Whatcha drinking (2023)?

569372F9-D187-4C7B-BE38-0D9A6D300765.jpeg

LOVE the glassware! Very nice.
I have an obsession for that sort of stuff, but I have parred it down to only one cabinet in the kitchen.
I have my paternal Grandmother's cordial glasses and I don't even drink that stuff.

LOVE the glassware! Very nice.
I have an obsession for that sort of stuff, but I have parred it down to only one cabinet in the kitchen.
I have my paternal Grandmother's cordial glasses and I don't even drink that stuff.
That’s an Orval beer chalice:

52639BBD-97B3-4F91-BDAE-FF965F241429.jpeg

Amazon

I used to be really picky (I mean, really picky) about having the right beer in the right glass - it wasn’t good enough to have a hefe in a hefe glass; if I was drinking Franziskaner hefe, it has to be in a Franziskaner hefe glass, that sort of thing, and I had to have four of everything, to make a set.

As such, I had hundreds of beer glasses - tulips, goblets, nonics, pilsners, shakers, weizens, steins, stanges…you name it, I had it, and probably in a logo’d glass as well.

Eventually, I was drowning in them, so I parted with probably 80%, and tried to keep just two of each style around, and with no logo when possible, because to this day, it raises the hairs on my neck to drink, say, a Bitburger in a Jever glass (yes, Rocklobster, seeing that dortmunder in a Heineken glass did make my eye twitch :laugh: ).

I have a bunch of Jack Daniels glasses. Around the holidays, they package them with bottles of Jack, and the bottle with two glasses costs the same as the bottle alone. I'm not going to turn down a freebie. Of course, I can't drink it anymore, but I still have the glasses.

CD

The little bar & grill just up the road from me, I have them trained on my beer glass obsessiveness.

First, I don’t drink draft beer from there, because I don’t like their four choices of draft beer (Yuengling, Bud Light, Coors Light, Mich Ultra). No problem, they have a variety of Sam Adams in bottles, so I get that.

First time I ordered one, they brought me the bottle, no glass, then I remembered some people actually drink beer straight from a bottle (no, really!), so I asked for a glass, and she handed me a mug…from the freezer.

No one in their right mind wants a cold beer poured into a frosted mug. It makes the beer too cold, kills your tastebuds, and you can’t savor anything. Ok…if you’re drinking a Bud Light, or something like that, that’s actually a good thing, so there’s that, I suppose.

Anyway, I was waiting on a food pickup and I didn’t want that to get cold waiting on my glass to warm up, so I poured the beer in and drank it anyway.

Next time, I got it ordered right: Sam Adams Whichever, with a glass, and please rinse it in the sink for me. Sorted.

At first, they thought it was because I was picky about cleanliness, but when prompted, I just explained the glass was too cold to hold onto. That way, they don’t think I’m weird. 😎

I understand. I had a few dozen beer glasses at one time. But, i can only fit so many in the one allotted shelf. I’ll pour a Heiney in there this week to set things straight between us

There was a wonderful winery here in Cowboyville, gasp I know, but yeah it was lovely and we would go there from time to time with DH's childhood buddy who lives out that'a way (it's 4 towns up from us), anyways, on a few occasions I've "coacha-roached" as we say in Hawaii aka Five Finger Discount a set of four of their logo wine glasses :wink:
Why do you think ladies have such large hand bags? :laugh:

The little bar & grill just up the road from me, I have them trained on my beer glass obsessiveness.

First, I don’t drink draft beer from there, because I don’t like their four choices of draft beer (Yuengling, Bud Light, Coors Light, Mich Uktra). No problem, they have a variety of San Adams in bottles, so I get that.

First time I ordered one, they brought me the bottle, no glass, then I remembered some people actually drink beer straight from a bottle (no, really!), so I asked for a glass, and she handed me a mug…from the freezer.

No one in their right mind wants a cold beer poured into a frosted mug. It makes the beer too cold, kills your tastebuds, and you can’t savor anything. Ok…if you’re drinking a Bud Light, or something like that, that’s actually a good thing, so there’s that, I suppose.

Anyway, I was waiting on a food pickup and I didn’t want that to get cold waiting on my glass to warm up, so I poured the beer in and drank it anyway.

Next time, I got it ordered right: Sam Adams Whichever, with a glass, and please rinse it in the sink for me. Sorted.

At first, they thought it was because I was picky about cleanliness, but when prompted, I just explained the glass was too cold to hold onto. That way, they don’t think I’m weird. 😎

Who could possibly think YOU are weird? :scratchhead:

CD

Eventually, I was drowning in them, so I parted with probably 80%, and tried to keep just two of each style around, and with no logo when possible, because to this day, it raises the hairs on my neck to drink, say, a Bitburger in a Jever glass (yes, @Rocklobster, seeing that dortmunder in a Heineken glass did make my eye twitch :laugh: ).
I'm officially declaring you weirder than me! Lol

First, I don’t drink draft beer from there, because I don’t like their four choices of draft beer (Yuengling, Bud Light, Coors Light, Mich Ultra).
First of all, let me make something clear. Bud light and Coors do not qualify as "beer". They qualify as gnat´s ****. :laugh: :laugh:, so you´re fine in not drinking them.
Secondly, if I were as obsessed as you about drinking the right beer from the right glass, I´d probably have about 8,927 glasses in my house - which would defeat the object of having a house.:eek::D
And finally, you need to embrace my motto.
"Beer is life - the rest is just details". Drink it in a glass, in a teacup, in a silver tankard, or straight from the bottle. It´s still beer!

I´d probably have about 8,927 glasses in my house
I was probably closer to that number than I care to admit. I had the bar full, and all the rest stored in big washing machine-sized moving boxes, and I was frequently “glass diving” for the right glass with the right logo.

It was, honestly, liberating to get rid of them, and now I’m trying to get MrsT to do the same with her extensive collection of coffee/tea mugs!

Speaking of glassware…in the St. Pat’s Day topic, I mentioned making some little pudding/custard desserts for an Irish-inspired afternoon tea this weekend.

I got to looking around, and I found these really easy chocolate and vanilla pudding shots (like Jell-O shots, but with pudding, and that’s obviously pudding in the American sense); the chocolate with a little Guinness mixed in, and the vanilla with a little Baileys mixed in.

I got way too excited, because it occurred to me that I have five very small (maybe 3oz) stout glasses, from a beer tasting we’d gone to, and I had the brilliant idea of filling them 2/3rds full with the chocolate pudding, then a third with the vanilla, and they’d look exactly like wee little baby glasses of Guinness.

Positively skipped out to the bar, I was so pleased with myself, and went digging for the little glasses…are they here on the bottom shelf?…no…maybe I stuck them in the liquor cabinet, out of the way?…no…stashed over by the cookbooks?…no…

MrsT: What're ya lookin’ for?
Me: Those little Guinness glasses, the ones from the beer tasting a few years ago. I have plans…BIG PLANS!
MrsT: We got rid of those, don’tcha know.
Me: 😣 🤦🏻‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom