What's going on in your garden (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally bought some peppers and herbs. The pickings were slim, but they will have to do. I need to plant them this weekend.

I trimmed the bushes in my backyard. One is dead, so I'll have to dig it up when I get back from Houston. I may get the chain saw out and cut it down, for now.

CD

Making salad dressing, first chives of the season:

631595E5-BF92-489F-86EA-E650F6186165.jpeg

Bought parsley, dill, and basil yesterday. Set them out for planting today…frost last night killed the basil.

Bought parsley, dill, and basil yesterday. Set them out for planting today…frost last night killed the basil.

I planted mine on Saturday. The cold front took us down to 45F, but not close to freezing.

Weird thing, I am having a terrible time finding rosemary. Herbs in general at the nurseries have been pretty sketchy, this year.

CD

Weird thing, I am having a terrible time finding rosemary. Herbs in general at the nurseries have been pretty sketchy, this year.
Same here. The only rosemary I saw was one lone plant in a big hanging-type planter, for $10. :headshake:

I finally made some progress in the garden today. I’ve been meaning to get my cold-weather crops in the ground for a while, but life kept getting in the way. Today I managed to plant peas, spinach, lettuce, bunching onions, daikon radishes, and leeks. This is the first sowing, I’ll sow more in a few weeks.

I’ve got rhubarb that’s coming along nicely, chives, and it appears that some of last year’s green onions overwintered.

I’ve also got my tomatoes and peppers under the grow light. They’re small but coming along!
3C223A2F-EC39-48BF-A551-9D5C29508C87.jpeg

I saw a bunny in the yard today- also a less frequent visitor, one of the neighbourhood foxes. We’ve had a mommy fox denning in the area for several years, I think the one I saw today was one of last year’s babies. It looked young and sort of weedy. I didn’t manage to get a photo of it.
4F132ACB-077A-4BF9-AC6E-361126B00F74.jpeg

Caracas weather tomorrow:
partly_cloudy.png

°C°F
Precipitation: 20%
Humidity: 68%
Wind: 5 km/h
Looks like a good day to clear up all this mess:
Heliconia Rostrata.jpg

They're called "Heliconia Rostrata". They grow like wildfire and are absolutely, wonderfully exotic. When I was in London, I went to Harrods, and they had them on sale there. £26 EACH. I've got about £500 hanging around here...

I went to another place today, and got a great deal on some overstocked basil plants. But, still no rosemary. :scratchhead:

CD

I'm still getting tomatoes and raspberries from the "summer" crops and have a whole load of winter crops in. Typically winter crops here are cooler weather summer crops of the northern hemisphere, so oddly in growing a lot of what I would grow in the same month, if I was in the UK, so peas, beans of any type, brassicas, carrots, parsnips and so on. Anything that bolts in dry hot weather can be grown thriving winter here.

My fruit trees still have apples and 1 variety of pears on them and really the only things that are dying back are the squashes, cucumbers, courgettes, grape vine and soft tender herbs.

My sweet potatoes and aubergines are still OK on the veranda protected from colder weather. I've not harvested them yet for obvious reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom