Whatcha drinking (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad drank Hudepohl the short time we lived in Cincinnati.

CD
The Hudepohl name (and many other legendary Cincinnati beers of the past) now belongs to Christian Moerlein Brewing. The owner isn't above trying to bully other local craft brewers around, but he has my gratitude for resurrecting some fantastic beers of long ago, and staying as true as possible to the original recipes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Moerlein_Brewing_Co.

Moerlein Lager House, Microbrewery and Restaurant | Cincinnati

The Hudepohl name (and many other legendary Cincinnati beers of the past) now belongs to Christian Moerlein Brewing. The owner isn't above trying to bully other local craft brewers around, but he has my gratitude for resurrecting some fantastic beers of long ago, and staying as true as possible to the original recipes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Moerlein_Brewing_Co.

Moerlein Lager House, Microbrewery and Restaurant | Cincinnati

Ever had Lone Star Beer? How about Shiner? Lone Star is old school, while shiner is more progressive Texas beer. It started as a small local brewery, and started to get some traction in the 1970s/1980s. It's been bought by a big corporation, like most small breweries.

Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 5.19.50 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 5.20.57 PM.jpg

CD

Ever had Lone Star Beer? How about Shiner?
Yes and yes.

Lone Star...typical "cheap" beer, and that's not a knock - every city/state has theirs. Around here, it was Hudy, where my wife grew up, it was Genesee ("Genny Cream Ale!"), and when I lived in Minnesota, it was Grain Belt.

Shiner - I've had every one of those in that pic (except for the light beer), and several others. We can get it here pretty easily, and I always like it. I just gave my neighbor a Shiner Bock that I had sitting in my fridge this morning, for his birthday. :)

4 o clock on a Sunday we normally have a drink before the kids get here. They all have other plans so just us for dinner. I ran out of beer so I'm having one of my wife's vodka cruiser. Quite nice

Russ

Yes and yes.

Lone Star...typical "cheap" beer, and that's not a knock - every city/state has theirs. Around here, it was Hudy, where my wife grew up, it was Genesee ("Genny Cream Ale!"), and when I lived in Minnesota, it was Grain Belt.

Shiner - I've had every one of those in that pic (except for the light beer), and several others. We can get it here pretty easily, and I always like it. I just gave my neighbor a Shiner Bock that I had sitting in my fridge this morning, for his birthday. :)

Did you like the Black Lager? That one didn't work for me. i didn't want to toss it, so I used it for cooking/braising. It worked for that.

Shiner Bock is very commercial now -- you can probably get it anywhere in the US. It is a Winter beer for me. Not what I want in hot weather.

CD

Did you like the Black Lager?
Yup. Being a German city, most of Cincy's brewers put out an annual schwarzbier (black beer), so it's a very familiar style here, and I thought Shiner's was quite nice.

Shiner Bock is very commercial now -- you can probably get it anywhere in the US. It is a Winter beer for me. Not what I want in hot weather.
Bocks show up around here in January or so, but I think "official" bock time is closer to March, like Winter->Spring. The SB I gave our neighbor was way back in the fridge, and I missed it earlier this year, so that went into his birthday bundle of three beers. He likes German beer, so I gave him a trio, and that last bock was included.

BTW, Cincy is known for the largest Oktoberfest in the US, but beer for beer, our Bockfest is the better one, though much less well-known:

Bockfest - Wikipedia
28TH ANNUAL BOCKFEST - CINCINNATI, OHIO FEBRUARY 28 - MARCH 1, 2020

Black lager: there's several I like. Köstritzer is a particularly good one. I've had the draught version in Berlin. There are quite a few Czech ones I like as well. These tend to be a little lower in strength and you can treat them as session beers.

Black lager: there's several I like. Köstritzer is a particularly good one. I've had the draught version in Berlin. There are quite a few Czech ones I like as well. These tend to be a little lower in strength and you can treat them as session beers.
I can get that here on draft as well (and in the bottle).

I bought this at a gas station. But, this is no ordinary gas station. If you look at these other pictures, you’ll see that it’s more like a specialty market with a significant amount of eastern European goods.

Sadly, the beer isn’t good. It’s overly malty, and flat due in part to the plastic bottle. Cool carrying handle, though.

View attachment 45375

I bought this at a gas station. But, this is no ordinary gas station. If you look at these other pictures, you’ll see that it’s more like a specialty market with a significant amount of eastern European goods.

Sadly, the beer isn’t good. It’s overly malty, and flat due in part to the plastic bottle. Cool carrying handle, though.
View attachment 45376

View attachment 45378

View attachment 45377

I would love a few hours in there. :)

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom