Whatcha drinking (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Sardina? Interesting.

There is an Irish red ale, it originates from Europe though. BrewDog do a nice red ale called "5am Saint", when you can get hold of it...

Yes it’s from Sardinia.

Thank you for the suggestion about red ale “5am Saint”, it’s a nice name too. I shall take a look next time at supermarket

I recall drinking a pomegranate wheat beer about three years ago. It was most certainly from a craft brewer in Italy, but I'm afraid I can't recall the name of the brewer or where it was from. Not very helpful...it was a nice beer, though.

Yes it’s from Sardinia.

Thank you for the suggestion about red ale “5am Saint”, it’s a nice name too. I shall take a look next time at supermarket
When I first saw the name I got confused with Ischia, the island off Naples. It's available on line here, so I might give it a try, or look out for it on our next trip to Italy (whenever that might be!).

When I first saw the name I got confused with Ischia, the island off Naples. It's available on line here, so I might give it a try, or look out for it on our next trip to Italy (whenever that might be!).

Ichnusa (Ichnusa is one of the ancient name of Sardinia) is available on line there? Oh nice. It’s a light beer, something I enjoy while eating, so not a gourmand beer but it’s ok. It’s been very popular all over Italy, not only in Sardinia. There is also a Sicilian beer called Birra Messina which has little crystal salt in. Very good too, but for affection, the Sardinian one is better :laugh:

From Sardina? Interesting.

There is an Irish red ale, it originates from Europe though. BrewDog do a nice red ale called "5am Saint", when you can get hold of it...

Now that’s funny. I’ve just found out on Google that the “5am Saint beer” is distributed by a Sardinian beer distributor!

A first taste of the St Remy brandy last night. We bought this on a bit of a whim, spotting it going fairly inexpensively, rather than the cognac we usually have in the house. First impressions were good. I thought it might prove a bit bland, but you pick up quite a few flavours just from a small glass. I also thought it might have a few rough edges, but it's pretty smooth. Taken unmixed, as is normal in this abode.

Water at the moment. After getting all the work done, I could not stop yawning, took 2 short naps, can't remember yawning this much recently at any point... took an extra vitamin C half an hour ago.
Just realized I only had 1 coffee today. Instead of 3. Could that be it?
And I woke up fairly early, before 6 am...had a go go go day, although not extremely crowded...I feel like my pillow is so inviting...:giggle:

It is supposed to get +15C tomorrow...

Last night's offering was Woodforde's Conquest Imperial Lager (4.5%), a rather militaristic sounding name that suggests something a bit more powerful than mid-strength.

"What!" readers expostulate, "lager in the Mallard Tavern? What is going on? Are they turning into lagerducks?"

Well, no. I don't have any objection to lager per se; it is simply a style of beer. What I do object to is freezing cold, gassy bilge that is mass-produced in vast quantities for people with no taste buds. Nor do I enjoy the bland offerings of bog-standard Eurolager that prevails across this (and other) continents.

There is no reason at all why a lager beer shouldn't have flavour and taste. Conquest doesn't do too badly, having a citrus hop note and a slightly zesty tang. It's quite a crisp and refreshing beer, though it could perhaps do with a little more zing to it. Infinitely better, however, than what the licensed swill factories churn out.

Last night's offering was Woodforde's Conquest Imperial Lager (4.5%), a rather militaristic sounding name that suggests something a bit more powerful than mid-strength.

"What!" readers expostulate, "lager in the Mallard Tavern? What is going on? Are they turning into lagerducks?"

Well, no. I don't have any objection to lager per se; it is simply a style of beer. What I do object to is freezing cold, gassy bilge that is mass-produced in vast quantities for people with no taste buds. Nor do I enjoy the bland offerings of bog-standard Eurolager that prevails across this (and other) continents.

There is no reason at all why a lager beer shouldn't have flavour and taste. Conquest doesn't do too badly, having a citrus hop note and a slightly zesty tang. It's quite a crisp and refreshing beer, though it could perhaps do with a little more zing to it. Infinitely better, however, than what the licensed swill factories churn out.

Come visit me in Dallas sometime around mid-August. It may change your mind about beer served freezing cold. :heat:

CD

Come visit me in Dallas sometime around mid-August. It may change your mind about beer served freezing cold. :heat:

CD
I spent two years living on the Red Sea coast in a town where the temperatures never dropped under 30C and where people would don jackets and jumpers if it got below 35C. What I meant was beer being served freezing cold when there is absolutely no reason for it other than to remove any semblance of flavour.

Guinness is another example. It's not the worst drink going, but when it has been chilled to the state of an alcoholic ice lolly, any appeal soon disappears.

I spent two years living on the Red Sea coast in a town where the temperatures never dropped under 30C and where people would don jackets and jumpers if it got below 35C. What I meant was beer being served freezing cold when there is absolutely no reason for it other than to remove any semblance of flavour.

Guinness is another example. It's not the worst drink going, but when it has been chilled to the state of an alcoholic ice lolly, any appeal soon disappears.

I should have put a smiley emoticon on my previous post. It was rather tongue in cheek. :facepalm:

I understand. Beers like Guinness are not beers to drink freezing cold. It ruins the flavor. It is also a beer I only drank in cooler months. I generally prefer very cold lagers or pilsners in the summer here, where 35C is a good day. We get an average of 18 days over 100F (about 38C). That's average. We've had as many as 100 days over 100F in one summer.

Anyway, I like different kinds of beers, in different seasons -- and I'm not as "passionate" about beers as you are.

CD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom