Whatcha drinking (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One legacy of this is the wholly disingenuous claims of "craft beer" from these monster breweries, usually because they have taken over a previously independent brewer or they try to con people by making up a "craft brewer" with some hipster name. It's quite reminiscent of the old days of the "big six" whereby you'd see all these pubs with signs for long-dead breweries. For example, you used to see the names of Ansells, ABC (Aylesbury Brewing Company), Hall's, Taylor Walker, Friary Meux and various others when, in fact, all of these "regional" beers were brewed in Burton by Ind Coope/Allied or whatever else they became.
Yes...I've noticed that, maybe starting 10 years ago. The "macro-breweries" want all the money, so they've either purchased existing craft breweries, or they hire a team to set one up. It feels a bit like the mafia owning a legitimate business, but it's set up with blood money. Maybe I'm going a bit far with that analogy. :laugh:

The common theme with all of those mega breweries that revived old names was that their beer was, at best, bland and quite often truly horrible. I lived in Oxford when the old Hall's name came back. All the pubs got Hall's signs and we were treated to Hall's Harvest Bitter, an utterly disgusting liquid. Along with M&B Brew XI, it is quite the most revolting beer I have ever tasted.

We're fortunate to have a few small, local breweries that are doing quite well. The nearest is only about 3 miles away - Salopian, who do a mighty fine golden ale - imaginatively called 'Shropshire Gold', and sell direct to the public as well as through pubs.

We're fortunate to have a few small, local breweries that are doing quite well. The nearest is only about 3 miles away - Salopian, who do a mighty fine golden ale - imaginatively called 'Shropshire Gold', and sell direct to the public as well as through pubs.
I've had a mixed case of beers from Salopian and they were very nice. I've also tried a mixed case from another one round that way, Stonehouse. We got these from Best of British Beer, who are based in Staffordshire and sell beer from that sort of area from various breweries. They have a few from further afield, including the excellent Cheddar Ales in Somerset, who brew the magnificently-named Gorge Best.

Not exactly original, but Adnams' Ghost Ship is a reliably pleasant ale. It's 4.5%, with good bitterness and a fair citrus zing to it.

Is the hipster fad of drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon , AKA: PBR over, yet?

By the way, when I am working outside and it is almost 100F out there, with full sun, at the end of the day, a Coors Light longneck that has been buried in a cooler full of ice all day is my favorite beer on the planet. The first one goes down in less than 30 seconds.

Other times, I prefer better crafted beers. But on those brutally hot days, That light beer, ice cold, just hits the spot.

CD

I'm drinking a full liter in honor of Oktoberfest, which around here, starts in August (the benefit of living in a region full of Germans - every town has an O'fest, so we have to start them early). This weekend would have been our first of about 15 O'fests over the next couple of months.

Is the hipster fad of drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon , AKA: PBR over, yet?
On a related note, out of nowhere, the radio played "Rednecks, White Socks, And Blue Ribbon Beer," this morning on the way to the grocery.

By the way, when I am working outside and it is almost 100F out there, with full sun, at the end of the day, a Coors Light longneck that has been buried in a cooler full of ice all day is my favorite beer on the planet.
I think we all have our favorite "lawnmower beer." Mine is a favorite from an historic Cincinnati brewery (Hudepohl), Bürger beer.

I'm drinking a full liter in honor of Oktoberfest, which around here, starts in August (the benefit of living in a region full of Germans - every town has an O'fest, so we have to start them early). This weekend would have been our first of about 15 O'fests over the next couple of months.

On a related note, out of nowhere, the radio played "Rednecks, White Socks, And Blue Ribbon Beer," this morning on the way to the grocery.

I think we all have our favorite "lawnmower beer." Mine is a favorite from an historic Cincinnati brewery (Hudepohl), Bürger beer.
View attachment 45294

My dad drank Hudepohl the short time we lived in Cincinnati.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom