What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_1551.JPG

My indoor gardening this year.
We have far too much wildlife!
I may think about a container filled with salad greens.

Weve dried enough to last years. Sage thyme rosemary

Russ
Do you freeze them after drying them to keep them fresh? I do prefer them fresh, but like you, it gets cold enough in winter that we can't keep them alive outside.

View attachment 84146
My indoor gardening this year.
We have far too much wildlife!
I may think about a container filled with salad greens.
We have a resident groundhog who loves our lettuce and herbs. He's a real jerk. Every year he waits until right before I need to use some and he'll mow down the entire garden except for the tomatoes and onions.

The rabbits here are really bad! As are the moles and groundhogs! Pot gardening for me!
That's where our squirrels come in handy. They are very agressive. The rabbits are afraid of them, as is the chipmunk. Well sorta, she is faster than they are so she is cautious. The groundhog, unfortunately, has no fear of the other animals, just us humans. Moles I don't know, maybe we have some and I have never seen them, but since the tops of plants are what gets eaten (and everything gets toppled over,) pretty sure it's that assjerk groundhog. Plus I caught him at it a couple of times.

Moles I don't know, maybe we have some and I have never seen them,
No one normally sees moles. They live underground creating burrows whilst looking for worms and insects. The problem is the huge number of mole hills they create because all that excavated soil has to be given a new home on the surface... there's a saying about not making a mountain out of a mole hill.... lawns are their favourite target. So you have to clear the lawn of all the mole hills before you can cut the grass...

Here the native wildlife doesn't help with anything in the garden either...

The Australian magpie loves figs. They eat them before they are ripe. And they leave the stalk still attached to the tree so you can see what they've eaten.

The sulphur created cockatoo and the rosellas (crimson & eastern) all eat any fruit long before it is even vaguely ripe, though often they are actually only after the seeds inside! So the entire flock will sit and clear a tree of apples in an afternoon (and that's a large 60 year old tree).

Sulphur created cockatoos also eat the inside soft strip of flesh from branches of a certain size. They break off the branch, strip the bark off and then eat maybe 5-10cm at best, drop the branch on the ground and move on to the next branch... We call them juvenile delinquents for a reason.

The wombats are best just called mobile bulldozers. Nothing including house foundations stands in their way. But they are only after roots.

Galahs arrive in huge flocks on the lawn 50-100 strong, solely to eat the grass roots, not the actual grass.

The kangaroo and wallabies will eat anything green that they can get to and kangaroo can jump 2m high fences if they want to.

And finally possums. They just eat. Anything, anything edible and everything not edible as well. They will pick the raspberries off the canes overnight. They love nothing more unopen rose buds. They gorge on anything they can pull up, dig up, harvest, munch on or destroy...

I'm still working on some of these issues because all of this wildlife is protected by law. You're not allowed to harm them, only try to prevent them accessing the food you've so kindly planted so them.

And then there are my chickens...

Do you freeze them after drying them to keep them fresh? I do prefer them fresh, but like you, it gets cold enough in winter that we can't keep them alive outside.
We have it dried and stored in air tight containers. Enough for 10 years.
But if wife wants room, she makes room. Her call in the garden.

Russ

No one normally sees moles. They live underground creating burrows whilst looking for worms and insects. The problem is the huge number of mole hills they create because all that excavated soil has to be given a new home on the surface... there's a saying about not making a mountain out of a mole hill.... lawns are their favourite target. So you have to clear the lawn of all the mole hills before you can cut the grass...

Here the native wildlife doesn't help with anything in the garden either...

The Australian magpie loves figs. They eat them before they are ripe. And they leave the stalk still attached to the tree so you can see what they've eaten.

The sulphur created cockatoo and the rosellas (crimson & eastern) all eat any fruit long before it is even vaguely ripe, though often they are actually only after the seeds inside! So the entire flock will sit and clear a tree of apples in an afternoon (and that's a large 60 year old tree).

Sulphur created cockatoos also eat the inside soft strip of flesh from branches of a certain size. They break off the branch, strip the bark off and then eat maybe 5-10cm at best, drop the branch on the ground and move on to the next branch... We call them juvenile delinquents for a reason.

The wombats are best just called mobile bulldozers. Nothing including house foundations stands in their way. But they are only after roots.

Galahs arrive in huge flocks on the lawn 50-100 strong, solely to eat the grass roots, not the actual grass.

The kangaroo and wallabies will eat anything green that they can get to and kangaroo can jump 2m high fences if they want to.

And finally possums. They just eat. Anything, anything edible and everything not edible as well. They will pick the raspberries off the canes overnight. They love nothing more unopen rose buds. They gorge on anything they can pull up, dig up, harvest, munch on or destroy...

I'm still working on some of these issues because all of this wildlife is protected by law. You're not allowed to harm them, only try to prevent them accessing the food you've so kindly planted so them.

And then there are my chickens...
We have no mole hills, so...

We've been dipping down to 0 C the last few mornings. However, tomorrow looks much rosier. So - I planted hardy greens (spinach, some mixed lettuces etc) a few days ago, and covered the crops up at night. Today I planted the onion sets (white and red), the Yukon gold potatoes - I have space for more and need to purchase those on Monday, beet seedlings, cauliflower seedlings.

Still need to finish weeding the raised beds, but I feel I am making progress. Oh, and the rhubarb is coming up!!! I hope I have some big enough plants this year that I can harvest a few stalks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom