Whatcha drinking (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And now, an amusing beer story that turned out to NOT be a sign of the apocalypse.

I first visited England in 1992. Flights were particularly cheap in the first week of July, so that's when I booked the flight. It didn't occur to me that a certain significant American holiday takes place during the first week of July. Not surprisingly, there were no celebrations to commemorate the 4th. Or so I thought. I decided to go to a pub on the south bank of the Thames, and I was amused to see that they had Budweiser available for a discount. But, I was shocked to see how many people were drinking it! I listened to see if maybe they were Americans on holiday, but all I heard were British accents. I'm sure they knew where the beer originated (although there is a Budweiser UK). It seems the low quality of the brew is just fine for some people if the beer is cheap enough. :laugh:

No...I didn't get a Budweiser. I have standards.

And now, an amusing beer story that turned out to NOT be a sign of the apocalypse.

I first visited England in 1992. Flights were particularly cheap in the first week of July, so that's when I booked the flight. It didn't occur to me that a certain significant American holiday takes place during the first week of July. Not surprisingly, there were no celebrations to commemorate the 4th. Or so I thought. I decided to go to a pub on the south bank of the Thames, and I was amused to see that they had Budweiser available for a discount. But, I was shocked to see how many people were drinking it! I listened to see if maybe they were Americans on holiday, but all I heard were British accents. I'm sure they knew where the beer originated (although there is a Budweiser UK). It seems the low quality of the brew is just fine for some people if the beer is cheap enough. :laugh:

When I lived in the UK (military), all the locals wanted me to buy Michelob for them from the base package store. Always Michelob. Always.

I love this stuff
Image from iOS (119).jpg

I drunk it in Hawaii, I loved it. I don't know why but I've never bought it here. I can get it but never bothered. I guess it's considered a "cheap" beer to you? Or is it inferior??

Russ

Russ

I drunk it in Hawaii, I loved it. I don't know why but I've never bought it here. I can get it but never bothered. I guess it's considered a "cheap" beer to you? Or is it inferior??

Russ

Russ
It's not cheap beer, but it's not expensive, either. It's just ubiquitous. It's the Pizza Hut of beers. It's the Chevrolet of beers.

I personally don't care for it at all. They use adjuncts (corn and rice) in their brewing process, which always makes for an off-tasting beer to me.

It's not cheap beer, but it's not expensive, either. It's just ubiquitous. It's the Pizza Hut of beers. It's the Chevrolet of beers.

I personally don't care for it at all. They use adjuncts (corn and rice) in their brewing process, which always makes for an off-tasting beer to me.

I first drunk it at a friends house. His mum was a generous person with the muricans that have been based at Chch airport with operation deep freeze. C130s based there. There was a lot of bud drunk,in that house. I was about 15 ? Lots of bourbon there as well.

Russ

Unfortunately, a lot of Brits seems to favour what I call Filthlager. Recently, I was sent a poll in which I was supposed to vote on "Britain's favourite beer." The list comprised some 25 of these things, from Budweiser through Corona, Carling and various other abominations. I took one look at this woeful collection and gave up.

Unfortunately, a lot of Brits seems to favour what I call Filthlager. Recently, I was sent a poll in which I was supposed to vote on "Britain's favourite beer." The list comprised some 25 of these things, from Budweiser through Corona, Carling and various other abominations. I took one look at this woeful collection and gave up.
Unfortunately, large scale beer production is now concentrated in the hands of a few large multinationals, who have the power to push huge volumes through supermarkets on very attractive promotions.

Unfortunately, large scale beer production is now concentrated in the hands of a few large multinationals, who have the power to push huge volumes through supermarkets on very attractive promotions.
One legacy of this is the wholly disingenuous claims of "craft beer" from these monster breweries, usually because they have taken over a previously independent brewer or they try to con people by making up a "craft brewer" with some hipster name. It's quite reminiscent of the old days of the "big six" whereby you'd see all these pubs with signs for long-dead breweries. For example, you used to see the names of Ansells, ABC (Aylesbury Brewing Company), Hall's, Taylor Walker, Friary Meux and various others when, in fact, all of these "regional" beers were brewed in Burton by Ind Coope/Allied or whatever else they became.

long-dead breweries.
Ironically, this process was started when government decided to force these brewers to reduce their estates. That turned out well.
brewed in Burton by Ind Coope/Allied or whatever else they became
That would be Molson Coors. I could start naming all the brands they now control (I used to do some work for them), but I have plans for the rest of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom