What's a Good Cheese for Tossed Salad?

I don’t much care for feta, though I can eat it. Blue cheese, gorgonzola, stuff like that, no way.

Probably my favorite is a load of shredded cheddar. When I was a teenager and we’d go out to eat at one of those salad bar places, I loved to fix a plate of “healthy” salad - one small piece of lettuce, one cherry tomato, and about a pound of shredded cheese, and no dressing.

Rocket, Parmesan, apple & toasted honey walnuts with a simple dressing of apple cider vinegar and olive oil is a favourite.

Rocket, pears, blue cheese, pecans, aged balsamic & olive oil.

Greek style salad with feta.

Iceberg wedges with a creamy cheesy dressing is yum.

Of course, who can go past the classic Italian Caprese salad?

I don’t much care for feta, though I can eat it. Blue cheese, gorgonzola, stuff like that, no way.

Probably my favorite is a load of shredded cheddar. When I was a teenager and we’d go out to eat at one of those salad bar places, I loved to fix a plate of “healthy” salad - one small piece of lettuce, one cherry tomato, and about a pound of shredded cheese, and no dressing.

My inlaws tend to create a “salad bar” when we have barbecues as they all prefer different combinations

Bowl of torn iceberg or cos
Cherry toms
Cucumber
Green capsicum
Red onion
Cubed cheddar
Corn kernels (canned)
Asparagus (canned)
4 bean mix (canned)
Beetroot (canned)
And an array of bottled dressings.

Something I like that I've so far seen only in the Netherlands is to add honey flavor goat's cheese, it's delicious I think especially with my favorite honey mustard dressing. Also good cheddar is nice in a salad tossed salad, when grated.

Mozzarella, feta etc are appropriate only in their respective's culture's salads I think. But that's my opinion.

I think it depends entirely on what salad you´re preparing.
If it´s lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, and radishes, then something sharp (like Feta, South American white cheese, Caerphilly) will work.
If it´s a typical "Chef´s Salad", then go ahead with Swiss, Edam or Gouda.
If your salad is Italian oriented, then why not? Parmesan, Grana Padano, Ricotta Salata, Pecorino.
If you´ve got beetroot in your salad, then blue cheese or goat cheese go well.
If your salad has walnuts, pecans, or fruit in it, then definitely goat´s cheese.
Cheddar cheese? I´d be looking for lettuce, tomato,and some raw onion in there.
It depends on what your ingredients are and then, your tastebuds as to what seems to go best with what.

My husband always requests Swiss Cheese in his salad.

And, how often do you get a blank stare as the server's brain short-circuits upon hearing this request?

"Um...what? Oh, sorry about that. I just blacked out for a second. I could have sworn I heard you ask for swiss cheese on your salad."

This sounds like it would be good with the right dressing (maybe Russian?), but I can't imagine many places offer it. But, if they sell a Reuben, they have the cheese. Even there, some places can't comprehend trying to deviate from the menu.

I should try this sometime just to see what the reaction is.

And, how often do you get a blank stare as the server's brain short-circuits upon hearing this request?

"Um...what? Oh, sorry about that. I just blacked out for a second. I could have sworn I heard you ask for swiss cheese on your salad."

This sounds like it would be good with the right dressing (maybe Russian?), but I can't imagine many places offer it. But, if they sell a Reuben, they have the cheese. Even there, some places can't comprehend trying to deviate from the menu.

I should try this sometime just to see what the reaction is.
I'm usually the server, especially at this restaurant :happy:

But yes, if, and emphasize if, he does order a salad when we eat out, he'll ask for Swiss and if it's not available, he'll ask for no cheese. You'd be surprise at how many establishments in theses parts do have Swiss, and grated to boot.

As to salad dressing, he doesn't care it, so he'll either ask for it on the side or that they leave it off altogether.
The what he does like seems only to be available in my restaurant, aka k-girl's kitchen :thankyou:, is a very small drizzle of the olive oil that comes in the jar of anchovies.

Oh wait! I totally forgot grated Parmesan! But I think of that as part of his "dressing" with dried Oregano and that fishy olive oil. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom