Whatcha drinking (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty of Earl Grey tea gets drunk in this house, but last night it was Earl Grey IPA from Chiltern brewery that was going down. The brewery got together with the London-based tea business Birchall to come up with the beer. It's a rather gentle IPA at 3.9% and that's exactly what it tastes like. There is a light orange tang and a decent bitterness. It's certainly a pleasant beer and good for quaffing, but I struggled to get much of an Earl Grey taste. Perhaps it's better that way or it might prove a little overpowering.
Nothing like that here, whatsoever.

Russ

Only as a little drop at the end of a beer evening (honest, guv). I find a tot of rum goes very well with a stout or porter and the whisky or cognac with a paler beer.

I've had a few changes of habit when it comes to spirits. In younger days, I had a taste for vodka, but I've not touched it for years. I went through a gin and tonic phase, but the only time I've drunk gin in the past few years was when we got a small sample bottle from some order for other drinks. Cognac I've liked for a long time. I used to drink whisky on and off for a while, but it's only in the past couple of years that I've got back into it (that was all the fault of my friend Dr Susie, who gave us a 12-year-old Bowmore as a present). Rum wasn't even on my radar until I went to Cuba a few years ago and discovered that it could be very nice indeed.

My ex navy mate got me onto coruba rum, I switched to gin n tonic for a few years when I was watching my weight. Now I'm back on rum but not the white one, has to be dark preferably coruba.

Russ

Does Mrs t drink beer, my wife won't!

Russ
Yes. She can drink most people under the table. She's also a three (or four) time champion beer chugger at our German club, out-chugging over a hundred other competitors each time, mostly big, burley manly-men, to down a liter of beer in seconds flat. She's got the ribbons to prove it.

Yes. She can drink most people under the table. She's also a three (or four) time champion beer chugger at our German club, out-chugging over a hundred other competitors each time, mostly big, burley manly-men, to down a liter of beer in seconds flat. She's got the ribbons to prove it.

Can she manage a beer bong? I can't. My roommate in college was an expert.

CD

We get a beer yard glass normally for 21st. I havnt seen one in ages. Have you seen those??

Russ

Can she manage a beer bong? I can't. My roommate in college was an expert.

CD
I've never seen her try, but I'm sure she could. Do you remember that guy who used to chug beer on The Man Show years ago? When she wants to, she can drink one that fast.

At the last medals contest she competed in (a few years ago), I had to hand it to her. Everyone usually gets something that's easier to drink, like a Spaten, and a couple of the guys were teasing her, so she called their bluff and competed with a thick, rich, hi-ABV doppelbock...and won. :laugh:

We get a beer yard glass normally for 21st. I havnt seen one in ages. Have you seen those??
Russ
Yep, we have those, both at restaurants and weekend festivals.

I've never seen her try, but I'm sure she could. Do you remember that guy who used to chug beer on The Man Show years ago? When she wants to, she can drink one that fast.

At the last medals contest she competed in (a few years ago), I had to hand it to her. Everyone usually gets something that's easier to drink, like a Spaten, and a couple of the guys were teasing her, so she called their bluff and competed with a thick, rich, hi-ABV doppelbock...and won. :laugh:

Yep, we have those, both at restaurants and weekend festivals.
Another funny tidbit about my wife and booze. When I first met her, she'd rarely drink anything except a couple of somewhat sugary mixed drinks, and she always turned her nose up at beer.

She even used to tell me she couldn't drink much because she was "allergic to alcohol." - I found out later that was because she'd gotten sick on melon balls (Midori) and she just assumed she'd had an allergic reaction.

Then we moved to the UK, and she got to drink decent beer (when we were dating back in the late-'80's, there wasn't the craft beer explosion like we have now), and we went to Germany and had good beer, and she suddenly realized that she liked beer...quite a bit.

Now, beer is her drink of choice, though she loves whiskey and bourbon, too, though amaretto is probably her favorite liquor.

She also likes wine and champagne and brunch drinks that feature that.

Ok, I guess what I'm saying is, there ain't much she won't drink. 🥂 🍻 🥃 🍷

Russ

There is a place in Dallas called The Gingerman, where you can order a yard or half-yard. There is a hefty deposit on the glassware.

CD

There is a place in Dallas called The Gingerman, where you can order a yard or half-yard. There is a hefty deposit on the glassware.

CD

There nothing of our son, 5' 3" slim build but he works our daily, BUT he can eat and drink crazy amounts of both. I have no idea where he gets it from.? As a kid he would only eat tomato sauce/ ketchup sauce sammys. He loves heat in chillies, we don't.

Russ

The subject of women and drinking allows me to reminisce about how I met Catherine. She was playing at the Cambridge Folk Festival. I saw her on stage and was impressed. Now, I'm pretty sure that if I'd not indulged in several pints of Greene King IPA by that stage of the evening, I wouldn't have had the nerve to go up to her in the bar and lavish praise on her musical talents. And very possibly, had she not had a few beers by then, she would have told me to take a running jump. Thankfully, we hit it off immediately, exchanged phone numbers and met up (yes, in a pub) a few days later.

Don't let anybody tell you drink is only a force for evil...

The subject of women and drinking allows me to reminisce about how I met Catherine. She was playing at the Cambridge Folk Festival. I saw her on stage and was impressed. Now, I'm pretty sure that if I'd not indulged in several pints of Greene King IPA by that stage of the evening, I wouldn't have had the nerve to go up to her in the bar and lavish praise on her musical talents. And very possibly, had she not had a few beers by then, she would have told me to take a running jump. Thankfully, we hit it off immediately, exchanged phone numbers and met up (yes, in a pub) a few days later.

Don't let anybody tell you drink is only a force for evil...

Unknown-3.jpeg

CD :laugh:

On the subject of beer, an old favourite last night in the shape of Woodforde's Wherry. It's a really pleasant session beer at 3.8% with an amber colour and good balance. There is a slight hint of toffee sweetness followed by plenty of hop. Goes down extremely smoothly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom