What's going on in your garden (2024)?

Change of plans.
I finally got radical and decided I was going to re-organise the front garden, with or without my wife's help.
It worked. Got the gardener in. He and I ripped out all the bromeliads, cleaned up the earth and, with a bit of luck, Saturday morning, we should have something a little prettier in the front than before.
PS: I did happen to mention that, if she wants her friends to see our "beautiful garden" next Thursday (she's invited 8 couples for lunch), then she needs to get her a*** in gear and help me out with the design)
That worked. Watch this space for future surprises. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

New garden 1.jpg
New garden 2.jpg
New garden 3.jpg

We've got snow and frozen dog turds out back..

I'm going to have plenty of frozen dog turds starting this weekend into next week. The are easy to clean up frozen. In fact, if you have a nine-iron, you can practice your chipping (into the neighbor's back yard). :D

CD

Last edited:
I'm going to have plenty of frozen dog turds stating this weekend into next week. The are easy to clean up frozen. In fact, if you have a nine-iron, you can practice your chipping (into the neighbor's back yard). :D

CD
We use hockey sticks up here..The snow blower can really fling them, too!

It's Tetragonia tetragonioides. It's native to NZ, Aus, and Japan. It's part of the fig-marigold family (Aizoaceae). It's a coastal plant, but seems quite happy in our garden in areas that are very well drained.
It grows very quickly, so the top parts of the stems are edible here.

View attachment 108912

Spinach (Spinacia oleracea) itself is in a different family and tends to bolt and go to seed in hot weather whereas warrigal greens don't.
Looks like what I know as New Zealand spinach.
It grows here just so so. It doesn't like the heat. I hope some comes back next season.

My garden is not doing well. It has just been too hot this summer with weeks of a daytime high over 45 oC in the shade.
My Thai basil has gone wild though. It loves it.

Rest is starting to recover a bit.

Finally got the Energiser Bunny in design mode and finished the front garden in 3 days. Off she went and bought white pebbles, broken bricks, Aliven (raw ceramic balls), fertiliser, and that was it. Got the gardener to position the rocks, trunks and heavy stuff.View attachment 109348View attachment 109349View attachment 109350

Now we've got loads of spare bromelias, which I'm going to pot and maybe even sell, who knows?View attachment 109351View attachment 109352View attachment 109353

Wow...I have serious garden envy. That looks amazing.

Seems like you have done a load of work.
Yes, we have; but it's only the third time in 15 years we've had to reorganise them. Now they're in order, the only thing they need is water. They're not prone to disease; insects keep away (because if they fall inside, they die); birds don't eat them.

Potatoes are gone leaving a big gap in garden. Wife will be planting out winter crops soon.
Lillies still blooming.
Havnt bought a lettuce in 2 months.
I'm making raspberry coulis later.

Russ
My potatoes are still roaming wild and trying to take over the world, veg plot.

Back
Top Bottom