What's a healthy late night snack?

Well, I don't thing having a sweet before sleeping is not a wise option. Instead you can go for fruits before you sleep, than sleeping with an empty stomach. First, eat only a light snack, not a heavy meal. The digestive system slows down while you sleep, so eating too much can make you uncomfortable, gastro-esophageal reflux disease, when food or liquid travels backward from the stomach to the esophagus, causing heartburn or even cause you to choke while asleep.

I used to love cooking breakfast food for a late night snack such as scrambled eggs, but it kept me too full so I had a hard time going to sleep. I finally changed that habit though! I like to eat crackers if I get hungry, or I just make a peanut butter sandwich or a mug of hot chocolate. It's easier to make too, without the fuss of cleaning up!

If I get hungry during my late night workings, I tend to eat plain crackers with low fat cheese and drink lots of water to help reduce that hungry sensation. I don't like eating any protein or sugary snacks a couple of hours before I go to bed since it usually keeps me awake for a while.

I enjoy snacking on yogurt with granola sprinkled on the top. I also enjoy eating canned peaches with cottage cheese. If I am really health cautious, I use the lowfat cottage cheese. In my opinion, It doesn't taste as good but its still pretty good.

I think the best late night snack is some type of either fruit or nuts. But preferably fruit, because I personally think it's more difficult to go overboard with it. An apple works just fine, if it's accompanied by a tall glass of water. Generally speaking, I tend to avoid late night eating at all costs, because it disturbs my sleep, but hey, you have to be flexible in life!

For me if I get peckish late and night I definitely try the fruit or veggies route first. My go-to snack lately has been carrot and celery sticks with hummus. The crunchy feeling is sometimes all I need - for instance if I am craving crisps then I'll try the veggie sticks first and see if that knocks the craving on the head -- usually it does!

Also I do try to drink water before I reach for a snack too because a lot of the time it's just that I haven't hydrated well enough which is why I end up with that snacky feeling.

Prunes or preserved dates will do you good at night. Especially the prunes, it is good for the digestive system when eaten after dinner for it gives your lower intestines the lubrication it needs for the morning ritual. About 5 pieces of prunes will satiate your hunger for the night or maybe make it 10 pieces depending on the size of your body. Do not forget to drink water after snacking on prunes or dates.

I always have some cracker and cheese on hand for those late nights hungry pangs or I will just have a few bars of dark chocolate with a glass of water.

I'm gonna have to say carrots. I always have a pack of baby carrots in the fridge to always make sure I am never hungry in between meals. Sometimes the closest thing is grabbing some bread and salami but I have trained myself to go for the carrots. They are so healthy and and you won't ever feel guilty about eating them at anytime during the day!

I usually have some fruits cut and prepared in the refrigerator for anytime snacking. That way I do not worry much about having too much sugar and processed food. But if I am craving for carbohydrates and or sweets I would either munch on salted crackers or cookies and a cup of tea or black coffee.

I try not to eat at least two hours before I plan to go to sleep but sometimes I want a snack at night as well. I usually have fruit and vegetables prepared in my fridge so I would opt for one of those. I try not to go over a 100 calories when it's already late at night, and I love to crunch on bell peppers or cauliflower as a general snackfood. Try to find some of your favorite vegetables and always have them prepared in your fridge.

I also like to eat late night snacks. Hard boiled egg and a glass of milk will do. That's the healthiest that I get. Because sometimes I crave for pizza, cheeseburgers and milkshakes. I know it has lot's of calories and our body slows down during the night. But I really can't help it. They are my favorites so I try to get away with it. But I suggest milk, nuts and egg because they're way healthier.

Back
Top Bottom