What's the next best way to prepare fish instead of frying?

Zyni

Veteran
Local time
7:40 PM
I could eat fish every day. It's one of my favorites. I do tend to prefer fried fish, but I know it would be better for me if I prepared it another way. Well, maybe not, since one other way is to cook it in butter. What is a healthier way to prepare fish without making it bland?

Depends entirely on what type of fish it is,for baked fish a firm flakey fish similar to cod,you bake with spinach and cheese sauce
Fish like whole plaice ,you can grill to be really healthy or bake
You can steam delicate fillets like halibut
Poaching there is no added fat ,cook the fish I a flavoured boullion ,or stock,salon is the one for this ,with new potatoes
Or a really fresh fish you can salt and add citrus and flavourings,press some weight on it and eat the fish raw,like a cerviche,again salmon is tops for this
I sometimes cook fish in a paper bag - en paupiette- it's for delicate fish again,but you seal the fish with a little wine and herbs in paper and it steams in the oven you can then turn the cooking liquer into a sauce

I like steamed fish. Chinese restaurants have really good selections of steamed fish. I like steamed King Fish with onion leeks. :) You can also try making fish with tamarind soup. :)

I could eat fish every day. It's one of my favorites. I do tend to prefer fried fish, but I know it would be better for me if I prepared it another way. Well, maybe not, since one other way is to cook it in butter. What is a healthier way to prepare fish without making it bland?

Zyni, the "next best way'? I am not even call frying the best way. You simply have to try grilling some fish. It's going to be heavenly and healthier. Grilled fish is a big thing in my country. It's like everyday another home based business is springing up and one sure thing to find on the menu is some grilled fish. I spoke before of a fishing town where grilled fish is the big attraction for visitors and locals alike. Dolphin, Blue Marlin, Bill Fish and King fish are mostly offered You stand watch while your fish is being prepared.

The fish we mostly fry around here is Flying Fish and steamed it is part of our National Dish. Pan Searing has become a personal favourite of mine. So you have lots of options including baking fish. Still a well fried piece of fish is delightful.

Last edited:
Although fried fish tastes great, there are healthier ways in which to prepare fish. Fish can be grilled, baked or steamed. When I am not frying fish, I am usually steaming it. I have had baked fish on a few occasions, and I have also tasted grilled fish, but this has been when out somewhere like at a restaurant, since I do not have a grill in my home at the moment. I think grilled fish is great though.

Zyni, the "next best way'? I am not even call frying the best way. You simply have to try grilling some fish. It's going to be heavenly and healthier. Grilled fish is a big thing in my country. It's like everyday another home based business is springing up and one sure thing to find on the menu is some grilled fish. I spoke before of a fishing town where grilled fish is the big attraction for visitors and locals alike. Dolphin, Blue Marlin, Bill Fish and King fish are mostly offered You stand watch while your fish is being prepared.

The fish we mostly fry around here is Flying Fish and steamed it is part of our National Dish. Pan Searing has become a personal favourite of mine. So you have lots of options including baking fish. Still a well fried piece of fish is delightful.

Ah, yes, we have discussed the grilled fish before. I'm not the grill master around here though. I have to get my husband to make some for me.

Steamed and baked and all that sound so blah. Boring, plain, bland. That's why I was looking for something else, and of course, my friend Wintrybella comes to the rescue with pan searing! That sounds perfect.

Ah, yes, we have discussed the grilled fish before. I'm not the grill master around here though. I have to get my husband to make some for me.

Steamed and baked and all that sound so blah. Boring, plain, bland. That's why I was looking for something else, and of course, my friend Wintrybella comes to the rescue with pan searing! That sounds perfect.

Pan seared is perfect.I really do think so. While the grilling has come to be a big thing around here I have to say when I was introduced to pan searing ' it took the cake'. The only steaming that I like is of our flying fish nicely rolled and done in a nice stew which is not steamed in the true sense of the word. Baked is also not a favourite of mine as I feel like I need to do too much sometimes depending on the fish. My favourite for baking is tilapia but the others here like that mostly fried. Different people with different likes.

I'm a fan of those cooking bags you can buy. I'll just place the fish in one of these, seal it up and place in the oven for around 15 mins. Nice and easy and stops the fish from drying out. I realise that this is "cheating" somewhat but doing this always gives me a good result.

So tilapias are back in the house and when they are around, they are around I used them like crazy. You guessed: they are super easy to prepare. I oven baked some and fried some today. Earlier in the week I was baking nearly every night with a twist. Most variations included fresh garlic and butter. Missibishi, I like your cheating. Not sure we have those bags here.

I lie the fish on some tinfoil, season with salt and pepper, add a squeeze of lemon and a small knob of butter and then bake in a preheated oven. You can add any extra flavourings to the fish, such as garlic, chilli, dill etc.Different fish work with different flavours.Grilling or steaming are probably the healthiest options though.

I really love fish, it is one of the few things I will fry. I also bake or broil my fish with a seafood rub that is very good.

Aside from eating fried fish steaming is one way how I prepare my fish. I put onions, garlic and tomatoes inside the fish then sprinkle it with a dash of salt and pepper to taste and then wrap it with aluminum foil before I steam it. Then for its sauce I mix soy sauce, lemon juice, onion and red pepper for a spicy taste. And its good eating fish this way.

I bake fish in the oven or throw it on the grill. In both cases I put the fish in aluminum foil salt and pepper it, put some minced garlic, butter and lemon on it. Throw two or three thin slices of lemon on top and lightly close the foil up around it. Throw it in the preheated oven or on the grill and it is ready in minutes and delicious.

Thank you for all the ideas, guys. Some of these sound quite nice. I've also found that "oven frying" will work on some types of fish. I'd done it before with chicken and stuff and thought, "what they heck - why not," so I tried it with some fish. It's a lot less fat, but you still get a nice crispy, tasty, crust and flaky inside. Yum.

I've never tried cooking bags for fish. Sounds like a plan!

Back
Top Bottom