What's the next best way to prepare fish instead of frying?

As much as possible, we broil our fish instead of frying because it tastes better and is healthier. But fish is tender and it cannot be cooked in the normal way on the griller. What we usually do is wrap the fish in foil and put it on top of the burning charcoal. For 20 minutes, the fish is like over baked. What's good in the foil is you can add garnishing like tomatoes and herbs for flavoring. By the way, our best dip for broiled fish is lemon butter. How I wish to have that for lunch tomorrow... but it's raining.

I love fish cooked on the bbq. Grilled fish is probably the best tasting way for me. I do it much that same way as khonesm1 does. I put it in the foil, sprinkle some spices on it, some lemon juice. I usually throw a few onions o the top, wrap it up and throw in on the grill. It is so good that way.

I like my fish filleted and placed in and a light marinade with fresh lemon juice, few drops of Worcester sauce, little salt and ground black pepper. I only marinade for about a minute, remove the filets and dust them with flour prior to pan fry with some clarified butter or olive oil. With the marinade a make a creamy sauce. I place the marinade in to a small sauté pan, add a touch of white wine and some cream. Reduce a little and add fresh dill or tarragon.
When I cook a whole fish, I make a stuffing which goes in to the belly part first, using onions, garlic, diced whole lemon, some lemon grass and coriander stems. I season the fish first with salt and pepper, then seal the fish on both sides in a oven prove fry pan first. Then I place the fish in to a preheated oven for about 15 to 20 minutes, depending of the fish and size. The temperature I set to 180 degrees Celsius.

I would be cautious of using aluminum foil with tomatoes - I've always been told it will make them bitter since the acid in the tomatoes reacts with the aluminum. There is another similar method for baked fish which is wrapped in a packet of parchment paper. It's a French method I believe, but I can't recall the name of the cooking method. You basically just place the fish in some parchment, along with aromatics such as onion, celery, fennel, butter, wine, whatever. Then fold up the parchment and crimp the edges so it's a little packet, and place it on a baking sheet and bake it. The fish will steam in it's own juices.

Have you ever tried a ceviche? It's a cooking method where the raw fish is basically cooked in an acid such as lemon or lime juice - no heat involved. It's very refreshing in the summer months and also really healthy too. I usually get shrimp ceviche, but I've also had it prepared with other types of fish such as tilapia. You need fresh fish though to do that method, it doesn't work well with frozen fish.

My favourites are smoked fish and grilled fish. I ate smoked salmon and I have to admit I have never tried anything so nice. Last three years I am a vegetarian but sometimes I eat fish to have enough iron in my blood or so my doctor said. Now when I buy fish either I smoke it or grill it. I have a small home made smoker but it is not functional right now so I use my friend's. My grill is OK, though. When I grill it first I stuff the fish with some veggies. Garlic is not optional and olive oil. The smell of oil on the grill and the fish is epic.

In our household, we have a method of stuffing the fish then topping it in onions and veggies. Parsley, lemons, garlic, ginger, anything you desire. I like to use lemons, garlic and parsley. We then put it either in the oven or over indirect heat in our BBQ to roast until it's done. Cooking time depends on the kind of fish you use. When we get good salmon. I always get a piece of cedar or maple plank and grill the fish on it. The smokey taste with the fish is awesome. I hope this way inspires you. It is so easy to change it up.

Steam it! Add a sauce for flavor. There are a lot of Asian and Asian-inspired recipes out there you can try depending on your palette. You can have sweet and sour fish or steamed fish in a light soy, garlic and ginger sauce.

I could eat fish every day. It's one of my favorites. I do tend to prefer fried fish, but I know it would be better for me if I prepared it another way. Well, maybe not, since one other way is to cook it in butter. What is a healthier way to prepare fish without making it bland?
Marinate, in KC lemon pepper marinade overnight. then top with either lemon pepper seasoning, or Citrus Grill seasoning, or Mrs. Dash Caribbean Citrus seasoning. lay Paper thin slices of red onion and lemon over fish and either grill, bake on 375, until fish is Just done. you can also wrap in foil pouches, and bake, Spray a piece of foil with cooking spray or olive oil spray, put about 1/2 to 1 cup cooked rice directly on the sprayed foil. top with your marinated fish, then surround it with matchstick carrots. or shredded carrots. wrap fold the foil so the you get a double fold on the seam leaving some space for air circulation inside. something like this recipe.
http://www.copymethat.com/r/wlxV8aK/lemon-and-herb-salmon-packets/

Back
Top Bottom