Whatcha drinking (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit of an oddball tonight: Peanut Butter Whiskey. This is so sweet its like dessert in a shot lol
View attachment 77339
The last few challenges we've had have been nuts, mushrooms, and now tomatoes.

I frequently like to contribute a cocktail made with a challenge ingredient, and in poking around online, I found that peanut butter whiskey, mushroom-infused whiskey (and whiskey-marinated mushrooms), and tomato water cocktails are all very trendy right now.

Just goes to show...if you can think it, I can drink it!

Holiday old-fashioned:

What is in an old fashioned?
Usually, it's sugar, bitters, bourbon, with some orange and maraschino cherry. Some places will muddle the sugar and fruit together, some don't, it just depends. It's considered by some to be the granddaddy of cocktails, fairly sweet, and just about my personal favorite.

Mine, I used my vanilla-orange simple syrup in place of the sugar, then the bitters and the bourbon. I tossed in some candied orange peel. I don't like maraschino cherries at all, so I left that out.

Today's tipple:

211211-memoro-jpg.jpg

Attractive label but tells us nothing about what's in the bottle except it's an Italian red! Turn it around:

memoro-2nd-jpg.jpg

and we don't get much more beyond all the legal stuff. But this caught my eye "made from slightly dried grapes". This is indeed used to increase flavour complexity - a case of a little knowledge goes a long way, so I bought it. This technique is used in more expensive wines, the most well-known being Amarone, a big, strong, multi-faceted wine from Veneto, basically a super-supercharged valpolicella.
Drank it with lasagna and thought bloody hell this is good. It would work well with any spag bol type dish, grilled red meats and rich casseroles.
Digging into their website, I discover this is a very clever, innovative, modern wine. Under new-ish euro rules, it is a multi-regional blend, hence "Rosso d'Italia" on the label, as opposed to a specific region. Nero d'Avola from Sicily, Merlot from Veneto, oak aged Montepulciano from Abruzzo and part dried Primitivo from Puglia. There is no vintage indication so grapes come from different years.
An absolute bargain at £8.00 from Sainsburys, Morrisons (£8.50) and Tesco in the UK - often on offer when it becomes a stinking steal. Piccini is a huge operation and so export container loads. Also available in Australia, New Zealand, USA but not Canada. (Did not check Thailand).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom