through winter, sometimes a full-bodied, full flavoured white is a good choice with certain food or folk who are not keen on full reds. Rhone whites do this. As would an oaked chardonnay or an oaky white rioja too.
Great with fish pie, almost any chicken dish, almost any pork dish and big flavoured veggie dishes (except tomato based).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom