What's going on in your garden (2024)?

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:58 PM
So the wifes weeding our old herb garden. Found a shoot of oregano after 3? Years. Transferred it to another spot. I wish she had found it a few days ago, I used store stuff when making 4x2litre pasta sauce .
Still picking raspberries and strawberries. Beans new potatoes.

Russ

I thought I put it in the right place????

Sorry

Russ
No need to apologise, just starting the new thread for 2024 with your post.
Found a shoot of oregano after 3? Years. Transferred it to another spot.
Oregano is a hardy perennial so it will quite happily survive for years in the right conditions. I've got a load of it in the garden. Marjoram is similar, also easy to grow and will survive for years and years.

So the wifes weeding our old herb garden. Found a shoot of oregano after 3? Years. Transferred it to another spot. I wish she had found it a few days ago, I used store stuff when making 4x2litre pasta sauce .
Still picking raspberries and strawberries. Beans new potatoes.

Russ

My oregano looked dead after last winter, with only a few weak looking bits still alive. Now, it has taken over one of my herb gardens. That stuff is amazingly durable.

CD

No need to apologise, just starting the new thread for 2024 with your post.

Oregano is a hardy perennial so it will quite happily survive for years in the right conditions. I've got a load of it in the garden. Marjoram is similar, also easy to grow and will survive for years and years.

My wife was more surprised than me. Daughter is taking a slip as well.

Russ

The front garden is getting there. We trimmed the Ucaro tree (bucida spinosa) so now it looks more or less decent. Chopped down a sick Chinese Palm tree, moved some other palms which needed thinning out. Next move will be to remove the (diseased) hedge and replace it with some colourful garden crotons. Then re-design the bromeliad section.
Should be all ready by about 2031...

Leaving home shortly for various stuff with last minute drop to daughter. Pea plants I grew. 15 for us and 15 for her. A garden centre and putting money into tab account for betting.

Russ

I raided the veg plot on Saturday. Came out with more than expected.

20240106_180338.jpg

The various beans were doing well, but the courgettes are struggling. Loads of small courgettes that aren't growing, so we just cooked and ate them like that. The warrigal greens (a native edible plant similar to hairy spinach) is in the process of a takeover, so I harvested some to eat, rather liberally by picking up the entire plant.... we didn't bother eating the stems (or roots), just pulled the leaves off and had those. You can eat them raw, but we prefer them cooked, just heat a pan up and throw the washed, wet leaves in, put a lid on and pull the pan off the heat. Leave for about 5 minutes until wilted, just like spinach.

20240106_181222.jpg

we didn't bother eating the stems (or roots),
Curiously enough, your "Warrigal Greens" is spinach over here. That's the standard spinach; the big leaf spinach (here it's called "Andean Spinach") is very hard to come by. I've tried eating the stems but I find them tough, although they might work for soup (which we rarely make).

View attachment 108906

The various beans were doing well, but the courgettes are struggling. Loads of small courgettes that aren't growing, so we just cooked and ate them like that. The warrigal greens (a native edible plant similar to hairy spinach) is in the process of a takeover, so I harvested some to eat, rather liberally by picking up the entire plant.... we didn't bother eating the stems (or roots), just pulled the leaves off and had those. You can eat them raw, but we prefer them cooked, just heat a pan up and throw the washed, wet leaves in, put a lid on and pull the pan off the heat. Leave for about 5 minutes until wilted, just like spinach.

View attachment 108907

View attachment 108906

View attachment 108907

We too are picking beans and gerkins/ pickles. Pickling gerkins.

Russ

Curiously enough, your "Warrigal Greens" is spinach over here. That's the standard spinach; the big leaf spinach (here it's called "Andean Spinach") is very hard to come by. I've tried eating the stems but I find them tough, although they might work for soup (which we rarely make).
It's Tetragonia tetragonioides. It's native to NZ, Aus, and Japan. It's part of the fig-marigold family (Aizoaceae). It's a coastal plant, but seems quite happy in our garden in areas that are very well drained.
It grows very quickly, so the top parts of the stems are edible here.

tetragonia-tetragoniodes.png

Spinach (Spinacia oleracea) itself is in a different family and tends to bolt and go to seed in hot weather whereas warrigal greens don't.

Back
Top Bottom