What's going on in your garden (2024)?

Storm Jocelyn is here and has caused utter chaos

Screenshot_20240123-222154_Facebook.jpg

I have a poorly grapevine at the moment. It's been eaten by a caterpillar which has allowed a fungal infection to gain hold. Stripping it back yesterday meant I found these!
20240125_110456.jpg

My apple tree is also very confused. It is trying to flower for a second time whilst it still has ripening fruit on it.
20240125_110715.jpg

But the pear tree is in full swing. This is just a small portion of the fruit on it.
20240125_110911.jpg

For the last 4 or 5 years, we've exceeded 100kg of fruit from this 1 tree. Individual pears are often as large as a hand (palm and fingers). But unless it is netted in, we won't get any fruit at all because of the native wildlife.

I have a poorly grapevine at the moment. It's been eaten by a caterpillar which has allowed a fungal infection to gain hold. Stripping it back yesterday meant I found these!
View attachment 109552

My apple tree is also very confused. It is trying to flower for a second time whilst it still has ripening fruit on it.
View attachment 109553

But the pear tree is in full swing. This is just a small portion of the fruit on it.
View attachment 109554

For the last 4 or 5 years, we've exceeded 100kg of fruit from this 1 tree. Individual pears are often as large as a hand (palm and fingers). But unless it is netted in, we won't get any fruit at all because of the native wildlife.

My wife wants to plant fruit trees. We dont have the space you do

Russ

View attachment 109552

View attachment 109553

View attachment 109554

My peach tree at my old house was like that. I'd get 300-plus peaches every year in June. I had to wrap the whole tree in netting, or the birds would peck holes in every peach.

They would all ripped over a two to three week period, so I had to freeze some, and give at least half of them to friends and customers.

CD

My fruit trees are still young, but papaya, custard apple and masau are producing.
I'm getting my first limes this year. Next year, more of them should come.
Orange will still be a couple of years, same as the jack fruit, soursop and a couple trees that I can't remember what they are :)

My fruit trees are still young, but papaya, custard apple and masau are producing.
I'm getting my first limes this year. Next year, more of them should come.
Orange will still be a couple of years, same as the jack fruit, soursop and a couple trees that I can't remember what they are :)
What's masau? I've not heard of it before, or soursop.

We have quite a few trees here as well.

There's an ancient lemon tree with at least 3 crops of lemons on it, some now falling off and rotting. We simply can't use the quantity it produces. There's an apricot tree, red plum tree, prune (different variety of plum) tree, apple tree, dual graft pear tree, quince, red cherry plum tree, the grape vine, 2 large fig trees, a passionfruit that needs a pollinator that's just been planted, so next year I should get passionfruit. There's blueberry, barberry, red currant & white currant, 2 native berries I can't remember the name of but they've still got their label so I can look it up again, rhubarb, 2 varieties of raspberries, 2 olive trees, and a simply massive bay tree that's about 6m tall. I'm sure I'll have missed something from that list in the way of shrubs/trees or canes.

The original owners' (1960's) of the house we now rent used to grow all of the produce to run a grocery store in the 'local' (by Aussie standards) town (no such thing as a village in Australia. It's a hamlet, then town and then city). So we have inherited some of those much neglected fruit trees which I've been carefully helping to recover from a variety of diseases over the last 6 years. As well as nursing then through a very bad drought which saw 3 of them die from disease and drought. Nothing I could do, but they were an almond tree, a peach and a nectarine tree. :(

I've just added a lime tree and a pomegranate bush to that mix in the last month.

In the immediate vicinity are many more apple and pear trees, but they fall outside of the land we rent, so they are not netted over and the birds (mostly the very destructive sulphur crested cockatoos which are huge) strip the fruit from those trees in a matter of days once they 'find' them.

What's masau? I've not heard of it before, or soursop.
Masau grows everywhere around here. Apparently also called Indian Jujube
INDIAN JUJUBE (Ziziphus mauritiana) – BIZ
https://www.researchgate.net/figure...in-Zimbabwe-showing-ripe-yellow_fig1_40094232

Soursop is cherimoya or guyabano
Soursop - Wikipedia
I got custard apple as well and apparently those are called sweetsop
Sweetsop, Soursop, and Atemoya - Gardening Solutions - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences

Soursop is cherimoya or guyabano
Soursop - Wikipedia
I got custard apple as well and apparently those are called sweetsop
Sweetsop, Soursop, and Atemoya - Gardening Solutions - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences
Soursop is known as "guanabana" over here. While it's a member of the Chirimoya family (we've also got a fruit called "Anón", which is similar to the chirimoya), I'd say the soursop has a totally different flavour. Much more acidic, more citric, whereas the chirimoya is more "custardy".
When I can persuade her, my wife makes something called "Mostachón de Guanabana", which is a biscuit-based, cream-slathered, meringue-dotted, nut-sprinkled delight. :D

I had some custard apples last season. I didn't know what to expect. They are just sickingly sweet. Real real sweet!
I'll give away this years harvest.
But it is a nice tree :)

I think my jungle veg plot might need taming when I'm feeling a bit better.

20240209_113213.jpg

But I've another crop of raspberries on the way, and several butternut squash that don't think growing inside the veg plot is what they want to do.

20240209_113312.jpg

20240209_113402.jpg

This one is already in the 1-2kg mark. It was growing under a leaf so we didn't spot it.

20240209_113430.jpg

There are 3 or 4 like this on the outside of the veg plot. I've no idea what is growing inside because I can't get in!

But the potatoes and Jerusalem artichokes are also trying hard to escape.

20240209_113237.jpg
20240209_113225.jpg

I've lost track of the courgettes. I might try sending hubby in at the weekend to see if he can find them!

I think my jungle veg plot might need taming when I'm feeling a bit better.

View attachment 109862

But I've another crop of raspberries on the way, and several butternut squash that don't think growing inside the veg plot is what they want to do.

View attachment 109866

View attachment 109863
This one is already in the 1-2kg mark. It was growing under a leaf so we didn't spot it.

View attachment 109864

There are 3 or 4 like this on the outside of the veg plot. I've no idea what is growing inside because I can't get in!

But the potatoes and Jerusalem artichokes are also trying hard to escape.

View attachment 109865View attachment 109867

I've lost track of the courgettes. I might try sending hubby in at the weekend to see if he can find them!

We have second crop growing atm
Yay

Russ

Back
Top Bottom