What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d love to have fresh bay leaves. None of the garden centers around here sell them, though.

I’d love to have fresh bay leaves. None of the garden centers around here sell them, though.
I miss having one. When I was a kid in Florida we always had a bay tree (bay bush, really) right outside the door. Some of my friends who live there have them too.

Mine have survived zero temperatures.
We get temps up here well below freezing throughout winter. I was just reading that in zones 8-10 they can be grown in the ground, but we are zone 5 here in NE Ohio and I believe that where TR lives is zone 6.

Really? I wonder why. They are hardy and easy to grow and I think they would grow well in Ohio.
I have no idea. Last year, I went to the posh/expensive garden center, and their herb section alone is bigger than most other garden centers’ full stock of flowers and everything, and they didn’t carry it and sort of grinned when I asked about it, saying no one had ever asked about it before.

We get temps up here well below freezing throughout winter. I was just reading that in zones 8-10 they can be grown in the ground, but we are zone 5 here in NE Ohio and I believe that where TR lives is zone 6.

Yes. I suppose it is rather warmer here in South East England. We do get sub zero sometimes but not as low as Ohio I'm sure.

The garden is starting to take shape..Usually I have to clean out the perimeter of the back yard first as it is full of perennials and by the time Fall rolls around it is full of a bunch of other stuff that we have no idea where it came from. I finished it yesterday. Now, to turn my attention to the vegetable patch..garlic is coming up well, and I'll begin to till again this week..Probably put in some stuff like spinach, potatoes, maybe something else..I have a bunch of stuff started in the basement under the grow lights..herbs, tomatoes, my marihoochie. Will start the cukes and zukes next week..most other stuff I start with seed in a couple of weeks. Our last frost can be as late as early June so there is still no hurry to get stuff going

I think it would have to be grown in a container and brought inside during winter.
No, it is hardy. Stands snow, frost and freezing conditions (down to -10°C here) and standing in water. No need to bring it or anything like that. In fact it doesn't like the heat & drought much though the waxy leaves can cope to a degree. My wilts southern it gets into the 30°Cs unless it has shade, though online says it isn't hardy which doesn't tie in with anything I've known in the UK (Scotland and Northern England) or the alpine region of Australia.

No, it is hardy. Stands snow, frost and freezing conditions (down to -10°C here) and standing in water. No need to bring it or anything like that. In fact it doesn't like the heat & drought much though the waxy leaves can cope to a degree. My wilts southern it gets into the 30°Cs unless it has shade, though online says it isn't hardy which doesn't tie in with anything I've known in the UK (Scotland and Northern England) or the alpine region of Australia.
How well does it cope to no sun for a few months? In addition to sustained negative Fahrenheit temps (think -10C to -20C), Ohio gets the least amount of sun and we have the largest population of people with vitamin D3 deficiency in the continental US. On average, we only get 173 days of sun here.

How well does it cope to no sun for a few months? In addition to sustained negative Fahrenheit temps, Ohio gets the least amount of sun and we have the largest population of people with vitamin D3 deficiency in the continental US. On average, we only get 173 days of sun here.

Its fine I think. I have three large pots of bay and one is in permanent shade. I don't really need three large pots of bay...

Scotland isn't much better, particularly the west coast. I never saw problems. It was just slow growing.
North west coast England similarly. I've been in both with temps down to -20°C. And the UK isn't exactly known for getting too much sun.

Australia isn't all sunshine and desert. If it was, I would never have come here even for a short period on secondment.

My tree here in Australia in the cold alpine region and it gets too much sun and the UV is notoriously high (15) for long periods of the day through winter. It hates that and you can clearly see it is stressed. Most of the garden benefits from shade cloth that we've erected. Everything in the veg plot needs it. Remove it and even in mid winter things will be wilting when it hasn't made it to 5°C outside so it is a particularly hardy tree.

The one on the veranda grows better than the one in the garden and that sees no direct sun at all year round. On the big one, the best leaves are deep inside on the side that doesn't get any sun.

Scotland isn't much better, particularly the west coast. I never saw problems. It was just slow growing.
North west coast England similarly. I've been in both with temps down to -20°C. And the UK isn't exactly known for getting too much sun.

Australia isn't all sunshine and desert. If it was, I would never have come here even for a short period on secondment.

My tree here in Australia in the cold alpine region and it gets too much sun and the UV is notoriously high (15) for long periods of the day through winter. It hates that and you can clearly see it is stressed. Most of the garden benefits from shade cloth that we've erected. Everything in the veg plot needs it. Remove it and even in mid winter things will be wilting when it hasn't made it to 5°C outside so it is a particularly hardy tree.

The one on the veranda grows better than the one in the garden and that sees no direct sun at all year round. On the big one, the best leaves are deep inside on the side that doesn't get any sun.
Well if it can live in this for 3-4 months, then maybe...
1651530712657.png

Well if it can live in this for 3-4 months, then maybe...
View attachment 84712
I am well familiar with that weather having been brought up in Scotland and unable to get to school or anywhere for weeks at a time due to snow. I've even been in the situation of supplies having to be airlifted in and dropped as close as possible on one infamous occasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom